Best Roads - Java and Sumatra

Old Mar 10th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Roads - Java and Sumatra

Hello. Can anyone recommend best roads (less traffic, more scenery) through Java and Sumatra? I leave by motorcycle on April 5th from Bali. Thank you.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rellek View Post
Hello. Can anyone recommend best roads (less traffic, more scenery) through Java and Sumatra? I leave by motorcycle on April 5th from Bali. Thank you.
Can't recommend roads, but I can recommend the Lake Toba area in Sumatra

and Borobodur in Java:

Old Mar 15th, 2022, 01:09 PM

We travelled down from Jakarta through Java and over to Bali by ferry mostly by train. Highlights included Mount Bromo, Mount Ijen, Yogyakarta/Borobodur, Magelan, the Dieng Plateau. All would be easy enough to string together on a bike ride but I would strongly recommend some off road experience and a decent bike and gear. Roads can be rough in parts, traffic awful and driving standards the worst I have seen outside of Africa. You are right to look for the roads less travelled, the main highways would be a nightmare on a bike. Some photos and detail of our time Java and Sulawesi on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/indonesia/