Boat to the Summer Palace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me where to get the boat to the Summer Palace. It seems like a very interesting way. Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ce-by-boat.cfm

This question was answered for me here - basically, behind the zoo or near the Exhibition Centre. I've decided it will be easier to go by Metro to Beigongmen, and take the boat back afterwards.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:39 PM

Tried the boat last week. Turned out to not be much of a thrill for the four teenagers in our group. However it was amusing to see the parents with little ones get on the boat at the zoo. Needless to say parents all over the world look the same after a day at the zoo with their little one.
If you do decide to take a slow boat in China with loud megaphone Mandarin overtones, make a right across the multistory cylindrical McDonald's. It looks like you are going in the parking lot area of a hotel. The stand there will sell you a ticket. The trip required two boat changes and there was not a lot to see. We wish we had just gone to the Summer Palace and taken a boat ride on the lake while there. There is a subway line that is very convenient to the back gate of summer palace if you decide to just get there quickly. The boat stops at 4pm and the Summer Palace doesn't close till 8pm at this time of year. That may affect your travel decisions.
What a stunningly beautiful site. We had a fantastic time there. I doubt that the Emperors realized they were building a beautiful park for the future residents of Beijing but that is what they did.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Tried the boat last week. Turned out to not be much of a thrill for the four teenagers in our group. However it was amusing to see the parents with little ones get on the boat at the zoo. Needless to say parents all over the world look the same after a day at the zoo with their little one.
If you do decide to take a slow boat in China with loud megaphone Mandarin overtones, make a right across the multistory cylindrical McDonald's. It looks like you are going in the parking lot area of a hotel. The stand there will sell you a ticket. The trip required two boat changes and there was not a lot to see. We wish we had just gone to the Summer Palace and taken a boat ride on the lake while there. There is a subway line that is very convenient to the back gate of summer palace if you decide to just get there quickly. The boat stops at 4pm and the Summer Palace doesn't close till 8pm at this time of year. That may affect your travel decisions.
What a stunningly beautiful site. We had a fantastic time there. I doubt that the Emperors realized they were building a beautiful park for the future residents of Beijing but that is what they did.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks so much for this information, randomwalkers - I'd decided to go by train and come back by boat (in about two weeks time) but will think twice now. Don't fancy the loud megaphone at all! I'd envisaged a nice quiet trip, possibly cool and green.

Any thoughts on the organised weekend bus tour from Southern Cathedral to Mutiniayu (spelling?) as opposed to doing it ourselves to Badaling?

How did you enjo Expo? We go there on our way home, end of July.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM

Loved the Expo--
Just posted on the Shanghai area our list of things to know going in.
I would imagine that the narration on the boat would have been interesting if one understood Mandarin... and the ride relaxing but not for 4 energetic teenagers who wanted everything to happen fast. I don't know where you get on the boats that were on the lake in front of the summer palace. Maybe someone could help out with that info. That would have provided some great photo ops of the buildings.