Best temples to visit in Kyoto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am very excited to be traveling to Kyoto next month. Since I am planning to explore the city's beautiful temples, I want to make sure I don't miss any of the must-see ones. Could you please suggest some of the most popular temples that I shouldn't miss out on?

Additionally, I am also interested in discovering some lesser-known hidden gems that are worth visiting. If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them. Thank you!
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:44 AM

Kiyomizudera is probably most famouis. It is an uphill walk on a street with shops or I think a taxi can get you there going a back way. Temples are Buddhist and there are also Shinto shrines.

24 Best Temples and Shrines in Kyoto - Kyoto’s Most Important Shines and Temples – Go Guides (hotels.com)
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 06:59 PM

Hello! I had lived in Kyoto for two years before. I recommend you to visit Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine! It is very famous and beautiful place, so I think you will like it.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 12:58 PM

My family and I visited in May last year, and very much loved Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji. Kiyomizudera is extremely popular, but I didn't think the temple was that beautiful. On previous trips, I enjoyed Sanjusangendo, and the gardens at Ginkakuji. Be prepared to share the temples with busloads of Japanese schoolchildren on their spring trips. No matter where you go, you will likely see loads of them. Luckily, they were all very well-behaved and everyone allowed each other their photo opps, but a crowd's a crowd, so bring your patience. Have fun in Kyoto!
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 05:58 PM

Some temples not to miss in Kyoto are Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari. Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion) is simply breathtaking, especially when the light hits it just right. And Fushimi Inari is just awesome to see the rows of torii gates going up the mountain. Those two are definitely must-sees.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:28 PM

I can only mention 4 that I managed. Kiyomizu for sure day and if possible night although it is easy to get disoriented and seperated, Kinkakuji although it is not old. The grounds are great. Ryonji for the rock garden and Koti-in for the moss garden. Nanzinju got away from me that time (Spring break). One recommendation for an eating experience is Fire Raman, yep the name is it. It is on the corner farthest from the Palace entrance. Lines build up for a reason..

Last edited by rexedwards2890; Apr 18th, 2024 at 08:39 PM.