Terrified Traveller

Search

Terrified Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrified Traveller

Hi guys, I have been in Thailand for the past month and I have to come back to Europe next week. I'm flying Bangkok Paris, 13h flight.... I suffer from acute anxiety when flying so I take Valium. It always works for me, but when I flew over to Thailand it didn't work. I took my recommended dose, 10mg and nothing, I took 5mg extra... nothing... I took another 5mg... still nothing... then I took another 10mg... absolutely no affect.... it is very stormy and monsoons since yesterday... the weather is predicted to stay like this until I fly... the woman in the chemist told me to buy dormicum or xanax.... don't know if it would help... what can I do... I feel terrible... I get so panicky I actually cried in the way over with a bit of turbulence... I'm afraid is going to be very bumpy due to weather!!... please can anyone help?... don't know what to do and the time is approaching fast
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:00 AM

I am concerned that you took way too much valium, apparently to little effect. You would be better off just doing relaxation exercises on the plane than dosing yourself with so much valium. Sometimes anxiolytics (like valium or xanax) make people more anxious rather than less anxious.

When you get home, see your doctor about referring you to someone for treatment of your flight anxiety.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answer... no relaxation exercise works for me...I mean when flying... nothing works... I've tried everything! I just think my plane is going to crash and I feel everything from bumps to noises... it's horrible... I really don't know what to do.. I'm even considering a train trip for 3 weeks... ��
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM

I feel for you. I have no problem with flying whatsoever but an ex wife suffered as you are. She overcame it with hypnotherapy, which is probably not an option now, but you should maybe consider for the future and/or, as Kathie suggests go see your GP when you get home. Another though is that many airlines offer one day courses designed to overcome the fear of flying.

I know it is hard to believe but the reality is that you are far safer in the air than just about any other method of transport - especially in Thailand.

Firstly, do not take the advice of a "woman in the chemist" whom, as likely as not is not qualified to give advice. As far as your immediate dilemma is concerned, if you are in Bangkok, you could try getting to somewhere like Bumrungrad hospital and seeing a GP there who may be able to help. They will usually see you the same day and may be able to offer suggestions to get you over the flight home. In you position, I would probably try out any medication a couple of days beforehand to test for any side effect. I would stress that I am not a doctor.

I would also explain your fears to the ground crew and cabin staff - they may at least provide some support.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM

30 mg Valium with no effect? i'm amazed you didnt have to be carried off the plane.

Re: advice from the pharmacist/chemists shop--you can't just "buy" xanax (unless it is different in Thailand or Europe) --it is a strong benzodiazapine class med similar to Valium but usually faster acting. You need a prescription

Are you under medical care? Who Rxed the valium?

For future, you likely know there are classes that can help you conquer your phobia...maybe that will work?

There are probably other, much better forums online in which to address this question. For example:

http://fearofflying74562.yuku.com/to...s#.WG1jC7SbOMk
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
if 30 mg of valium didn't help, xanax won't either (same drug family)
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Crellston... yeah I think I'm like your wife... and the surprising thing when that happens is like I'm pretty much down to earth, don't over dramatise situations and I'm completely clean, I'm 41, I've never done drugs and I don't even drink! It's frustrating cause I really love travelling and I feel as I'm in dead row literally as If that's the plane that is going down...I'll try the hospital in Bangkok, see what they say... im flying next Wednesday, i might try the hospital here in ko Phangan so I have time to test it b4 flying ... thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Calinurse... yeah no effect at all, not even sleepy... it's never happened before, my doctor prescribed 10mg every 6 hours and it worked fine in my last trip to China...I was able to fall sleep but also had my food and went to the toilet and walked about the cabin... but not this time... in Thailand they sell everything over the counter with no prescription but I will get advice from a professional. I have tried hypnotherapy and kinesiology but does not work either... I am a very reflective person and I have worked in my own self for many years and I don't seem to be easily influenced it does not work with quitting smoking either.. i wish it would
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:07 PM
kja

While it won't work for your upcoming flight, flight phobia is generally quite amenable to treatment. When you are home, seek a consult with a cognitive behavioral therapist. And good luck!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:54 PM

Lots of drugs in Asia are counterfeit, so don't buy over the counter if you can avoid it. Go to Bumrungrad hospital or Bangkok Hospital and ask for a different type of anti-anxiety drug. Ativan (Lorazepam) works best for me.

You are wise to test it before you get on a long flight, so if you don't have a few hours for testing in Bangkok, I guess a local hospital would be the next best thing.

Is it possible you had expired or counterfeit valium? or even a mislabelled bottle? 30 mg is really a lot to have had no reaction.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I bought the Valium in Spain last year but maybe went off due to heat or dampness who knows... it expires in 2018... and i bought it over in a chemist with a prescription... it's the same one I used b4 and it worked! Just 20mg knocked me out for 13h paris China.... I'll go to the hospital and they will give me something.. thanks for all the help!! ��