Bangkok advice needed!

Search

Bangkok advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok advice needed!

DH and I and another couple are planning a Thailand trip in March/April 2008 for about 10 days (not including travel time). Our plan is to stay at Khao Lak Le Meridien for beach time, hiking at the national park, taking a cooking class, and doing a canoe trip. We are in our late 20's and very active.

Here's my question: Initially I thought it would be best just to bypass Bangkok (my friends think Bangkok is too sleazy and dirty) and go directly to Phuket on Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. (We love Hong Kong and will stay a few days on our way home)

But now having read a lot of cool stuff on this board about Bangkok... I'm confused. Would it worth flying to Bangkok from Phuket for a few days in the middle of our Khao Lak vacation? I looked on Air Asia and the flights from Phuket to Bangkok return are very reasonable.

And also since we will probably be there the week before the Thai New Year... will that make any difference on our enjoyment of Bangkok? I understand it's also the hottest time of the year. I'm currently looking at the Shangrila riverside for our accomodation.

What do you think? Add Bangkok for a few nights or not?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM

personally i think i might save bkk for the end of my trip so as not to waste time in travelling...movements from one place in thailand to another generally take up 1/2 day....

don't skip bkk....it is unique...

the sh-la is a really nice hotel..its next to the skytrain also...sign up for their FF plan so that you may receive late check out and discounted or free breakfasts...

you might also like the marriott resort and spa (less $$) or the peninsula (more $$)---this as a treat to yourselves...

yes this is the hotest time of the year, but that is all relative as it is hot as hell all year...its the humidity that kills you....you need a nice pool handy...

i'm trying KL meredien this spring too....really good deal if you have starwood points...
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:20 AM

BKK is magical. If you stay on the river, it's a respite from the frenzy. If you have Starwood points, you can stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... I'm honored by the replies of such Thailand experts.

If we have a choice, do you think it's best to do Bangkok before or after our Khao Lak vacation?

Also, thanks for helping me have perspective on this "it's too hot in April" issue. You're right... if there's a great pool nearby, we are happy!

In terms of the Thai New Year, is Bangkok busier than usual or does the city generally clear out? We don't mind if some shops and restaurants are closed.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM

i suggested afterwards becasue you will be very tired for the first 2-3 days and that is best done at the beach...
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Hi-
I was in Bangkok and Phuket in April 06 during Thai New Years.
Despite all the dire warnings; "too hot", "too crazy" with the water throwing, etc. we had a great time. It's easy to avoid being doused with water if you want. We didn't find anything closed except one restaurant we wanted to try.
Here's my travelogue if you're interested:
http://www.wired2theworld.com/THAILAND2006.htm
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM

In no way I am an expert with my one visit to BKK but if I were you I would not leave BKK out of your itinerary. It's such a great city with lots to do and lots to see. I was worried just like you that it'll be sleazy and dirty, but unless you look for sleaze you won't actually find/see it. My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed BKK and wished we spent more days exploring the city.

On another note - Kristina, I thought your travelogue is really funny, especially loved your pre-trip planning section about Thailand! Now I have some proof that I'm not the only crazy person when it comes to travelling and planning! LOL!

Happy travels!

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I love Bangkok. I vacation there twice a year and have been going there nearly a decade. I definitely would NOT take it off my list. You should go and decide for yourself.

The Shangrila is a good location and choice for you as it's your first time there. It's right next to the beginning/end of the north/south skytrain line. The station is called Saphin Taksin. I'd keep that hotel choice.

From the Shangrila,you can either go to the skytrain station/pier and go up river to the sights....Royal Palace etc...or jump on the skytrain and go to either the Siam...main station...or one station away from Siam at Chitlom to the east and National Stadium to the west...and hit the majority of the major shopping areas all lined up between the National Stadium skytrain stop to the Siam skytrain stop and then to the Chitlom skytrain stop. You can actually walk to all of them as the skytrain covered walkway now connects them all unlike in days past when it didn't. So, you'll be out of the sun.

If I were you, I'd try to give Bangkok 4 full days in your situation and just put them at the end of the trip. Since you've already done Hong Kong, why not try something different? Happy Travels!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Kacenka-Thanks! Yes, I'm OCD when it comes to travel. If you really want to see how bad it is, go read my original rant on being a Travel Tyrant here:
http://www.wired2theworld.com/spain2005intro.html
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Kooba I agree that , like so many places , you need to ultimately make your own assessment of Bangkok. I first went in about 1984 , have been about 6 times since , the most recent in June this year .Duration of the trip has been a few days and up to a week and I have stayed at mid to top level hotels .
I have tried to fall in love with the city but just cannot do so .There are certain things I really like or once liked about it and the Thai people .Their reverence and respect for the King and their spirituality are but two which are still wonderful to observe .But it is big , generally an ugly unremarkable modern streetscape ,very noisy and can be quite intimidating to navigate .There is some excellent shopping , tourist sites and food but you do need to know where to look . As you know it is nothing like Hong Kong or Singapore . I prefer HK but mainly because it is visually lovely because of the Harbour. Nonetheless I respect the views of other Fodorites who adore BK .Thus I would pose the rhetorical question to yourself " What is it in a city that I like and want to experience ?" and see if BK ticks the boxes for you .If it does then go especially as you are an admitted travel tyrant and will have done your research .
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Kristina: Loved your blog and you have inspired me! Great to hear first hand the issue of being in Bangkok during Thai New Years. So thanks!!!

Kacenka: Thanks for your reply. I am getting more and more intrigued by Bangkok. Glad to hear that others were also hesitant at first about visiting...

Guenmai: Awesome information!!! Thank you so much. I already decided that being on the skytrain line will be best for us, seeing as it's our first visit. Do you know what other hotels are nearby the Sh-la?

JohnFitz: Hmm... you're right. Thanks for your insights! The thing we loved about Hong Kong was the beautiful harbour of course, but also the grittiness of it too.

We also recently visited Beijing and although we met some people who hated it there, because of the pollution and the scams... I honestly liked it. I loved the "rawness" of it.

I will do some more research and reading. So thank you!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:36 PM

I loved BKK. I was there last summer for about a week or so. So many people asked me if I saw all sorts of crazy, sleezy sex things... and I said, no, nor did I ever go into places/areas known for that... just as I don't in the US. I think the sleezy quotient will be higher in Phuket than Bangkok, to be honest.

BKK is a very large city. That being said, I have never felt more safe in any big city in all of the world. the metro system was easy and clean (and A/C'd). I really enjoyed my days there.

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Kooba...regarding other river hotels, there is also the Oriental and the Royal Orchid Sheraton which are right up river from the Shangrila and on the same side of the river. Then there's the Peninsula on the opposite side of the river almost across from the Shangrila... just a bit up river.I think a river Hilton has opened up,too. But, I think it's on the Pen side of the river which is what we jokingly call the "wrong" side of the river as one has to cross the river to get to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station. River hotels have their own private boats though that shuttle guests to the skytrain station.

There's also the Marriott Resort down river from the Shangrila if you want to keep a river location.

There are tons of non-river places. Folks in this forum are mostly river folks. I'm not. I'm a in-the-heart-of-the- city type although I've stayed at the Oriental, Pen, and Royal Orchid Sheraton among many other hotels in BKK. My first visits were in hotels in the heart of the city and I had no problem with it and that was before the skytrain was built.

Years, later, I thought I'd give the river hotels a try totally out of curiosity before I moved into my serviced apartment building. My all time favorite hotel is still the Four Seasons in the heart of town and across from the Phrom Phong skytrain station...one stop from Siam skytrain station...an absolutely down-to-earth and beautiful hotel with a great staff. Had I not found a great serviced apartment building, I'd still be there.

As far as sleeziness goes,it's a big city and of course there's sleeziness in any city. A Thai friend and I have walked through so-called sleeziness at night when we've needed to be somewhere. We're two females and we haven't had any problems. She's from Bangkok and takes an hour and a half of public transportation to get from my apartment back home when she drops by to visit me. She always leaves at night and has been fine. One just needs to treat Bangkok like any big city, but not be paranoid...just cautious. I've been fine. So go for it! Happy Travels!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Kooba , as you love 'rawness ' BK will suit. If you want to see what are billed as groovy / up to the minute places and shops etc get a hold of The Luxe Guide to BK . Like Guenmai I think the Four Seasons is an exceptional hotel and was also when it was The Regent .But I know there is a lot of debate about River versus inland .For shopping Four Seasons locale wins hands down .Siam Paragon is an extraordinairy mall .Also look at The Metropolitan Hotel Bangkok as it is said to be really good as well and in the part of the city that is quite vibrant .A hotel on the skytrain or rail lines is important as it will enable you to move around more easily as in the afternoons traffic gridlocks and taxis do not want to pick up and drive anywhere where they will ,at a low metered rate , be stuck in traffic .
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm amazed by the generosity of everyone who replied to my question. Right now, I am 99% sure that we will add Bangkok (thanks to your great advice)... it kind of sounds like a city that I would love. Yes, this might mean ditching our friends early in Khao Lak.

Kristina, sounds like you will be in Bangkok soon. I'm really looking forward to your write up of it. Have fun!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM

I've also stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel and it's absolutely fabulous...modern and sleek. I'd go back there in a heartbeat although the Four Seasons is still my #1.

I've seen many rooms at the Metropolitan including one of the split-level suites which comes with a butler and has a diningroom area where your meals can be served in your room...by the butler of course. I kind of accidentally hooked up with the then marketing director whom I hit it off with very well and was thus taken all around and shown a lot. This was less than a year after it had opened...I think summer 2005... and the suite could be had for less than $350. then. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:53 AM

BKK is indeed a magical city. Unfortunately to some is sleazy and dirty. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to visit BKK and play golf around Hua-Hin every year. I can't think of a more heavenly place that Chiva-Som in Hua-Hin.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM

BIG correction. The Four Seasons is NOT across from the Phrom Phong skytrain station. It's across from the Rajadamri skytrain station. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. It's good I just reread my post. Sorry. My serviced apartment building is at the Prom Phong skytrain station. Since I consider both my apartment building and the Four Seasons as my homes-away-from-home, I guess I got my wires crossed. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM

My husband and I are leaving for our first China trip this Thursday and the question about ATMs made us wonder if one must pay a departure tax at the airport. We didn't know about the departure tax leaving Bangkok last year and scurried around at the last minute looking for an ATM. Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Guenmai,
Thanks for all your replies. Just looking at hotels in Bangkok now. Can't believe all the great choices. The Four Seasons is up there though!

Have you ever been to the JW Marriott Bangkok on 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok?

What do you think of that location on Sukhimvit? We can get a pretty good rate here. About $150 US for March 2008.

We stayed at the JW Marriott when we were in Shanghai last month and thought it was wonderful.

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -