Best massage in Bangkok

Search

Best massage in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best massage in Bangkok

We'd really like to have a good massage while in Bangkok. Any suggestions please?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:34 AM

lots of people like wat pho...have it there or have them come to your hotel..
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Is that the school? Do you need to book or can we just turn up?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Yes, that's the school. You do not need to book ahead. You can also get them to come to your hotel for more privacy. The school is not very big, but all massage beds/tables are in one area, and somewhat open.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

one thing some have mentioned about wat pho is that if you have them come to you, it will be air conditioned and you can take a shower immediately afterwards, which to me makes tons of sense...
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:56 AM

We get massages by the boatload in Thailand. If you call the Wat Pho School of Massage, they will send someone(s) to your hotel room. They are very prompt and very good. You can get the phone number by going to their website (try google) and E-mailing them. They will send you the phone number. If you call in the morning, you can arrange for a massage in the afternoon. We prefer our hotel because we can control the temperature, take a shower and completely relax afterwards.

There are lots of Spas, both in hotels and separate. The Hotel, Oriental and Royal Orchid Sheraton for instance are very good and have many varied treatments, but they cost 3 or 4 times as much. The separate spas can be good, but some are mediocre. Generally, the storefront massage places that abound are mediocre. The masseurs often seem distracted.

My suggestion is that if you are only getting one massage, spring for one at an upscale hotel. However, if you're likely to be a repeat offender, first get one from Wat Pho and then a hotel and make a cost/benefit analysis.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM

What is the cost for a 1 hour-1 1/4 hr. message if Wat Pho comes to the Penn vs. getting an equally good quality one at the hotel like the Penn?
Thanks.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:05 AM

patsey,

Just returned from Bangkok ( in the middle of my trip report right now), but we had Wat Pho therapists come to our room at the Peninsula ( twice) You can't beat for $12 for 1 1/2 hrs. Now know this is Thai massage, not oil based, long stroke kind of massage. You keep your clothes on.

We saw the Wat Pho school and I would recommend you skip the school atmosphere and have them come to the room instead.

I also took two spa appointments at hotels; Banyan Tree for an intensive foot program and the Oriental for a Essential Oil Massage. Both were fantastic, albeit more money, but worth it. I'll be writing more about my experiences when i get to the Bangkok portion of my trip.

Good luck!!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM

StanKase-The Wat Pho massage is either 700 Baht for 1 1/2 hours (over the phone arrangements) or 800 Baht for 2 hours (arranged at Wat Pho). I don't know what the Peninsula charges, but the Mandara Spa at the Royal Orchid Sheraton sharged 2100 Baht for 1 3/4 hours. I suspect the Pen is somewhat similar. Again, if you're only getting one, my advice is to spring for the upscale one.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM

My sense is that you can get a great massage from Wat Pho for very little. The massage you get from the Penn or Oriental or Royal Orchid or any other upscale spa will probably not be any better. What WILL be better is the ambiance of the spa itself so if that matters to you go for it. If you just want a great thai massage in your room go for Wat Pho. But remember -- it is NOT a swedish massage or any "typical" massage with oil. If you want a spa experience with gorgeous atmosphere and amenities and lots of different massage choices go for one of the upscale places.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the best massage in Bangkok. I will be at the Banyan Tree in Sept. Is there a great day spa around there?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Stan, it really depends on what kind of massage you want. Traditional Thai massage is rather "athletic" you'll be walked on and pulled on. etc. You wear a soft cotton outfit while this is done to you. If you have back problems or other chronic musculo-skeletal problems, Thai massage is not for you. In the spas, you can get Thai massage or aromotherapy massage or... etc.etc.

I have a bad disk in my back as the result of a car accident years ago, so Thai massage is not for me. However, the spas in Thailand are absolutely fabulous, and I frequently get other kinds of massage there (as well as facials, body wraps. etc.)
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I have a logistical question regarding in-room massages. Where do they do them? On the bed? On the floor? I am asking because Mr. and I both love thai massage, and would both want to get them. Would we be able to get thai massages in our room at the same time?
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:48 AM

In room massage is on the bed. We've had them on either side of a King Bed. There was no interference from one massage on the other. Yes, both massages are at the same time. It makes for a nice relaxing time.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll have a Thai massage in our room, I guess we book for 2 masseurs? I would also like a massage that improves circulation and cellulite - is there such a thing? Plus a facial, as you can tell I am partial to a bit of pampering. We are staying at the Sofitel for the first 2 nights and then the Shangri la for the last 3 nights which I believe has a very good spa. Has anyone tried that one?
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:22 AM

The oriental spa has great thai masseurs...and great facials and other pampering treats. But of course, it IS pricey. Still, if you want to splurge, check it out
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM

patsey,

In the Luxe Guides the spa at Shangrila is highly recommended; it's called Chi. Let me know if you end up using it; After I booked the Banyan Tree and Oriental I was all filled up for spa time, but next time I'd like to check out Chi. Also another spa that gets rave reviews is the one in the Metropolitan hotel called Como Shambhala. Heard it's fantastic.

Have fun doing the spa thing!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM

Reviving an old theme here with a question regarding Spas that are not only offering Thai Massage, and not at the main hotels, but do offer full body oil massages, facials, etc., nice surroundings but not at the Oriental prices. Any suggestions for BKK?
Sue
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM

Sue, my current favorite is the spa at Face. We went there twice last trip for body scrubs, facials and scented oil massages. (I can't tolerate Thai massage) Check it out at www.facebars.com

I think the prices are quite reasonable.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:54 PM

KC255: Try the Ruen Nuad on Convent Rd. 10 min. walk from Banyan Tree. Excellent massage and great prices. I've been going for a couple years. 1.5 hour massage costs about US$15. (This place also got recent mentions in Wallpaper magazine and CNN online.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -