Bali Luxury Accomodation enquiry

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:57 PM
sonia

Bali Luxury Accomodation enquiry

Hi

This is my first post here...hope you can help.

My fiance and I are looking for somewhere fantastic to elope to!

Much as I think Aman resorts look great in photos they just seem way too expensive - can a resort really be that good???

Has anyone heard of or stayed at Nusa Lembongan??

PLease give your opinions on any 5* resorts! I am also not too keen on the idea of staying in a 4 seasons (I am not american, so dont neccessarily feel so loyal to these brands).

Hope you can help!

Sonia

Jan 8th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Angie

Sonia

Just came back from a 1 week vacation in Bali with my bf. The place is absolutely amazing!!! you will fall in love with it completely.

I stayed at 2 places - in Ubud, the Casa Luna Honeymoon Suite hotel. We got a sweet deal (US$26) and the suite was huge with a very nice bathroom. Then we stayed at Sanur - Wakamaya. It's a bit far from the beach but it's very very private and secluded. about $115 for the bungalow - again very well designed and romantic. we were so busy sight seeing I didn't even have time to enjoy the sunken bathtube. check out the wakagroup website - www.wakamaya.com

i basically followed the fodor's guide religiously - and we had a great time! But we didn't get to visit Nusa Dua - just didn't have enough time.. but do your research in advance and figure out what you want, then pick a beach, becuz there's something for everyone in Bali!

the five star resorts are spacious, luxurious, and very expensive. My advice is that if it's your first time to bali, you will probably be out all the time (too much to do and see), and wont' spend that much time in your hotel room. But if your budget is higher than mine, i'd highly recommend the Tugu Hotel - they're listed in Fodor's as well - aka the museume hotel. We just went there for SPA and lunch and was really impressed by the place. The least expensive suite is about $280.

Good luck and hope this helped!

Angie

Jan 8th, 2002, 10:33 PM
maree

Hi Sonia
I was in bali ant the start of dec and stayed at the Hotel Tugu - it is absolutely gorgeous. The beach next to the hotel is not that good but the hotel/gardens at the hotel etc make up for it. I would reccomend the rejang suites (which happen to be the least expensive!). Look up the hotels website and contact them directly to get a good rate.
If you are interested in going over to lombok, I would also thoroughly reccomend the oberoi there - a beautiful and peaceful hotel ( there were hardly any other guests there when we were there) with fab service.
cheers

Jan 8th, 2002, 11:12 PM
momrath

I've been to Bali many, many times. I just spent 2 weeks there at my three favorite places. I couldn't begin to tell you which I like (love) best, but I would go back to anyone in a heartbeat. They are: Four Seasons Jimbaran, Chedi Ubud (Suite only) and The Legian. Four Seasons has impeccable service, exquisite villas. Downside is so-so beach, view of airport. Chedi Ubud suite is I think the best room and best deal in all of Bali. Perched on edge of Ayung river valley with wrap around terrace, totally isolated. Breathtaking swimming pool. Downside is inconsistent service. The Legian is a trendy suite hotel north of Kuta. Well designed, good food, good beach (although sometimes too rough) lots of fun.

Jan 8th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Laura

Stayed at the Le Meridien Nirwana Bali a couple of years ago and it was beautiful. No beach but it has wonderful pools and overlooks the Tanah Lot Temple. The staff was great, too. Had a massage in a Tiki hut looking thing overlooking the Indian Ocean - very nice. It's off the beaten path as no other hotels are nearby. Good luck

Jan 9th, 2002, 03:46 AM
wayne

Sonia,
If you want small boutique hotels with an intimate feel consider these (in no particular order):

Ubud
1. Begawan Giri
2. Pita Maha
3. Kamandalu
4. Chedi Ubud
5. Four Seasons Sayan
6. Amandari

Nusa Dua/ Jimbaran
7. Four Seasons Jimbaran
8. Amanusa
9. Ritz Carlton (not small)

other remote areas
10. Amankila in Manggis

Happy searching!

Jan 9th, 2002, 05:19 AM
philip

Whatever resort you chose, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't book a room or villa with a private plunge pool.

For reference, we stayed at the Four Seasons Jimbaran.

I've heard good things about the Ritz Carlton.

Jan 9th, 2002, 05:43 PM
sonia

Thans for all the advice so far...keep it coming!

Interesting to see no one really trumpeting for the Amans!! So many resorts I had never heard of too...

Any guide book suggestions????

sonia

Jan 9th, 2002, 06:24 PM
lin

We went to Bali for a company trip. While we went white water rafting a lazy Japanese colleague went to the spa at Chedi, Ubud. Hitchhiking a bike on a rocky road to the cliffside hotel, he opted for a spa package with 2 Balinese women to massage him.While we were wet, tired and hungry after our 3hr raft, he said he thought he had died and gone to heaven.

Jan 9th, 2002, 06:28 PM
wayne

For luxury hotels go to "luxurylink.com" and search for "bali". ALL the good ones are there.

Jan 11th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Made

The previously posted list is fairly accurate, although believe it or not there are many other wonderful boutique hotels such as the Ibah in Ubud. I would not recommend the Ritz Carlton unless you like a lot of cement and stone.

The Aman resorts are hustifiably famous because they are well-established, exclusive and have several hotels around Indonesia. However, there are many newer hotels which are at least as good and less expensive, too. One of the good things about the Aman hotels is thast you can get packages so you have say 4 days at the beach and 4 days in the river area of Ubud. Most of the honeymooners I meet seem to do that...split their time between the beach and mountains so they get more of feel for the culture of Bali. When you stay at the beaach you're alittle more isolated from the "heart and art" of Bali.

Hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

Jan 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
jhm

Four Seasons is a Canadian company, first of all, not an American one.

Second, you should look at the New York Times; about 2 years ago, they ran an article on a very beautiful five star resort, the name of which escapes me.