Search

Bejing and Shanghai with my father

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bejing and Shanghai with my father

Hello everyone,

I am planning to take my father to China for his 75th birthday, as this is one of the places he would like to visit before he leaves this earth. I am considering booking a 4 or 5 star hotel for us in Bejing and in Shanghai and going on day tours based on our interests: Great wall, Forbidden city, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions about hotels or local tour companies (Gray Lines or the equivalent)? I am also weighing this a la carte option against going on a guided tour. Any insights or suggestions are welcome.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Both Shanghai and Beijing have numerous 4/5 star hotels, including many international chains, such as Peninsula, Marriott, Westin, etc. We really liked the Peninsula in Beijing and the JW Marriott in Shanghai. For many activities (eg Forbidden City, Summer Palace)you don't really need a tour, you can easily go on your own with a cab. The Great Wall requires a tour or a private driver. We had a driver and had a wonderful day visiting the Great Wall at Mutianyu, the Ming Tombs and the Sacred Way. Mutianyu has easy access to the top of the Wall (cable car), which may make it easier for your father. There's a lot of info about travel to China on the forum, use the search function to look for it. Have a great trip and come back to the forum with any specific questions you may have.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Marija,
Thanks for your reply! I have enjoyed reading your travel log of your trip to China and am making some notes ! How did you find Jerry, the driver/ tourguide you had in China?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:34 PM

there is a chinese chain of hotels called "Jianguo" that are quite ok

see this webpage for one of their two beijing locations

http://hotel.travelchinaguide.com/be...2018330118.htm

I'm sure they have 2 in shanghai too
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:42 AM

I found Jerry from ads he ran in the on-line newspaper for English speaking foreigners living in Beijing. I highly recommend him.