Biz or Coach

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 09:22 AM
JFM

Biz or Coach

I am going to Japan this summer, and I need help. I have enough FF Miles to fly biz class, but doing so will leave my account balance very low. I would be flying on AA or JAL, which I believe have more leg room than most. My question is this, is it worth it to spend 25k more miles to fly biz class from Dallas to Tokyo or Osaka? Will I die in coach (I am 6ft 240lbs -- a little more concerned about shoulder width than leg room)? All replies greatly appreciated. If I fly coach, I'll have 40k in my account vs. 15k if I fly biz class.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 09:40 AM
Kathie

I think it's always worthwhile to fly business class. At your size, I would expect that flying coach for that long would be torture. I don't know what your FF program allows, but United allows you to buy a coach ticket and upgrade with miles to business class. That way, I earn miles on my trip (which you don't on a free trip) and it doesn't take as many miles to fly in comfort.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:15 AM
mauld

I would agree, and I don't think it matters how big or small you are!! Flying for that length of time in coach has to be horrible, and I'm sure any coach passenger, given the chance would move up. That being said, go for as low an upgradeable fare and use your miles.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 05:22 PM
Al

Having just flown Los Angeles to Saigon and back, I have a lot sympathy for you.
My first choice would be to pop for the business class seat. You will arrive at both destinations in much better condition. However, there is a second alternative if you choose to fly coach. On a 747-300, on the port side (left side facing forward) there are four rows of seats immediately aft of the entrance door, rows 44, 45, 46, 47, that contain two seats only. On some 747 configurations, there are similar seating arrangements far to the rear of the plane. The 44th row, the first of these two seats together, may afford you both extra leg room and extra shoulder room (if you get the window seat). Otherwise, try those aft seats.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 02:00 PM
andrea

Well, it's tough decision, one I recently made myself. In the end, I opeted for the extra miles. I could have flown business to Indonesia, but since United is having an award sale, I'm using the diffenence in the miles to now go to Italy! I only needed to pull another 10,000 miles from my account, as the trip to Italy is now 15,000 less than it usually is. I'm a large woman, and have always flown coach, even on long trips to India, Thailand, and Europe. Only once was it uncomfortable, having been seated next to a very large man on a full flight. I figure, it's just a brief moment in time and hey, now you've got all those miles for another free trip! On the other hand, if you've got some $$$ & don't need the miles, go for business.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 04:58 PM
Jen

We flew coach on JAL from Vancouver to KL, with a layover at Narita. My husband is about your size (well, precisely, really) and he SWORE he would NEVER again fly coach on a long distance flight after that. JAL is *not* roomy.

He ached for two months after our arrival. Good thing we were going only one way!