Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Siem Reap trip summary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After ending my trip to Thailand and Cambodia in March 2, at last I have the time to share with all of you a summary of my experiences of a most memorable trip. Of course, this was possible with the help of many of you who share opinions, experiences and thougths of your travels to this countries. Thanks to all.

This will not be a day by day itinerary (I'm not good taking notes for day do day activites, aside from some notes) but will be in crhonological order and will include the things that sticks to my mind(the most important), and the memories that the pictures taken brings when I was preparing the Photo Album(over 400 hundred.)

Things didn't start quite well (but that usually means that I'm going to have a great trip).Happens to me in numerous previos occasions. After arrving at JFK airport from San Juan, weather reports inform about a Blizzard coming to New York the next day, precisely the day I was suppossed to fly to Narita, and then to Bankgok. JAL cancel the flight and rushed to call Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa to notify the changes. Meanwhilie we enjoy the snow and had a good night rest for the next day flight.

Bangkok: After arriving at Bangkok around midnight on the next day we took a Limousine to the Marriot Resort, but more bad news, front desk had some problems with my reservation. No room for us (there was some sort of big Convention and the hotel was full). Minutes later, three hotel employees, including the Manager, sorrounded us explaining what was the problem. This was my first hand experience with Thai hospitality (in a good way). The personell apologize so insistently for the inconvenience that we were the ones who felt bad that they don't have the room that night for us. The manager was almost on his knees while we were sitting in reception area. I almost said "I forgive you". Quickly, they inform that the Hotel Limousine was ready to take us to the Royal Orchid Sheraton for that night but will pick up in the morning after breakfest. That was done, and when we checked in and get into our room the next day, there was a complimentary bottle of wine and vouchers for dinner at one of the restaurants. By the way, we loved the Marriott: the rooms, decoration and specially the personell (thanks to Bob and others who recommend it).

The next day we started our must see's places: Wat Po and Klong tour. At Wa Po we had our first contact with the already well known "scam". A well dressed gentleman offer us some suggestions to do before getting into the temple because "it was closed". We said thank your for the information and continued to the entrance (of course it was open). Another "scam", I think, was that as we disembark in Wat Po the were two youngsters, one of them with uniform, asking for a disembarkation fee (20 bahts). First I refuse, but then thought, "is just 20 bahts" so I paid it. After the temple took a Long tail boat Klong tour. Very interesting but not so different of what you see in Hong Kong (IMO). After doing these two things came to my mind your recommendations ot taking it slowly in the Bangkok heat. It was really hot and we were already tired. The follwing days continued with the must see's: Wat Arum and Wat Phra Keo/Grand Palace (paid a guide for an hour). No picture or description prepares me for the magnificency and beauty of these temples and palace. Being an Amateur photo entusiast, I didn't know even of were to start taking photos. That was really memorable. We had to leave early from the palace beacause Jacques Chirac was visiting the King that afernoon.

Siem Reap: Fly very early in the morning to Siem Reap and met our guide Dara, brother of Ponheary. Check in at the Angkor Princess hotel, and by 10am (not the best hours to visit) we were heading to Angkor Wat for our first temple tour. The whole area that sorrounds the temple is lovely. The temple itself, Magnificent. But, as we later found, the smaller temples were more interesting. On that visit Dara cross path with her sister Ponheary, who was guiding a couple form US. That couple result to be Craig and his wife, Jeane. How did I recognize them? Two nights previous the trip I was still posting questions in Fodor's website, and Craig describe himself as ("the man with the white hair&quot in case we cross paths in Angkor. That happened, an it was the first of five times that we met in different places during our stay in Siem Reap and later in Bangkok, that we had the pleasure to meet and comment our daily activities. On the second day we had the opportunity to take and Air Balloon (do not fly, just floats) for an air Picture of Angkor (this was the second time were se cross path with Craig and Jeane, and later the same tay took an elephant to the top of one the temples to see the sunset: Beautiful! Although we enjoyed greatly the visit to the temples (specially, Ta Phrom, Bayon Temple and Banteay Srei), the visit to Tonle Slap and the morning market impressed us big as well. There were to thing that touch our hearts during the trip: taking school articles to the students (lots of then have no shoes) on the route to Tonle Slap. We met a British English teacher who gave us some insights of the life and struggles of the students. Their parents don't have enough money to even buy some notebooks and pens for their kids. The other touching experience we had while visiting the temples was when we heard some beautiful Cambodian music coming out from the woods. We ask our guide Dara about it and took us to the place were the music came from. It result that the music was played by victims of the land mines. There was of group of about ten, and each and one of them had evidence of their sufferings: one with no legs or arms, others blind, others with scars on their bodies. Dara told us that their only income were the donations that people give in appreciation for their music. That was sad, but in no way felt that the experience diminishes my enjoyment of the place, By the contrary, it help us to remember to count on our blessings and to take notice of who people lives and survives in others parts of the world. This would give a new perspective of life. In summary, our visit to Sieam Reap was amazing, englithening and totally enjoyable. Would recommend the trip to anyone.

