Search

Bangkok - Chiang Mai flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok - Chiang Mai flights

Hi,

We are spending 2. 5 days in bangkok and 3.5 days in chiang mai in early december. Just a few quick questions about air/flights if anyone has experience?

1. Do i need to buy tickets in advance, and if if so, how? Should i buy them online, or through a travel agent when i get to bangkok?

2. Is there a recommended airline?

3. On our way back from Chiang Mai, we have to catch an international flight from BKK to Tokyo at 4pm - all the SAME DAY. Would my flight in from Chiang Mai to Bangkok arrive at the international airport? Or does this depend on who my airline is? just trying to figure out my timing and when my flight would need to arrive. If it's BKK i'm assuming i would need to be in by 1:15 at the latest.

anyway sorry for all the detailed questions but you guys have always given me the best advice in the past

thanks in advance!!
A
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM

This is a busy time of year - buy your tickets in advance - some may chime in on pricing and quality but shop around.

I would NOT cut it close on the timing for connecting to your international flight though. Delays are not uncommon and its a real hassle to reschedule once you've missed your flight home.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Thai Airways has a very early morning flight from Chiang mai to bangkok that gets you in at around 9:00. I would take it but not anything any later. Thai has flights that goes to both airports so make sure you book the one that goes to the international one. There are cheaper flights but this will be the most reliable. I would book it NOW!y
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM

Almost all regular and discount airlines fly this route. You need to buy in advance as it's high season and they sell out. Check airasia.com, nokair.com, thaiairways.com, bangkokair.com. All can be purchased online with a credit card and you'll get e-tickets.

Factor in at least a few hour delay in order to make your flight. Better safe than sorry.

Airport depends on the flight. Best to pick one that flies into BKK, not DMK, to avoid a transfer. Since you have so many airline options, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Perfect thanks for all your feedback. i looked at the times we want to leave and determined to take a BKK outbound flight on Air Asia and and a Chiang Mai return flight on Thai Air into BKK.

It seems that those two airlines have service out of BKK vs. the other options and both were relatively affordable. Although i did see that thai air was quickly selling out of tix at the lower prices. So good thing I'm getting on that now

Thanks again!
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Just make sure the Thai flight goes to the new airport as they have flights also to the old one. You are looking at either the 7 or 9.45 flights out of CM