Best meal in Bangkok

Sep 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Best meal in Bangkok

If you could only have one dinner in Bangkok, where would you go (and what would you order)?!

We actually have two nights in Bangkok, but we'll be arriving at around 5 pm from NY on the first night so I think it will be best to eat at the hotel restaurant (we'll be at the Peninsula so I was thinking Thiptara)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sep 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM

NO way can I choose just one!

Lan Na Thai at Face: they have many wonderful dishes. Some faves: Duck with kafir leaf, eggplant with yellow bean sauce, green curry (your choice of meat/fish).

China House for Peking Duck.

Oh, I can't go on, it's making me so hungry!
Sep 20th, 2007, 08:15 AM

our overall favorite is biscotti at 4 seasons, but that is italian, which i suspect that you may not want...my wife love the crab first course....soups, pizza, pastas...

we liked thiptara quite a bit but some do not....one of their tasting menus for 2 is quite fun and gives you a nice selection....you will need an advance res. probably...

we also like the chinese rest. in the basement level....their dim sum is very unusual, but limited....

for lunch lord jim's at oriental is fantastic....buffet

we love harmonique, but it is not fancy in any way....just plain good thai food.....right off of new road near to the big post office---near oriental also...chicken cashew, fried morning glories, combo appetiser plate, lemon chicken...have never had anything we did not like....mango and sticky rice for dessert...

we had a terrible experience at china house this last time and would never return!!

face is excellent as kathie suggests....soi 38, sukhumvit....res....
Sep 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM

You probably won't be that hungry when you arrive - there are 3 meals on that flight, including one just before you land. Thiptara is fine if you need to eat.

We also enjoyed Biscotti - the crab that RHK was referring to is actually a crab salad and is fantastic.

Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel is an amazing Indian restaurant - one of the best of any cuisine in Bangkok.

Reviews of China House have not been good since its renovation - too bad really - the Peking Duck was excellent.

Another vote for Harmonique but only if you want to do something informal - also, parts of this restaurant have no a/c, just very good fans.
Sep 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM

As with most things there is no "best". I had the worst meal in 18 trips to Bangkok at the thai restaurant at Face and the best meals have always been at China House. I tend to eat asian food in Bangkok as I get great Italian food in Chicago.
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I was at China House right the day it reopened after the renovation. I hate the renovation, but thought their duck was still excellent.

You'll notice that for every place, someone will hhave had a fabulous experience and someone else a bad experience. No doubt, part of that has to do with the individual differences among the reviewer, and some of that has to do with restaurnats (and hotels) in SE Asia struggling with consistency.
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

i agree with what kathie has said....some good, some not good...some days good and the next day horid....
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM

For me it would be chu chee lobster, pad Thai with fish, and sticky rice and mango at Basil Restaurant in the Sheraton Grand Hotel right at the Asoke skytrain stop. Happy Travels!
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow- thanks for all of the suggestions. I was thinking China House but had hesitations about eating at a hotel restaurant for our only two dinners in Bangkok... Not to mention the recent less than satisfactory reviews of it.

Any opinions on Bed Supper Club (I think that is what it is called)?
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Forgot all about Bed - great, nicely presented food and totally fun atmosphere - would be a fine choice - reservations mandatory.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Bed Supper Club is fun with good food. But while it is unique I don't think anyone would say it has the best food.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I was not charmed by Bed. I thought the concept was gimmicky (as well as old) and the food was good but not special. I'm also one of the people who really wants Asian food in Asia.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM

I agree that two hotel meals are not the best choice, though would certainly be easy if you are staying at the Pen. However, count me among those who have not had the best experience at China House. I think it's highly over rated.

I liked Chotre Chitr and Baan Kranithita for authentic Thai food. You can see photos and pix of both on my website;http://www.wired2theworld.com/THAILAND2006.htm
Chotre Chitr is on Day 2 and Baan Kranithita is on Bangkok, day 4. We also stayed at the Pen and went to China House on that same trip (day 3).
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Our experience with bed supper club was mixed, i liked it much more than my wife did. Maybe that is because we went on model night and it was full of super hott women from eastern europe!!!!!! The food was just ok.
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Kristina, I simply couldn't write about Chote Chitr because it would make me too hungry. We loved their food, but if you are looking for atmosphere, that's probably not the place to go! (We can't wait to go back in November!)
Sep 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Street Food! I just got back from 2 weeks in bangkok (first time in SE Asia). The first week I ate only in resturants and the I tried eating in the outdoor street food markets. I had the greatest time trying all sorts of things. Can't wait to go back next summer.
Sep 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM

bed might be fun....we found the food quite good and beautifully presented...

wear slacks there....men and women...

i personally find it unique....i guess there are others similar around but i had never heard of them....it is continental food basically...not thai...
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Why in the world would anyone go to Thailand and eat CHINESE food. 'Tis a mystery to me!
Oct 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM

There are plenty of ethnic Chinese who live in Thailand. Some restaurants that many consider to be Thai have a marked Chinese influence, such as Harmonique.
Oct 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM

i would add that the chinese have a marked influence on most every culture in asia...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO