Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

hotel Paradise Island in Bentota, Sri Lanka toxic hepatitis.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to share what I lived further to an Ayurveda cure at the hotel Paradise Island in Bentota, Sri Lanka, in order to prevent everybody accepting certain ayurvedic drugs causing toxic hepatitis.
At the time of departure, the ayurvedic doctor declared that my three dosha were perfectly balanced, that my blood pressure was also perfect and that health was very good. He recommended to continue taking some pills containing a plant called Ekaveriya which he gave me throughout the cure to reduce my blood pressure. He sold to me a sufficient quantity for approximately two months for a very moderate amount (approximately 12 USD). He told me again that this drug did not have any side-effect.
Two weeks after my ayurvedic cure in Paradise Island, I had the first symptoms of what proved to be a “non viral hepatitis”. (Known also as toxic hepatitis, not to confuse with hepatitis’s followed by a letter which comes from a virus and which is contagious). I had never had any problem of liver before. The abdominal giddiness’s, nauseas and pains were rather violent and started to decrease only three weeks later. Although in strong regression, they did not completely disappear today, three months later.
Since the beginning I considered that the fact that this hepatitis occurs just after the cure of Ayur Veda at the hotel Paradise Island in Bentota was a curious coincidence. I lately made a search on Internet about the drug which had been given to me (I did not take any other medicine)
The ayurvedic doctor had given to me the name of the active substance “Ekaveriya” what enabled me to make Internet search. The botanical name is “Rauwolfia serpentina”. This substance may be used to prevent hypertension.
It appears that the molecule responsible for my problems is the reserpine. This molecule present in the roots of Rauwolfia serpentina is used for its properties anti-hypertension and against cholesterol. The reserpine increases the transport of cholesterol in the liver, therefore drops its concentration in blood.
However this substance cause damage at liver. Cholesterol is not eliminated any more by the liver, this may involves a hepatic syndrome.
By continuing my Internet searches I also understood that the active substance contained in the drug had been studied in order to develop a drug to prevent hypertension, but the project was dropped because of the damage caused with the liver which can lead to hepatitis.
I advise any participant in a cure of ayurveda to be careful and not accept easily the drugs given to him
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM

thanks for this info... did you not consult with doctors in your homeland before embarking on such treatments? if not, why not?

sri lanka just seems like a very odd place to go for and to receive drug treatments?????
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:48 PM

I am a medico and the drug you were given ,reserpine was used to treat high blood pr in 11960 or so. You should not have used it without checking its side effects. . It also can lead to a more dangerous side effect termed retro peritoneal fibrosis. Best not to u these herbal medications as they often contain other drugs , and they often add cortisone powder to most preparations.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we were offered various ayurvedic experiences in Sri lanka but decided to pass. i don't dismiss it out of hand, but there was little or no independent quality control of either of the medicines or of the practitioners so far as i could tell.

locals have the advantage of being able to rely upon their knowledge of the subject and its practitioners; visitors do not have that luxury.

i hope you get well soon, Mira.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers.
Out of the context, I understand that people may think that it was foolish to accept these drugs.
As a matter of fact, I took some info before applying for a two weeks ayur veda cure in Sri Lanka. I read inter alia that ayur veda doctors in India and Sri Lanka have to make, by law, the same university study that regular physician. Then they make a specialization in ayurveda. Moreover the ayurveda doctor of hotel Paradise Island in Bentota inspired trust.
It was anyway a mistake to trust him. I do not want to generalize to all, but it is a fact that the ayurveda doctor working for hotel Paradise Island in Bentota was highly inefficient and even dangerous.

@ rhkkmk I did not consult with doctors in my homeland before embarking as I was in excellent health. I just wanted to relax and to have preventive action to remain in good health (funny enough)

@ ulinda7 your mail is very interesting. I take note of the other possible side effect (retro peritoneal fibrosis), I keep it for my records. I could not check the side effect as the pills are given without indicate the composition. (As usual, we usually trust the doctor…) These dangerous pills are produced by sri Budhasa, owner from Paradise Island Resort and Walauwa – Resort both in Bentota
@ annhig I am now better, Thank you. But until last week, three month after this cure at Paradise Island Resort, I was still getting several disturbance.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM

I read inter alia that ayur veda doctors in India and Sri Lanka have to make, by law, the same university study that regular physician. Then they make a specialization in ayurveda.>>

I don't doubt that for a minute, mirak. but the trouble is that no-one is doing any independent quality control of the medicines. If you are Sri Lankan, you have a much better chance of knowing who can be trusted because you know their family, where they trained and their reputation. We tourists don't have this inside knowledge.

i'm pleased that you're on the mend at last.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

After talking with several people, the ayurveda doctor of hotel Paradise Island made a double mistake.
1st : the medicament is well known as a possible cause of hepatitis
2nd : the decrease the tension was too quick and strong, and this contributed to make unbalance in my body. (It is much better to devrease the tension slowly with softer medicament)
Therefore you are right annhig, the ayurveda industry became too important, they want to earn money very quickly and they take certainly cheap "doctor" who are absolutely incompetent.
If somebody want to take a cure anyway, apart of hotel Paradise Island the owner has another hotel :Ayurveda Walauwa Resort (both owned by a company whose name is Sri Budhasa. Avoid at least the two hotel.
best regards
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Therefore you are right annhig, the ayurveda industry became too important, they want to earn money very quickly and they take certainly cheap "doctor" who are absolutely incompetent.>>

mirak - that's not exactly what I said, but I'm glad that you now have an explanation for your problems.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

sorry Annhig for the confusion. I should have written :
you are right annhig about the fact that there is little or no independent quality control of either of the medicines or of the practitioners so far.
and I would add as my proper consideration that the ayurveda industry became too important, they want to earn money very quickly and they take certainly cheap "doctor" who are absolutely incompetent.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM

well, the important thing, mirak, is that you are feeling better, which I hope very much that you are.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi everybody
I just want to draw attention on the fact that The owner of this hotel was also the owner of Sri Budhasa Ayurveda Resort also in Bentota but about five miles away, separated from the see by a big road and a railway, (Paradise Island was a few yard from the beach and the sea)

It is interesting to note that on a well known site allowing people to write about their hotel experience Paradise Island disappears shortly after the opinion I wrote for this site was cancelled,and the two hotels (Sri Budhasa Ayurveda Resort and paradise island) are mixed together, with picture from the one close to the sea, mixed with the other.
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM

thank you for sharing this experience. It is very usefull. It has been a starting point for searching on the net and realising that we must be very carefull choosing real professional on ayurveda.