Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Better to prebook excursions or wait and book in Phuket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at alot of day excursions from Phuket on internet sites. Could you please tell me if it would be better to prebook these or wait till I get to Phuket and book them. I am looking at day trips to Phi Phi islands, Phuket elephant conservation project, Phang Nga bay. I think at this point I am planning on probably Katathrani hotel. Will the be convient for these day trips and do they pick up from there or is it too far away? All your great advice as always is greatly apprectiated.

Thanks,April
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM

From my experience, the cost of tours on the web is more than I find once I am at the particular location. I recommend that you wait until you are in Phuket, and don't just book with whatever tour company the hotel has to offer. You can generally find cheaper tour operators elsewhere.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I would wait. We were in Phuket last month and there are tons of tour offices everywhere you go and various companies to choose from so you can compare itineraries and prices.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Also you have a better idea of what the weather will be like and have more flexibility.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM

When we went to Phuket last March-April, I felt initially that I wanted everything "internet researched" and booked...because I am a planner! However, we found much better deals once we were there. The only excursion I booked ahead of time was John Grey's sea kayak tour. Mainly, because we were doing the overnight camping on a deserted island with his company and then they transferred us to Krabi. This tour was by far and away my most favorite thing we did on the whole trip. In fact we are going back to Phuket in Feb and we will do his cave tour again, minus the camping and transfer.
Our Phi Phi island tour was found at a vendor in Patong. IT turned out to be far cheaper than what the JW Marriott offered and it was really good.

Best of luck and have a great time!