Bangkok Lunch Places & Day Plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first morning in Bangkok we plan on touring the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaeo & take a massage. We figure when that is done, we will be ready for lunch -
Does anyone know a great place for lunch in that area? (Not fast american food)
After lunch we were planning on hiring a boat at Tha Chang, explore the Klongs & make our way back to Taskin bridge (where we will catch the skytrain back to our hotel.) We know to stop at Wat Arun & flower Market.
Does this plan make sense? Are we trying to accomplish too much in one day? Jet lag will not be a problem as we will spend 2 days in Hong Kong before arriving in Bangkok.
Many thanks for the help!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM

My favorite lunches are at Greyhound Cafe. I've tried the one at Central (department store) Chidlom and also at the Emporium (mall). I really like their "sandwich in a bowl" which is tuna, lettuce, croutons, mushrooms, and a Caesars style dressing. It's a great lunch! I don't know the area of the places you plan to tour right off hand, but Central Chidlom is at the Chidlom sky train station.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 05:52 PM

my first response was oh no, not on the first day, until i read that you were only coming from hk...it is a full day...i would rather see you do the palace alone in one day, if you have never been there before and maybe wat arun...and finish with a massage in between the two...

as for that area and eating...i think you definately need an a/c place after all the hot sun....
i would take a taxi to one of the main hotels and have a cool lunch or return to your hotel and have lunch there...

the palace is sort of off by itself..

jamesA will probably have a place for you however...he will see this and answer...

how about jumping on a river boat and going down to the oriental and having the buffet lunch at lord jim (2nd floor overlooking the river--a/c inside)??

you might need to sleep after it however...

you could get the klong tour from there easily if you still want to do that...it is sitting so i guess if your time is limited it would not be too bad...takes about 3 hours or so, maybe 4...stop at royal barges on long boat and you could also have him stop at wat arun easily....

that would be my plan....go to the palace, have a massage, take boat to oriental, lunch, klong tour and boats and wat arun....

early to bed after good dinner at harmonique, soi 34, new road in back of oriental
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 05:56 PM

i did not give my usual warning....if you have not been to bkk before...be prepared for the heat and humidity..its only about 100% worse than you expect...wear long pants and some sleeves for palace and long boat for modesty and sun protection...drink lots of cold water...available in palace in several places....
go slow and you will enjoy it more...

its also not a bad idea to go to the palace twice...its so overwhelming that a return trip is very rewarding...
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 11:34 PM

this is a tough question but I don't think going too the oriental would be ther convient since you would be basically going down the river too eat then hopping on bout too go back up the chao prays too see the bridge and WAT arun. then retrace you steps again.. eating around the area is your abvious choice but where. I cant help there.. all I can think of is grabbing a quick cheep bite in one of kao San roads many restaurant.. plus you'll get too see one of the worlds great backpacker havens..
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:30 AM

There is (or was last time I looked) a reasonable Thai Restaurant next to the Phra Pin Klao Bridge; it seems to cater to tourist groups.

Our favourite restaurant in that part of the world is on the river at the end of Si Ayutthaya, pass the Wat and just keep on to the end. It is very basic, but serves excellent seafood and nobody that we have taken there has ever been sick! They have a menu in English.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Hi

I think that you are planning a bit much in one day. The Grand Palace alone is huge and you can easily walk around there for hours and hours. If you plan to much then you will just get stressed up about it. Of course you should have a plan about what you want to see but don't squeeze in too much in one day.

Well, I have been to both HK and Bangkok in the last year or so and I have posted trip reports and pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway