Bali - Sanur or Candidasa?

Feb 28th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Corinna

Bali - Sanur or Candidasa?

Hello everyone,

I know that this question has come up several times, but the more I research it, the more confused I get!

We will visit Bali in April and are trying to decide whether to stay in Sanur or Candidasa. We like a rather quiet vacation but don't want to be totally "isolated". We enjoy snorkeling and heard that this is good in Candidasa, but there is no beach?

Thanks for your responses!!

Mar 1st, 2002, 03:30 AM
joaquin

We just came back from both. Don't put too much weight on the beaches in Sanur - they are not anything to write home about. But although Candi Dasa has cleaner water, it has no beaches at all!
If you're leaning towards the livelier place, head to Seminyak or Legian, north of Kuta, or to Jimbaran, to the South. They all have better beaches than Sanur and have a great atmosphere. But you won't find much in the way of snorkeling in the general area.
For great snorkeling, try North of Candi Dasa is sleepy Amed, which has fine beaches and is just wonderful.
Good luck!

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Kay

I must agree with the person that suggested Amed. It is very pleasant in that area and the water is very smooth and clear. We stayed north of there at the Blue Moon Villas(bluemoonvilla).

Mar 16th, 2002, 10:44 AM
topper

topping for more info please!

Mar 20th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Helena

If you don't want to be totally isolated, then you should not stay in Candi Dasa! There are few hotels (but if you stay I recommend Watergarden and The Serai), and few restaurants, not much shopping, an hour's drive to Ubud, 2 hours to Denpasar. There are lovely hikes -- I did one organized by The Serai (US$20) that went up a ridge, through rice paddies, ending at an ancient village where you could see ikat making and buy lots of baskets. The Serai also has a great restaurant and cooking classes.