Book on Angkor

Dec 21st, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Book on Angkor

Another last-minute question re. Angkor: I am looking for recommendations on a book on the complex. I have looked at Laur's "Angkor: An Illustrated Guide to the Monuments" and Freeman's "Ancient Angkor," but really can't tell from online searches which is better. Please let me know if you have found one of these -- or a different one altogether -- useful. I'd like something well-written and not too dry.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

People on this board have highly recommended Dawn Rooney's book as readable and an excellent guide. I have had trouble finding it though as perhaps a new edition is pending.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:39 AM

I like Dawn Rooney's book the best as an excellent book to prepare for a trip to Angkor as well as a guide to take along. I do believe a new edition is pending, so it may be harder to find. On the other hand, you may be able to find it cheaply at a used book store.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM

you can buy ann rooneys book at the bkk airport upstairs bookstore (next to photo booth)...or at the entrance where you purchase your temple passes or cheap imitation copies at the temple sites (black and white copies).

i could not find a copy before i left for cambodia but they were everywhere in cambodia.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 04:41 AM

I was in Siem Reap in November and bought a color copy of the Rooney book from one of the book seller carts in town for $6.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM

Remember that all of the books you buy from the vendors on the street in Cambodia are copies. Try to get Dawn Rooney's book before you go, as that will allow you time to prepare for your trip and choose the temples you want to see.

If you are flying out of Siem Reap, the best collection of books on Cambodia is in the departure lounge of the airport. This is a great place to buy some of the incredible photography books on Angkor. Save some room in your carry-on!