Help! very last-minute opportunity to visit Goa if we can make a plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are Americans based in Beijing who have a last-minute opportunity to visit Mumbai in late January for a conference. We could add on about 6 days to see someplace for R&R not too far from Mumbai. We have traveled in Asia quite a bit, but only visited Delhi and environs so far in India.

Thinking Goa. Zero time to research and plan, but hate to pass up this chance. We are an older couple (60s/70s) looking for a relaxing place for reading, strolling through some sites, being by the sea, feeling the sun after Beijing weather. A bit of a splurge would be ok but value-proposition lodgings are welcome.

Anyone got an idea for a place to plop down in Goa in late January for this kind of R&R with modest sightseeing opportunities?

Thanks so much for any expertise.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 10:22 PM

Hi Maryalice, Goa in late January is great to catch some sun. Could you elaborate on your budget a bit? I stayed at the ITC Grand back when it was called Park Hyatt, and I thoroughly recommend it. It's beach is amazing and the atmosphere of the place is quite relaxing. Goes for about $250 a day.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 11:03 PM

WE stayed at the Goa Marriott Resort for my former exchange student's wedding. It was right on the beach and a fairly short walk into the heart of Panjim. We were there in June, so very few tourists in the pre-monsoon steaminess, but we really enjoyed our visit. We only had a half day to start exploring this charming Portuguese town, but I'd love to go back again.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 02:03 AM

lcuy: I was interested in the Marriott too but did not know it was on the beach! It definitely has some great deals from time to time. The beach in question was sandy or rocky?
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Galactus and Lcuy.

The price range that you referenced for the Park Hyatt sounds about right, Galactus.

Something like the

Lcuy, I too am interested in your answer about how the Marriott hotel beach is. Proximity to both the town and a nice beach woukd be very attractive. Any more thoughts about what you liked about the Marriott (aside from the personal connection to a special wedding)?
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Problems posting from our temporary home country even with a VPN. Sorry for the trailing thought.

That was supposed to read that the Leela hotel in Goa sounded heavenly, but at over $700 USD per night is significantly out of our price range.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

...and does anyone have experience with the Taj properties in Goa?
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 12:56 AM

Maryalice: The Taj Aguada is considered pretty good but the beach near the property is rocky. I'd still suggest the ITC Grand (formerly Park Hyatt) since its in your price range. ITC is probably the best run hotel chain in India right now, at par and sometimes even surpassing the Taj properties.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 10:09 PM

There are several very good properties in Goa. The Leela Goa; Taj Exotica at Colva; Coco Shambala (North Goa) & perhaps Elsewhere Goa.
The last has a limited number of luxury villas and luxury tents facing a creek. However it is some distance from the sea.
Happy Goanese sojourn!
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this help. We liked both the ITC property and the Marriott. Both had availability and we were deciding between them when, much to our surprise, the conference was postponed. We hope to be able to use your recommendations in a few months.

Meanwhile, since I have to make a visa run out of China, we are going to take a holiday in Bangkok
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 06:41 PM

Sri lanka

It is probably too late and not what you are looking for but personally i enjoy the south of Sri Lanka over Goa. Goa has become extremely touristy, dirty, and expensive. While the south of Sri lanka has more secluded and beautiful beaches and it is much cheaper to stay. i suggest staying somewhere outside of Galle.