Reload this Page >

Bangkok- Just Returned

Search

Bangkok- Just Returned

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 07:02 AM
joseph cameron

Bangkok- Just Returned

If you need info. on hotels, restaurants, etc. just e-mail me. Here are a few suggestions: stay at a hotel on the river - and avoid traffic jams (terrible!), smog, delay in getting places. If you stay away from the river, you'll regret it. Use the river and canals as often as possible. You will not regret it!!! Bkk is a terrific city - fun to tour around in, fun to shop (locate Gifted Hand and try it). The food is very similar to what we have in DC and Va. - terrific. The flight over is longer than you can imagine - and the jet lag after you retun is something awful. Regarding currency: use your ATM card - no problem. And travellers checks are exchanged at a good rate. Take dollars and exchange them - but do not get hung up over rates of exchange - you'll generally be dealing in pennies, so it's not worth the hassle to worry about what rate you get Do not hesitate to see Bkk. Amazing is all respects.

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 02:06 PM
Kay

Did you see any performing arts shows such as Khon, shadow puppets, etc.? We will be going in December and hope to catch a show away from the hotels, if possible.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 06:51 AM
joseph cameron

Kay - No, we did not see any performing arts shows. Only dance programs at restaurants. We spent our days seeing temples, markets, shopping, eating and generally covering a much of the city as possible. Also did the river trip to the former capital that was sacked by the Burmese about 1400 or so. Used the river and canals to the max. - learned all the piers, routes, etc. Spent time in Chinatown (the markets there are not to be missed). See the flower markets - but skip the huge weekend market )not worth the hassle). You can see the PatPong area if you wish (very seedy sex show area, not much of interest). And use the tuk-tuks as well for travel. Life by the river is much more pelasing that uptown. And if you're looking for a wonderful Thai restaurant, try the Celadon - terrific. When you visit the Grand Palace, definitely hire a guide inside and see it all - very interesting. Hire a long-tail boat and see the klongs. Hope you have a great time - Bkk is one terrific city. Joe

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 09:36 AM
thomas vinh

I agree with Joseph. BKK is a terrific city with plenty to do. I would suggest getting a reputable guide. It's difficult communicating with the people if you don't know Thai. Watch out for the taxi drivers. Know how much it costs to go from one location to another by talking to hotel employees then confirm the price with the drivers before you get in. Never tell them your price. Let them give you their price and talk them down to your price. Definitely get a massage while you're there. It's relaxing and cheap. There are many reputable massage parlors that aren't brothels. Allocate some time for shopping because you will see some incredible deals. I'll be making a return visit in a couple of weeks.

Old Nov 25th, 1999, 04:56 AM
selius

Got to disagree with some of the above: Go to the weekend market. It’s hot and crowded but you can find some wonderful deals, eat at some very good stalls and maybe find the antique of your dreams. It’s not nearly as ‘quaint’ or touristy as the floating market but in some <BR>ways more interesting and certainly more Thai. <BR>Also don’t even mention a price to the taxi driver. Just insist that they use the meter. My Thai friends do that, and I've learned that a driver will never negotiate below what he can get from the meter. <BR> <BR>Also using your ATM used to mean that <BR>you got charged hefty add-on fees and <BR>the exchange rate wasn't nearly as good as that you'd get exchanging cash or TC in a bank. Has this changed? <BR> <BR>Some quick Rec: <BR>If you stay on Suhkimvit, there is a Thai restaurant near an all-night supermarket(soi 5) that doubles as a cooking school. You can get some <BR>very classical dishes there, cooked as well or better than the hotels but for much lower price. In fact, try not to <BR>eat all of your meals in high end restaurants or hotels. Some of the best <BR>dishes I've had there were in a boxy little place right in the middle of sleazy old Patpong! <BR> <BR>Like early Fellini films? Go to a small <BR>night club, perferably in the countryside near BKK and listen to the <BR>the folks sing their hearts out..sad and <BR>sweet and a bit tacky but almost always <BR>moving. <BR> <BR>And definitely go to Ayuthaya(excuse my spelling). Dramatic ruins and mutilated buddhas and odd blends of architecture styles. In the right light, it's a dreamscape. (However, I never liked to stay in this city after dark.) <BR> <BR>For a travel book, try Moon books on Thailand. Very literate and wry and tough minded. Also a new English book, <BR>the name of which escapes me. I think the cover is red. <BR> <BR>But I am still exploring the city..next <BR>year I'm may regret recommending any of this!