BKK WALK FRIENDLY AREAS

Search

BKK WALK FRIENDLY AREAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK WALK FRIENDLY AREAS

We really enjoy just wandering on foot. Some of our fondest travel memories are just wandering the streets of Paris, Venice , New York etc. I know BKK is notoriously a tough walking city. Are there any streets or neighborhoods that are good for wandering from shop to shop and then you stumble on to a good spot to eat or drink then meander some more?
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM

Lots of the sois off of Sukhumvit qualify, and I always enjoy walking in Chinatown.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM

I haven't found Bangkok to be a tough walking city. I walk it all of the time. Just be careful of possible uneven sidewalks and power lines hang everywhere and sometimes very low. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM

Across the river on Thonburi side, there's a great walk you can do from Wat Arun down to Wat Kalayanimit and the Santa Cruz church. Nice peaceful part of town to meander.

If you're around Chinatown, don't forget to wander around the flower market (Pak Klong Talaat).

If you fancy a real local market, check out Khlong Toey market
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM

we like sukhumvit for its variety and silom rd is a great wide street with interesting shops and restaurants....wireless road is good to at the end by the hotels
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM

i would recommend Khao San road and Phra Athit road. Very intersting and a lot of activities there. There is a lot of pub and restaurant there where you can dine and relax. There is some cocktail booth beside the street. Seem to be nice but we did not try them since we just had our dinner and are too full for that. Just nice watching people along the road.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Siam Square has lots of tiny shops, some in air-conditioned areas.

Walk along Khao San Road, right into Chakra Phong at the end then (5 mins) right again at one of the streets full of market stalls on your right and follow the road back to the other end of Khao San.

Chinatown has lots of good walks where you can see all sorts of things for sale, as well as 2 major markets (the one off of Charoen Krung has old stuff Sunday but gets very busy early in the morning. Aisles are narrow.

From the World Trade Centre on the corner of Ratchaprarop and Phloen Chit, walk northwards, turn left at Petchburi (you can't miss the flyover), walk along to the Pantip Plaza, look inside, then cross the road and walk back to Ratchaprarop. Cross the road and back south to Phloen Chit.

I find the shopping centres easiest to walk around as they are semi-air conditioned and have seats and food places. Most people go to MBK but don't get to Lad Prao Mall (pronounced Lat Pro) which is about 120 baht from Siam by taxi or take the 22 air-conditioned bus. Also Pinklao market south of the river, a short taxi ride from Khao San road. There is also The Mall at Mahai Sawan (it's at the end of the bus 15 route). Also two Malls opposite each other on Ramkhamhaeng, about Soi 12. There is a big street market there some nights. There are numerous other malls like one on bus 38, 46 and 48 routes out of town (near Bangna highway). There used to be one at the end of Tak Sin and Lart Ya but it looked to be about ready to close when I was last there in February.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM

While I think of it, pop into a Tesco store while in Bangkok. There is one past the end of the Skytrain, past MBK on the other side of the road. Another by the Skytrain stop at On Nut. They are "all under one roof" stores and stock: Johnson's Baby Powder. It is an excellent anti-sweat powder and counters prickly heat without ruining your clothes. It is ideal for Bangkok when it is hot and sticky. One of my first purchases when I arrive.

If you like good ice cream, try Dairy Queen ice cream while there. They have booths in most malls.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Bookmarking for future trip.