Bangkok - Conrad Hotel

Aug 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Bangkok - Conrad Hotel

Has anyone stayed in this hotel - near the American Embassy?

I've found a good room rate but don't know if the location is good/not so good?

Thanks - VHS.
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
CFW

Haven't stayed there, but like most fodorites (and others) we like being near the river -- BKK Maarriott Resort & Spa is our favorite, but others swear by the Royal Orchid Sheraton and the Peninsula (more expensive than ROS or BKK Marriott). It's nice to get away from the hot & humid city after a day of sightseeing & shopping & the river hotels are close enoought with easy transporation to everything but have a less crowded, more relaxed feel.
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I don't think the skytrain is that close by. Isn't it over on Wireless Rd.? I passed it on my way to the Centre Point Wireless serviced apartment building. I was in a taxi, not on the skytrain. I have passed the hotel several times though, but always in a taxi. Happy Travels!
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM

The location is okay, but not great. It's a longish walk to the Skytrain (but there is a free shuttle). There are some decent restaurants in the area but not much else. You'll have to take the train to see any sights or do any shopping.
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM

It does have great dim sum at the Chinese restaurant.
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM

i have not stayed there but other fodorites have and may answer....i go there often to eat...

i think the location is just fine....they have a free bus that drives you to the skytrain just around the corner...

it is the newest lux hotel in bkk i believe, only about 3-5 years old...

if you have a good rate give it a try..

as gpanda says have dim sum luncheon at liu rest. on the 3rd floor....the best in the world, imo....
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Do a search on this board for reviews. Type Conrad Hotel, Bangkok into the search box. There have been reports about it.
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hi

Have you seen the reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...k-Bangkok.html ? I think it looks like a great hotel and I did think about staying there the last time I went to Bangkok. But I ended up at Lebua as I got a better deal there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:01 AM

I have stayed there twice now and really like it. I know it is not on the river but that doesn't bother us much. See my recent trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34988056 We did experience a few problems the last time we visited but it was over Songkran and I think they were short staffed.

It is the newest 5* in BKK, the rooms are great as are the restaurants. the buffet and teh Japanese restaurants are both v. good. Would i go back/ probaly not, but mainly because there are so many other places to try.

We found the most competitive deal on the conrad website - we went for the Exec floor + round trip aairport transfer - I think we paid about $240 pn ++.

It is a 10 min walk from the Skytrain which we quite enjoyed and we often used to miss breakfast at the hotel in favour of the street stalls on the corner by the skytrain. It is one stop to Siam Square and from there you can access most parts of the city. It probably took us about 30 mins to Satorn pier.

It is also close to Lumpini park and if you like Japanese food there are some great little restaurants around Patpong.

I know this is heresy on this board but I preferred it to The Peninsular!
Aug 15th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Crellston - think I can get a better deal than you got (if it's still available) so may go for 2/3 nights there when we arrive and try elsewhere (perhaps on the river) before we fly home.

I read your trip report (great) - particularly interested in Northern Thailand. We expect to be there last 3 or 4 days in Jan - is that the fire season?

Thanks - VHS.

Thanks - Vicky.
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:54 AM

VHS

I think the burning usually starts in March at the end of the dry season so you should be ok. Jan is a good time to visit the north as it is their cool season - we did the "Mai Hong Sorn loop" in January and had a great time.

You can check out the data for air quality for any time of the year at
http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regi...m?task=default
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:49 AM

We stayed at the Conrad 1 1/2 years ago, using points not money. We didn't mind it, but we didn't like it either.

The good: breakfast buffet is outstanding, room is nicely decorated, pool looks nice, staff is efficient, elephant gift on the beds at night is very nice.

The not so good: location is for us poor...we much prefer the river, many staff members we found were haughty (though not all), pool water was ice cold and therefore good for a dip but not for a swim, pool service was just plain weird (call service with a wooden frog soundmaker, they come on a unicycle...rather humiliating for staff we thought), spa was good one day and the following day I had the worst massage I've ever had, room was small.

We would not stay there again, even for free with points. We are back at the Peninsula (4th time) right now, and very happy.
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Re the Conrad - had a re-think and whilst nothing booked yet, now most likely to book somewhere in Silom and near patpong. Like my fisrst trip to BKK, think my husband will find the area in the evening very interesting. NOw looking at the Montien - feel free to recommend others. Will also go for something on th river at the end of our trip.

Crellston - re the Mae Hong Son loop - how many days did you travel in the area and what did you include - best highlights?
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM

IF you want to be near Silom, try the Banyan Tree. It's an all-suite hotel, with a fabulous spa and quite the most relaxing, peaceful air to it - just the place to relax after a hectic day out in Bangkok. The rooftop bar/restaurant is pretty amazing also. It's 5 mins from the Subway.
Aug 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GrahamC - looks great - not sure about the price tag - looking for best deal.
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM

The Conrad is a very good hotel. It's actually 2 stops to Siam Square from the closest BTS. If you chose to walk to the BTS, go out the backside of the hotel on Ruum Rudee rd. Much quieter than Wittayu and there are a few restaurants on that soi as well. There is a shopping mall attached to the hotel with some decent, but not great shopping. Starbucks, Au Bon Pain are both there as well. It is the new 5* building wise, but the Hilton Millenium is the newest 5* hotel (in an old building).
Aug 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM

If you're going to walk to the skytrain from Ruam Rudee, then you would be going to the Ploenchit skytrain station. I've stayed at the Chateau de Bangkok Serviced apartment buildings on Ruam Rudee, which is why I know the street. Happy Travels!
Aug 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM

i only consider the hilton to be 4 or maybe 4.5 stars...
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:16 AM

VHS - We spent 6 days travelling the MHS loop starting and finishing in Chiang Mai. We rented a car from Budget and used their "World Class Drives" map from their website. We drove out through Doi Suthep national park towards Mai Sariang a quiet riverside town near the Burmese border. We then drove to the Fern resort - in the hills about 5 mile outside of Mai Hong Sorn town it really is a nice resort and we spent abouit 3 days there over new years. The drive from Mai Sariang to MHS throuh the mountains is spectacular. There are lots of diversions to be made from the main road out to the minority villages. The market in MHS town is also well woth a visit. We then travelled on to Pai where the sceneray gets less mountainous and we stayed a couple of nights at the Belle Villa which has some nice lodges set around the padddies, we also visted and elephant camp nearby. Pai itself is a bit more touristy than MHS and has some good restaurants. We then drove back to Chiang Mai - the least inspiring part of the trip.

Highlights for us were the places we stayed (particularly the Fern Resort - they have guide dogs there who will take YOU for walks into the hills!), The minority villages were also a major highlight - if you go without a guide then take the Lonely Planet Thai phrasebook which has a section on the minority peoples languages (our attempts at the language were well received and invoked a great deal of laughter. Finally the scenery was amazing and I really enjoyed the drive - allegedly there are some 600 hairpin bends along the loop. I am tempted to go back and do it again sometime on a motorbike.
As far as the driving is concerned the roads are good and there is little traffic, but they do drive on the left, which is not a problem for those of us from England but could be if you are used to driving on the right.
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Crellston - great info thanks! I am also from the UK so driving on the left is perfect. All I have to do now is convince my husband to 'go it alone' so to speak.

You've obviously returned safe and well so I assume is quite safe for 2 brits travelling alone in the outbacks?
Also, what's the standard of accommodation like? I am a little more adventurous but my husband likes his home conforts more.

Thanks - VHS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO