Bangkok: Oriental or Penisula, Best?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Jim

Bangkok: Oriental or Penisula, Best?

Which hotel is the best.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Tangata

They are both nice, but very different. The Peninsula is very new and nicely done whilst the Oriental has all the charm one would expect of a hotel that goes back over 100 years. In terms of social acceptance the Oriental is way out in front. <BR> <BR>Many would consider that the Pen is on the wrong side of the river, although they do provide a ferry service. <BR> <BR>I have heard of some excellent deals at the Pen, there are few deals available at the Oriental, they don't need them.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 08:30 PM
Scotters

The Pen is like a new kid in town striving to be the best. From all reports it is actually running the Oriental a clos second. While it may not have the charm of the old hotel it sure beats its price. Up until the end of this year you can get a room for just over 100US including all taxes,a great american breakfast and oneway trip from the airport. Compare that to the Oriental cost of around 300US.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 12:42 PM
Claudia

If price isn't your object, the Oriental is the way to go. Last year we checked in late in the afternoon and by early that evening even the elevator boy knew us by name. That's customer service! The food at the restaurants is spectacular, the ambiance is superb, and the spa is to die for!

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 06:57 AM
MrP

PENISULA ? What a typo !

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:21 PM
SH

Returned today from Thailand. The Peninsula is on the write side of town! The best.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Dave

REcently stayed at The Peninsula in Bangkok. WOW!!! What a delightful experience. You talk about a modern hotel -- this is it. Wrong side of the river?? No way. The views of Bangkok from the Pen are terrific. Need a ride to the "other side"? No problem -- take the private Pen ferry. And it is a bargain -- US120 for a three room suite. Yes, 3 rooms. With American breakfast included.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Eric

The Peninsula is the best hotel I've ever stayed in -- the bathroom alone was phenomonal, walk in shower, built-in TV for the tub -- and not to mention the views. Pretty amazing place. I don't know anything about the Oriental.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Amy

Absolutely the Peninsula! The rooms are generally much nicer and the price can't be beat. I'd stay at the Peninsula, then plan to go to the Oriental for afternoon tea or the great evening barbeque by the river.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 06:04 PM
Laura

I'd vote for the Oriental anyday. It ranks right up there with the Regent in Hong Kong. I know the Peninsula is great, but the pampering you get at the Oriental is unbeatable. Porters are assigned to each wing of the floor, so when you hit the service button, the porter arrives within a minute or so (no kidding). And the bathrooms at the Oriental are out of this world, as well. <BR> <BR>I was in BKK for a few days before my trip to Bhutan. I walked up to the counter in my low-budget clothes, asked if there were any specials running, and talked them down to about $150/night so I had something to look forward to after Bhutan. The airport hotel is more expensive than that.... <BR> <BR>I'd vote for the Oriental. It wins hands-down for ambiance, that old world charm, and pampering. <BR>lc.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 11:12 PM
Anna

Sure the Oriental is more traditional, but many of the rooms are small, it feels very crowded, and although it may be on the 'right side' of the river, it looks onto the 'wrong side'. <BR> <BR>Price was not an issue for me, because I was offered a corporate rate at the Oriental that was the same as the promotional rate at the Peninsula. I would still choose the Peninsula every time. Althouh the spa and the restaurants at the Oriental are definitely better than those at the Peninsula (but you can use those regardless of where you stay).

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:49 PM
meg

We stayed at the Peninsula and went over to the Oriental to catch a river cruise to the ancient capital. Upon entering we were totally unimpressed with the lobby of the Oriental--kind of like being in your rich grandmother's has-been house--a place in desperate need of an update. The pool area was crummy: older lounge chairs beginning to yellow--you get the picture. The Peninsula was just the opposite: gorgeous and fresh with great views and friendly service. I think it's no contest.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:14 AM
lynn

Greetings - <BR> <BR>Judging a hotel by its lobby in Bangkok is a big mistake. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:19 PM
safari joe

Lynn, I totally agree with you! If I wanted a hotel with a Las Vegas-type lobby and ambience, then it would be best that I stay in Las Vegas. The Oriental is an experience...nothing less and nothing more. Their service is impeccable!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:38 AM
J

I stayed at both the Oriental and the Peninsula, one at the beginning of my trip and the other at the end. The Oriental was a disappointment. Surprised that it was ranked #1 in the world in travel mags. Room was decent sized, but very poorly sound-proofed. We could hear our neeghbors hanging up clothes and running their bath. Construction noises woke us before 8 am and our complaints drew only apologies and nothing else. Bathroom needed updating and felt cramped width-wise (it was long, but narrow). Service, of course, was wonderful, as was the ambiance. The Peninsula, on the other hand, was incredible. Terrific service, great room and bathroom, loved taking their ferry service across the river. We had a complimentary ride to our airport in a beautiful Mercedes. First-class all the way. True, Peninsula doesn't have the same history as the Oriental, but it surpasses the Oriental in every other respect.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Pas14

Once upon a time there was a hotel of which dreams are made - The Oriental. Every desire of the guests was anticipated by the staff and fulfilled.<BR>In due course the hotel was rated number 1 in the world.<BR><BR>The hotel expanded, until 90% of its buildings were less than 30 years old. Its General Manager, having been in the job for 40 years believed he was God, the attitude of the staff was that "we are the Oriental" so the guest must always be wrong.Prices were raised to reflect its number 1 position in the world, a glass of wine at any of its restaurants costing substantially more than the retail price of the bottle. The tour groups came and took over.<BR><BR>Gradually, the rich and famous deserted the hotel, the international corporate market reminisced about going there 10 years previously and the governmental VIP market sought the suites of other hotels.<BR><BR>Decline is gradual, arrogance mounts daily and the Peninsula overshadows the Oriental both in terms of quality of the average room and its prices and service. One day the ratings will catch up.<BR><BR>Very sad.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Stefan

Stop talking about old fashioned hotels and dull Chinese style skyscrapers! If (noisy) riverside location is not essential (10 minutes walking distance from Silom business district), but real quality and design of a smaller near boutique size hotel (just over 200 rooms), THE SUKHOTHAI is an absolute MUST. It bears well its name and is the most genuinly Thai of the big hotels. Landscaped gardens, a huge pool much silk and precious woods are awaiting the discerning guest (the place feels like an Amanresorts in the city - without the exorbitant pricing). Staff are all gracious and the GM really present (not "God"). If you stay more than 2 nights you may opt for the USD 179 ++ executive package including free upgrade to a suite American breakfast and two way airport transfer. Ask for a room looking towards the large garden court. But be warned: The property has the sexiest bathrooms I ever saw and you may get somewhat confused by the many mirrors. So bring the right partner and enjoy! <BR>I stay there for many years regularly and they did not yet manage to disappoint me, although I am a difficult guy.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 02:12 AM
paul

Peninsula is on the wrong side of the river. Enough said.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 09:16 PM
peninsula supporter

just got back from bangkok today and loooooved the peninsula! rooms were luscious, gorgeous views, wonderful service, yummy food. ferry across the river is romantic and part of the relaxation process from bustling city to posh hotel enclave. will definitely stay at the pen next time in bkk.

Old May 26th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Meg

Are there certain hours the ferry runs from the Peninsula? I mean - does it stop ferrying at 10 pm or midnight? We've just booked a suite there for a few nights in July. We looked into the Oriental and Sukothai, but their rates were over $100 more for a room and we got a grand suite for less than $200 a night. We're very excited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -