Best Resort in Phuket or Krabi...

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Resort in Phuket or Krabi...

We're planning our honeymoon in March for Thailand for 2 weeks (see our post "Plan Our Luxury Honeymoon" post. We've determined that we're going to do a few days in Bangkok (Peninsula), Chiang Mai (Four Seasons) and Golden Triangle (Anantara)...now we're trying to decide where to do our last few days on the beach at a resort. We're between either Krabi or Phuket but were not sure where to stay or at what resort.

Originally, we really liked the Rayavadee but we've read mixed reviews on Trip Advisor and other sites (and it's very expensive). We would be willing to spend up to $600 per night and we wanted to get everyone's opinion. Thanks very much.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Some very good friends stayed at Rayavadee and loved it. Others you might want to look at are Trisara in Phuket, Aleenta in Phang Nga (north of Phuket). In Krabi, the Tubkaak is a little smaller and not 5 star, but other friends stayed there last year and are going back this year again.

You might want to consider the Four Seasons in the Golden Triangle...the Anantara, though the setting is lovely, was not very 5 star during our 5 nights there in August. We had a number of issues, none of which should have been issues at all in a hotel of any stars, never mind one that bills itself 5 star. At any rate, issues or not, it doesn't come close to the standard of the Peninsula, Four Seasons Chiang Mai or Rayavadee, and in March, high season pricing is in place, making it an especially poor value in my opinion based on our experience there. It gets rave reveiws on Trip Advisor, and I can see thinking it is wonderful if you stay one or two nights and have nothing truly 5 star standard to compare it to...but it is 5 star in potential only and has a long way to go to be truly 5 star.

The Four Seasons actually does some good packages that combine stays at the two northern resorts.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I think there is no hotel on earth that hasn't disappointed someone. So every hotel you consider will have at least one negative review. Some of this is due to the fact that every hotel has its off-times, when too many things go wrong. Some has to do with individual differences, something you love, I might not and vice versa.

Kim (who I consider to be a reliable reporter) did not have a good experience at the Anantara. However, she is the only person the board I am aware of who didn't have a good experience. Very well-traveled friends of mine to whom I recommend the Anantara described it as the best resort experience they've ever had. I loved the Anantara, and I was there just after they opened, when there were still a few opening rough spots.

So keep this in mind as well as you consider beach resorts. If you are looking for a place no one has ever compalined about, you'll still be looking when it's time to leave for your honeymoon. Read people's comments carefully, try to determine if the things they complain about are things that would bother you, does the resort have the things that are most important to you?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Kathie is spot on with her point that 'what some like ....some don't'.
I have no experience of Anantara but can say that Rayavadee was a big disappointment for us. In oh so many ways.
I reckon I may bore many on this board raving about Phi Phi but I have spent loads of dosh trying to find somewhere to match Laem Tong Bay.....I'm still looking. Zeavola has all the luxury you might be looking for on your honeymoon and the location is just fabulous. It's your honeymoon...forget the ferry, take a speedboat. Phuket airport to Zeavola....less than 2 hours.
Loads of pics and info if you want.. just e'mail or post again.
www.leightravelclub.com

There are links to Zeavola on our site.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM

You can also fly direct to Zeavola directly from Phuket via Destination Air. I've heard more negatives about Zeavola than Rayavadee, but I'm not sure that means anything.

One of the things about Rayavadee, is that, as I understand it, they include the free use of several of their boats, as well as many other amenities that other hotels charge for. If you're planning on sailing or doing some of those other things, then the room rate might be a good deal.

For me, I can't think of anyplace near the beach in Thailand I would rather be on my honeymoon than the Banyan Tree in Phuket.