Beijing Food Suggestions

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beijing Food Suggestions

We are traveling in less than a month and I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. Needless to say I have discovered I am going to need American-style, bland type food when I am over there... Any suggestions on "good quality" places to go?
Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:33 PM

I can't say that we ate at any Western-style places in Beijing, but there are several American fast food outlets. There's even a KFC on Tianamen Square, believe it or not! Depending on your hotel, there will probably be a Western-style resturant. We saw buffet breakfasts and lunches like that in all the international-type hotels. When all else fails, there's always rice and noodles!

Congratulations on your good news!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Yes, depending on where you're staying, there's a few non-Chinese places to eat. There's a few McDonalds around, as well as KFC. There's even Pizza Hut, which by the way is more like a sit-down restaurant over there. If you're near the New Otani Hotel, there's a McDonalds right outside. And yes, most of the big hotels also offer non-Chinese food.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM

In general, Mandarin food is fairly bland. It lacks the fire and spice of foods from other parts of China. But if your tummy is anything like mine was, you can be sure that you will find plenty of plain steamed rice to keep you full! I'm not sure how appropriate American fast food would be...
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:23 AM

Note that mistybaby did ask about good-quality places, so there's not much point talking about KFC and McDonalds.

I have a fairly strong stomach, but even thinking about the fare at those places makes me feel a bit queasy - unlike Beijing food.

I did find that if you want rice to accompany your meal from the outset you have to ask for it - otherwise it will turn up at the end, if it comes at all. From memory the Mandarin word is mifan, pronounced mee-FAHN.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Good quality place and meal? I have the place! After 2 weeks in China trying all sorts of different things we really craved just a good old fashioned steak. Go to the Peace Hotel Grille. Facing the Bund, it would be on the right side. Outside on the wall they have a sign indicating a tourist menu or economic menu. Ask for that, because it was not offered. For lunch before 3 p.m. I guess we had a great soup, then salad then fabulous cut of meat and potatoes plus tea all for 48 RMB per person. If you order for 2 it's 88 RMB total! That was enough for the whole day and gave us energy to continue shopping at Najing Rd. Even dinner isn't much more than that! Grab a table by the window and watch the people walk by. They have a basketball autographed by Yao Ming in the window and it was great watching the men and boys get excited over it. I'm live in Houston, what can i say. Excellent, excellent meal. Actually, we ate there twice because it was that good. Unfortunately the 2nd time the soup and salad weren't as great as the first day but they quickly changed the soup to another and it all worked out.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM

so sorry Mistybaby, I had the wrong city. I was thinking about Shanghai Peace Hotel!! Dahh

The best place I ate at in Beijing was one of their Mongolian Hot pot restaurants, but I didn't eat the spicey food! That was very fresh and great tasting. I posted something earlier today on that. It was located towards the east gate of Forbidden Palace. Apparently there's a section of town near the Night Market where there are supposed to many of these places. If you are interested, I'll try to get you a better description of location. Very clean and popular.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM

http://www.tickets-beijing2008.com/b...ng-dining.html