BKK hotel recommendation for late night arrival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving on Feb 18 at 1150 PM in BKK and traveling to Krabi in the morning at 6 A. Where would you stay for a few hours that would be clean and decent.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM

The airport itself has short term rooms that might be fine. You are on the NWA flight from Tokyo, right? We are arriving Dec 23 on that flight, but will go to the Conrad...but we are departing BKK the next morning at 10:35. If we were departing so early, it will only be a matter of maybe 4 hours that you will have to relax...I'd stay right in the airport. http://www.airportthai.co.th/airport....html#-Others1 I would reserve one in advance.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM

if you choose not to stay at the airport there are a couple of hotels not too far...they are the rama gardens and the cost is about $60-80 double....

the miracle grand is about the same distance...not sure of price...

i have stayed at two comfort suites places and they are not all that great but cheap...they have a van to the airport....they might be about $50-60...

you will be through customs by 1AM so you really have only 4 hours....maybe you should just stay in the airport....personally i would change my krabi flight to later in the day and go into bkk and stay someplace nice or i would go the next day to krabi and stay in bkk overnite and not rush...is this possible??

i take that n/w flight all the time and it is a killer....you really need a good bed after all that...its 30 hours from my house in boston to the marriott in bkk using n/w....

don't undrestimate how tired you will be on the day after you arrive...
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM

How long does it take to get from the Rama Gardens to the airport? We have a 6:40 am flight and thought it would be better to stay here than our hotel in downtown Bangkok. I heard you can walk from the the Amari but it's the same price as our luxury hotel downtown.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't move out of the Peninsula to go to an airport hotel...I'd stay there and enjoy it for as long as you can. I think if you ask them they will also deliver your breakfast to your room early so you can at least have a nice meal. We're staying 3 nights at a downtown hotel (Majestic Grande) with a 6 am departure and not too worried about getting up early, as at that hour you aren't really saving much time at all by staying near the airport - and 4 am or 4:30 am...not much different. I also found the Amari to be priced way above what I'd pay for an airport hotel.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks. We are at Peninsula! What time do you think we have to leave the Peninsula to get to a 6:40 flight.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I just wrote on the other thread that it's always taken us 20 minutes. Flying domestic or international? Makes a difference in what time you have to check in.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM

We are flying international to Tokyo on United. If we leave at 4:30am from Peninsula is that enough time for 6:40 flight?
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM

For me, plenty of time. United will tell you to check in 2-3 hours before your flight in order to clear customs and security. We will be flying Jan 9 from BKK to NRT on NWA's 6:00 am flight...and leaving the Majestic Grande at 4:00 or a bit after for that flight.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to decide if we should go to the beach first or just do BKK first. I have no settled on where weather it is Phuket or Krabi or Phi Phi. I know that Phuket would be the easist to transfer. Yes we are coming in from Narita originating from Detroit. I have not yet secured our flights to the beach so maybe we have more than just a few hours. Should we go to the Hilton then?
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM

If I were you, coming from Detroit, I'd make a later departure from BKK if you are set on departing BKK at all the day after you arrive. When we fly home to Japan from Boston, we don't even go home the day of arrival in Japan as it is 4 more hours of travel from the airport to our house. DTW-NRT-BKK is even longer than BOS-DTW-NGO that we usually do, I would not want to be getting on yet another plane with so little rest time. If it were me, I'd book a flight for the next day and stay in a nice hotel in BKK. We are in the Conrad on night one, using points, not money, though the pay rate wasn't too bad.

Do you mean the Millenium Hilton? It might be open then.

What do you mean Phuket would be the easiest to transfer? If you want to go to Krabi, you can fly to Krabi airport and transfer to your hotel very easily. Phi Phi island resorts, as well as resorts on other small islands, can arrange your transfers to the hotels from either airport if you like. Anywhere in Phuket or Khao Lak area is also easy to arrange. You can also arrange the transfers by yourself if you wish. No transfer problems at all no matter where you want to go. Once you choose where you are going, ask the hotel how to go about getting there if it isn't in the information you already have,

For your flights, you have choices of airlines too. Bangkok Air, Thai Air, Nok Air, Air Asia...there maybe more, but those are the ones I checked.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I'd go to the beach first so you won't have to deal with jet lag when you get to bangkok.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:35 PM

kim...i did not know you were from boston...so are we....where?? we are in needham...

20 minutes from penn to airport.. i do not think that is possible...

for our 6 AM flight we get up at 3, have room svc at 3:15 and leave hotel at 3:30...it usually takes 35-40 min from penn or marriott riverside to airport at that time of day...we have gone by surface road once or twice and most often by toll road....i use aac limo to take us usually ...

we will no longer stay out at the airport...its not worth it....getting back to the airport from rama gardens is a hastle honestly....you might just as well stay in town...
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM

I'm from Boston 10 years ago...that's the last place we lived...next to Brookline Liquors on Comm Ave. My parents are in Princeton, MA, where I grew up. Haven't lived there since high school though.

I swear I am not imagining it taking 20 minutes to get to the airport. This is kind of gross, but the last time we were in Bangkok, I got really sick, just prior to departure (could it have been the burgers we ate at the Outback Steakhouse...probably). We were in the limo and I was dying to throw up...literally. We made it to the airport in 20 minutes, I timed it, by second-hand, counting down 30 minutes and pleasantly surprised (as pleasant a surprise as an airport bathroom could be).

We were going to stay at the Asia airport hotel, and changed to the Conrad, first to pay $145.00/night but then it turned out we could use points so I booked the free night instead. I think it'll be a lot nicer. Thank you for that advice! They told me the airport was 25 - 30 minutes.