Bejing with child in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling with an 8 year old for ten days in December. I saw on this site something about a cooking course in someone's house but I can't find it anymore. Could someone send me information? Any recommendations for a tour guide to the Great Wall? Any opinions on which Opera to buy tickets to? Thank you.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM

I was the one whose kids went with us to the cooking class. The website is www.hutongcuisine.com. On the site you will see that there are different menus available, depending upon which day of the week you go. I think she only offers the 10:30 to 2:30 class at this time of the year.

Actually, if you click on my name, you will see the entire post.

Have fun. Any other questions, let me know.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your information. How did you get to the Great Wall? How did you get to your hotel from the airport? Thank you so much.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM

There are a number of choices in transport to the Great Wall, but first you must decide which section of the wall you wish to see. We went to Mutianyu, which is about 1-1.5 hours from the center of Beijing.

I hired a driver/guide with his own car prior to leaving for China. While not necessary, you can simply negotiate a taxi for the day, we were very happy with the guide we had this year. I was in Beijing last year and had a different driver/guide I personally would not recommend.

I would hire a taxi from the airport. It is very inexpensive - this past trip it was 85RMB, about $13 US. Make sure to stand in the official taxi line outside the terminal. Do not accept rides from people soliciting inside the terminal.

Always, always have your destination address written out in Chinese characters.

We did not go to any of the acrobatic or opera shows, sorry.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Do you remember the name of the guide that you were happy with this year and have his details? I appreciate your help so much.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM

I used Alvin Jiang as my driver and guide this year. His email is [email protected]

I don't believe I have seen his name mentioned on this board, however his services have been reviewed several times on Tripadvisor. You just need to do a search for him on the China forum over there, and you can see if you like what you read!