Second part of the trip will be posted later on the week. Thanks for your patience and forgive any Grammtical error on my part (english is not my first language)
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

What a wonderful report--very moving.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:31 AM

Its good to hear from you - I've been looking for your post. Still can't believe we ran into each that last time on the sky train in Bangkok - small world as they say.

Looking forward to more...
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM

great report so far....looking forward to more...delighted that you liked the marriott....nothing not to like really....your english is excellent...we should all do so well..
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you avoided the "closed" scam in BKK. How did you like the Angkor Princess?
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kindly comments. I want to apologize for some wrong words I'm sure I edited, but apparently something went wrong. Also, I want to comment the enjoyable time we had with our guide Dara. He was a very gentle man, acommodative and very inclined to adapt to last minute decisions we made that changes his plans for the day. Highly recommended. Even the driver took us at night to restaurants and foot massages and even wait for us.

Regarding the Angkor Princess hotel, I must clarify that the correct name is Prince D'angkor hotel. Good four star hotel in center of town. Nice big rooms, but food sometimes was missing. In two instances (different days) we order some food and minutes later they said that don't have it available. The hotel staff not to professional but very friendly.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for the report. I'll be using Dara as a guide in early May. It sounds like he will be perfect. I'll be spending a few nights at the Marriott too!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

This is the long overdue second part of my trip to Thailand and Sieam Reap. Sorry for the delay...I've been very very busy since ending the trip.

Chiang Mai - Stay at Baan Orapin for three nights. Very enjoyable stay there, specially because we have a almost new room at the back building. At first sight I was worried by the appearance of the entrance, but the reasos was that they were making some repair jobs. About the owners... well, what can I say? Maybe thie experience I had will help you understand the kind of people they are. After taking a taxi to Doi Suthep for a half day trip (the plalce and temples were beautiful) my wife told that she was feeling sick. We took the taxi back to B.O. and as soon as we get there the owner ask us what happen. I told that she was not feeling to well. In that very momenthe stops the work he was doing and rushed to a nearby hospital called Mc Cormick Hospital. What happens next was a new experience for us. As soon as we get to the hospital there were about four nurses at the entranc. Opas (that's the owner name?) talk to the nurses and immediatly they took the pressure, weight and ask for symptoms. To make a long story short, the process of getting to the hospital, see the doctor and get some medicines just tooks us around 30 minutes. Total cost around 5 dollars. Can you believe that? Of course we were very grateful to Opas for his kindness of taking us to the hospital. Next day need to go to the airport for making some changes of flights and...wonders of wonders...when I asked Opas for a taxi to go to the airport, there was a lady that just leave two people at B.O. For some reason I thougt, could this be Ratt's daughter? When I asked her name, she said Poon. I could not believe that on previous days we were with her father and now we met the daugther in Chiang Mai. We chat a lot about the incident.

I highly recommend stay at Baan Orapin. You will feel like home, in a way, and the personal attention of the owners highlights the experience.

Next day was Mae Hong Son were we stayed for two nights at the Imperial Tara Mae Hong Son (very nice hotel and surroundings). We took the combination of elephant, boat and truck to see the Padong Tribe which we enjoy a lot. We thougt we were on some kind of expedition to a lost place.One of the young Padong girl spoke some spanish and as we ask us form where we were coming from, and said Puerto Rico, she asked for Ricky Martin. I said...what, have you heard about him? She told us that she have heard his songs on the radio. That put an end of thinking I was having some kind of expedition to see a lost tribe. But serioulsy, we enjoy a lot that trip.

Back to Chiang Mai and did some shopping at the Night Market. Buy some things, took massages, spa's and relax.

Flew to Bankgok and spend the last four days at Centre Point Wireless Road. We did some last minute shoppings, went to the Aquarium at the Siam Paragon (great shopping mall and food court) and visit the rest of the must see's in the city, including Jim Thompson's House. The Centre Point was excellent,almost new facilities, great location near the shopping malls and adequate breakfast. The only lowdown was the Reception personell, specially the Manager. It was difficult to bring a smile to her face (strange for Thais)when we have to enquire and ask any sort of question. On the other hand the Porters and the Room Maids were fabulous.

In summary, this was the more relaxed, enjoyable and uplifting vacations in my life. Your recommendations on taking it easy and not trying to do too much in Thailand is the best advise you could give. Also, the do it yourself trip was worthy (of course you have to do a lot of research and and ask many questions to Fodorites the help you through). We did what we planned without rush in a relaxing way and never feel that we missed anything (well maybe some restaurants that we could not get to). You don't have to take a tour to enjoy Thailand or Cambodia.

Again, thank to all for making this trip a memorable experience.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Thanks for your great report. I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Worth the wait - an excellent report!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Thank you - especially for the report on Baan Orapin. We are staying there in July and cannot wait!