Bangkok Hotel Recommendations?

Oct 9th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Wayne Y

Bangkok Hotel Recommendations?

We're making our first trip to Bangkok in January and will be touristing there for several days. Any first class to deluxe hotel recommendations? Is it better to stay in one area than the other (Silom, Siam Square, on the River, Sukhumvit)? Anyone stay at the Peninsula? Also looking at the Dusit Thani, Le Meridien, Westin Banyan Tree. Thanks.

Oct 9th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Michael

Hello Wayne: I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan on Ratchamdari. This hotel is about a five minute walk from Siam Center and a four minute walk from the World Trade Center Shopping Mall. A ten minute walk to Lumphini Park...and a- bout an 8-10 minute walk to the Pratunam Area. To get to the river (Tha Oriental) It is about a 15 minute cab ride...but the taxis are very inexpensive...

The rooms at the Erawan were very large and well equipped. The hotel has excellent restaurants and the best buffet breakfast I've had anywhere!! There is a terrific 5th floor outdoor swimming pool area with an outdoor restaurant and enough trees and vegetation and a waterfall AND a running track to make you forget that you are on the 5th floor.

The area is very central you should like it. Staying at a major hotel near the river is excellent as well...but it takes that much longer to get there from the airport or to the airport...and it isn't central.

Silom Area is good...now you would be about halfway between the Erawan and the river.

Sukhumvit is a major street which means automobile traffic, air pollution, noise...

Enjoy your trip..!!

Oct 14th, 1999, 12:00 PM
joe cameron

Suggest you stay at a good hotel on the river. Makes travel easier - avoid traffic jams and fumes by using the boats. The river is the major travelway in Bangkok. Consult a map and several guidebooks, and see what they say.

Oct 18th, 1999, 10:46 AM
vigdis

If I were you I would stay on the river, for instance at Royal Orchid Sheraton. I have not stayed there myself, but I've been there and I've seen others recommend it. If you book it via www.planetholiday.com, you should get a superior room for around 140 dollars (I don't know if it's river view). Royal Orchid is also not far away from the Silom Area, lot of shops and you have easily access to the river from the piers close by. Sukhumvit used to be OK, but in my opinion they have ruined it building the two/three floor skyway/motorway, leaving the area in the shadow. I suppose Siam Square is OK, it's quite central, but I would go for the river area, and rather listen to the hotel people when they tell you how long it will take to get to the airport. Bangkok has so many centers that you'll have to travel around a bit wherever you stay, and the traffic pollution isn't so bad on the river.

Have a nice time!

Oct 18th, 1999, 11:23 AM
RickK

I second the Royal Orchid Sheraton. My wife and I stayed there last Feb. and found it quite nice. Bangkok was a much nicer place than I had been led to believe. If you land fairly late, getting into town will be no problem. Also, if you leave town on a Sunday morning, traffic to airport is negligible. Also, Bangkok's airport hotel is very nice and is connected to the airport. RK

Oct 25th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Michael

I also liked the Sheraton..but thought the Airport hotel a little on the expensive side..

Nov 4th, 1999, 08:56 PM
Lindsay

The Dusit Thani is my pick although the hotels on the waterfront are nice the cost of travelling to and fro can be a bit daunting as the taxis take advantage of farangs in that area. The Dusit is close to shops and 2 fine Irish bars that have a very good atmosphere 9Delaneys and O'Reillys). Go on the river tours, the are great.

Nov 6th, 1999, 06:35 PM
Veronica

I stayed at Westin Banyan Tree last year and it was excellent. Don't miss their spa on theth floor. The hotel is not very centrally located and you can avoid the traffic jam. What is missing is that the hotel do not have a swimming pool.

Nov 6th, 1999, 06:35 PM
Veronica

I stayed at Westin Banyan Tree last year and it was excellent. Don't miss their spa on the 54th floor. The hotel is not very centrally located and you can avoid the traffic jam. What is missing is that the hotel do not have a swimming pool.