Reload this Page >

Bangkok hotels

Search

Bangkok hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:23 PM
Carrie

Bangkok hotels

Any suggestions on hotels in Bangkok? I'm looking at the Grand China Princess, which seems to be in a godd location and has good amenities. Any comments?

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Meg

Carrie, we stayed at the Grand China Princess a few years ago and were very pleased with it. We booked it through asiatravel.com and got a rate of around $60 a night including breakfast. We had a large, comfortable corner room with a great view the city. It's only a couple blocks from the river, so water taxis were easily accessible. We made the mistake of using regular taxis or tuk-tuks more than water taxis. The problem with this is that Chinatown has bad traffic congestion - so if you are coming or going at rush hour, it can take you a while to get in and out of Chinatown. There is a great restaurant at the Ratchawong Pier straight down from the hotel. It's called Wan Fah. We ate there a couple times - appetizers, entree, drinks and dessert for US$20 for two. Excellent food. No English is spoken there, but their menu is in Thai and English and pointing works quite well. The restaurant in the hotel is very good and reasonably priced as well. We had room service one night for a grand total of US$14! Please let me know if you need anymore info. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:05 PM
tom Oldham

it obviously depends on what you want to do in bangkok---i found bangkok pretty dirty/polluted and noisy--so enjoyed staying on the river (at the marriott river gardens)--you may want to check who is running a special--I checked at the oriental when I arrived and they even were offering a pretty good rate--not $60, but surprisingly low----

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:35 PM
Scotters

The 5* Peninsula is the best deal in Bangkok right now at 105US per delux room incl all taxes and AMB. It is across the river from the Oriental and they run a free ferry service back and forth. Convenient to all the main sights,food and shopping. It is a sister of the one in Hong Kong by the same name but at 1/3 the price.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:34 AM
laurag

No hotel is nicer than the Oriental in Bangkok.