Reload this Page >

Beijing-shopping for semi precious

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Joan

Will be travelling to Beijing this Spring. Does anyone know of a good source to purchase semi-precious beads, either hand strung or unstrung. <BR> <BR>Thank You

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Cara

I don't know about buying semi-precious stones in Beijing, but there is a great pearl mart in the building across from the Temple of Heaven. Great prices for very nice quality and unique pieces.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Emily

I think that the previous poster may be referring to the "Red Bridge Market"; that would certainly be my recommendation. The top floor of the building is full of little stalls that sell some very good pearls (I got mine there) and semi-precious stones, as well. I can't remember the Chinese name of the place, "Hong Something" but it's been discussed a lot in this forum so you might do a search under "Shopping" or "Pearls".

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 09:00 AM
cb

Your post reminds me of someone who wrote a week or so ago to the Frommer's website about buying jade from a Friendship store in China (Beijing I think). Upon returning to the US, she/he had a jeweler check it out. Turns out it's not jade/jadeite, but a cheap stone and was artifically colored. The person was furious; let the buyer beware.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Marie

Just went last week - it's the Hongqiao Market. Go to Booth 115 - she is great - will take you up to the next floor to a private showroom - pearls are strung while you wait. Very reasonable.