Boracay--Yes or No?

Nov 7th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Clawman

Boracay--Yes or No?

Looking for some gut impressions of Boracay Island, Philippines in December. Too crowded? Good diving? Where to stay if if we want to avoid concrete rooms? Any observations appreciated. (I'm travelling with wife and two teenaged daughters.)

Jul 8th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Steve

Hi family went to boracay two years ago.
Although we did have a great time, we were a little dissapointed. We stayed at a resort called Club Panoly which is the northern part of the beach and found it to be run down and a little dirty. When we complained to the office, they looked at us like we were crazy. They said the room was immaculate, but it was not. We found that to be the case in many of the places. It was a beautiful place, but I have been to nicer places.

Jul 10th, 2002, 01:35 AM
HKTraveler

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject should speak up but isn't the Philippines a bit dangerous considering all the tourist kidnappings that happened in recent years?

Jul 10th, 2002, 09:24 AM
mary

I am a Filipina married to an American who has lived in the Philippines for 17 years. Although I am now an American citizen and haved lived in the U.S. for 17 years also, I am pretty much in tuned to what's happening down there as my husband and I planned a trip to the Philippines two years ago and cancelled them due to the kidnappings.

I am not discouraging anybody from going to Boracay because of this, but we've made the decision because of the bombing that occured at the airport in Manila, and soon after that, kidnappings took place.

On another note, recently though, my Filipina friend went to various islands in the Philippines even closer to Mindanao and said that it was very safe for her and she had a great time. She also travelled by herself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you have a lot of Filipino connection in the islands or have travelled there before and know your way around, it may not be too bad to go at this time.

Otherwise, if you really want to go, just take some precautions and if I were you, make a lot of friends...in case, something did happen, at least they may be able to protect you. In some remote places of the Philippines, a visit to the City Mayor would really help a lot. They might be able to find a way to protect you or otherwise, offer their home for you to stay.

Just my insight.

Oct 5th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Dave

Boracay was simply beautiful and i would recommend it highly. It's always been rated in the top beaches of the world.

It is not the carribean or developed resort and that's what I like about it. It's a cross between backpacker haven, Filipino getaway and a few fancier resorts. But that's what I like about it. Lots of Europeans. I don't like the developed type places and that's why it still seems somewhat unspoiled. Not to say there isn't anything to do there. There is plenty of bars/restaurants/and cottage type accomodations along White beach.

The sand is super soft and super white. The water is clear as gin and turquoise. I stayed there a total of 7 days there. Accom costs about $10-30 US/night for nothing fancy but clean (of course no air cond) there are few of those places and you'll be looking at least $60 for a/c. Don't come here expecting to find the Hilton or Sheraton!! It does not exist!!!!

Food is cheap
Diving is ok and reasonable. $25-30 for a dive. I did one dive there. The snorkelling offshore on the main beach has been destroyed by dynamite fishing. If you're on other parts of the island it's better. Puka beach is nice and deserted as well as the northly one where the bat caves are.

Most violence in the Philippines is in the southern islands where the Mulsims fight. This is far removed from Boracay and Manila.

If you have any questions you can contact me. Go visit my personal website/travelogue as i go into more detail about the Philippines as well as my world travel which extends Asia/Southeast Asia/India/Nepal/Africa/Europe/MiddleEast and of course North America. It's quite informative.

here's the address:

http://members.fortunecity.com/namabeer/index.html

Dave

Oct 5th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Bert

Boracay Island,Philippines is a beatiful places to visit. People there are very kind and it is how you deal to them that matters. Be humble as a tourist because whenever you go around if you look for trouble you will find it. Tell your friends when you have a good vacation. Happy trip on December 2002. Thanks.

Nov 12th, 2002, 08:45 PM
gai

i live in the philippines and travel quite a bit around the country. i often go to siargao to visit my boyfriend who is a frenchman with a resort that was featured in architectural digest (www.pansukian.com or www.geocities.com/pansukian although the latter is not updated). just as there is trouble anywhere -- and i mean ANYWHERE -- in the world, the philippines has its share but it's not as dangerous as the media portrays it to be. most parts are quiet and safe. boracay, being a high profile tourist destination, has increased security, so i don't think there should be any problems over there.

boracay is a beautiful island and is definitely worth the visit. there's a resort called sand castles that is nice. at least, the last time i was there. do not stay at club panoly as it is off the main beach. i suggest taking a flight to caticlan, then a boat that will drop you off at station 1, the left-most side of the beach and also the least cluttered. then you can walk up the beach and find one that suits you.

you may need an advanaced license for some dives there.