Boutique Hotel Experience Bhutan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone tried the recently opened two boutique hotels in Bhutan? How was your experience?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:43 PM
owl

Hello, Alex. I would be interested in this answer too since we're going to Bhutan in January! Which tour operator are you going to use?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM

If you are referring to the new Aman hotel, the Amankora in Paro, I have not seen it, but would have no hesitation in highly recommending it, based on stays at their other properties.

What are the names of the hotels you are referring to?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Indeed I am referring to the amankora and the como hotel.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM

OK, I have learned something new today. I looked up Como, and see they operate the Metropolitan hotel in Bangkok (generally gets good reviews here, run a search) and Begawan Giri in Bali which I have always found interesting. I would say that you probably would find the Aman to be the more luxurious of the two, based their rates and what I know of Como's other hotels. I don't think you would be disappointed with either, however.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I just came back from Bangkok a few days ago and met the Director of Marketing for Asia at the Metropolitan Hotel and she had a staff member deliver me a whole packet of information on the COMO hotels of which one is in Bhutan. If it's as nice as the Metropolitan, then I would go for it. I absolutely loved the Metropolitan and would definitely stay there again. I'm thinking about Bhutan in Dec 2005, so if you stay at the COMO facility, would you post your opinion. There is a brand new COMO facility in Bali called Uma which the director of marketing gave me tons of information on and they have a promotional rate of $145. until the end of December this year. She's Indonesian and has a house on Bali and knows the island like the back of her hand. This new facility is located in Ubud...Kedewatan...great area. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:12 AM

Since it's almost been a year since this was posted, just wondering if there are people who have visited Uma Paro or Amankora that can share their experiences.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Still not yet... But, I'll be headed to Bhutan this winter and will try to stay at least one night at the Uma Paro (the Como hotel).

I really loved the Uma Ubud in Bali and have seen a lot of photos of the new property in Bhutan. It looks great to me. However, keep in mind that the room rates you pay for either the Uma Paro or Aman resort are over and above the $200 a day per person fee you'll already be paying to be in Bhutan. That fee includes hotels and meals, but not these two luxury properties.

Have you seen a recent Vogue magazine article on Bhutan? The writer, models, and photographers chose Uma Paro as their base and loved it. There are some nice photos in the article.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I saw the vogue article. Interesting. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Hi, Alex
I was in Bhutan in September and although I did not stay at either I went to visit both hotels. My guide had worked for Uma so all knew him there and I had a tour of each hotel. Since I know one lady at Conde Nast UK who wrote the articles and told me her opinion I kind of knew what to expect.
Aman is a big dissapointment. The locals call it the 'Prison'. All rooms are beige, brown and grey. In my opinion, the place is souless... All the rooms have nice views but that's about it. That week (highest season in Bhutan due to the Festivals) only 3 guests were paying the $1,000 per night.
Uma was quite different. I loved it. I am sure that I'd stay there next time I go to Bhutan. First, they have different types of room (aman just has 1 type of rooms). The place feels warm and relaxed and cool - all at once. The yoga studio must be one of the nices place on earth to do yoga.
The Villas are quite something too.
The only problem with Uma for the time being is that they do not offer excursions - if you take a excursion you must go back to sleep there.
This may change in the future.
Ahh, the conde nast person had already said that the aman was cold.. and Uma was nicer.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I saw Amankora while it was under construction and it deed not seem a prison to me and from the pictures of the website the rooms seem huge and very stylish but not very vernacular (I think it just depends on your taste). Also Uma Paro seems beautiful (while from the pictures the room seem slighlty more ordinary). The upside of Uma may be the indoor pool, but I expect Amankora to have an amazing spa.
Another upside of Amankora is that they own other 3 places in the country so you can travel and see different places with all the comforts.
By the way, I travelled to Bhutan when none of the accomodations I have been to where comparable to these plushy spots, but I swear it has been one of the most incredibly amazing experience of my life.