Reload this Page >

Bali - is it still a good place to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:07 PM
John

Is Bali a tourist trap or is it still a good place to go? I thought I heard that it sometimes get trashed by tourists. But I've also heard good things. What's the main attraction? The culture? The beaches? The scenery? <BR> <BR>Also, is it better to stay inland and forget about the beaches? <BR> <BR>Also, is one week enough to spend on Bali to not feel rushed and still see much of what it has to offer?

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:05 AM
yuen-pitre

TOURIST TRAP IS EVERYWHERE! Of course Bali is a tourist trap however you forget this when you are there...forget about this garbage on Bali being a Tourist trap - if you are in main tourist areas like Nusa dua - yeah - major tourist trap but you can't help but forget this once you see the beautiful statues and start smelling frangipani inscence in the air. EXOTIC AS HELL! 1 week is enough but if you really want to relax and tour then 2 weeks. Experience almost everything that you can do in Bali - yeah - try the beach. My husband and I paid more to stay in Nusa Dua's sheraton Indah hotel and came back to canada feeling satisfied that we didn't hold back on anything. I am glad I didn't limit myself because now I feel glad and do not have to say " gee I wish we had done this or that!" SPLURGE JOHN when you go on vacation - treat yourself, enjoy and say cheers to us who have to work while you enjoy the sunset with a beer in your hand! <BR> <BR>BUT JOHN, I suggest you check out recent news on Indonesia - it is unstable already and it looks like there will be some major problems coming up - Impeachment of Indonesian president has been mentionned. i don't know how much it will affect Bali as it is isolated from the rest. Keep checking the news CNN and make sure you also do a cancellation fee JUST IN CASE! <BR> <BR>ENJOY BEAUTIFUL EXOTIC BALI and I hope it stays that way forever!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:24 AM
mooshak

Tourist Trap, hah <BR>That’s has to be the biggest understatement!!!! <BR>I spend 3 weeks in Bali 6 month ago, I didn't particularly find anything really interesting in this Island, after the second temple its all the same things, avoid <BR>Ubud and Kuta if you can, but if you must see it be aware of petty theft, watch your personal belonging at all times specially when you are in the restaurants, the only thing that I can say I enjoyed in Bali was the diving in the northern part of the Island and the fact that food was cheap and the hotels prices were reasonable. <BR>I probably would not go back there again anytime soon. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:18 AM
Drew Taylor

A tourist trap? Bali? Yes, as much as New York City, London, Paris or Hawaii, but wouldn't you want to visit those places too? The previous post just didn't get "it". Bali is marvelous and it horrifies me that they "didn't find anything interesting". They clearly weren't looking. I have been to Indonesia a number of times and found the people and the country and the experience wonderful. There is a reason Bali is called the "Island of the Gods". Go, enjoy, experience.Soak it all in. What's the old adage- "A tourist goes to "see" things, a traveller goes to "experience" them. PS. <BR>Do go inland, there you find the real Bali.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:33 PM
openeyes

hi mooshak, <BR> <BR>best think YOu can do... never return to that beautiful island. Stay at home, explore all the very different interessting bars, get your adventures in the supermarkets, and your culture (shure you did already) from the tv.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:04 AM
Made

Bali is a large island and is much more than just Kuta Beach. For me, the main attraction of Bali and in fact all of Indonesia are the cultural aspects and the wonderful people. Nice beaches are to be found all over the world, but the unique Balinese Hindu culture is well worth the trip. If you come to Ubud you will be able to see the way people really live their religion in a very beautiful and meaningful way. There are wonderful rice padi walks, ancient temples, dance and art performances,and much much more. I live in a small village just north of the touristy downtown area of Ubud, and it is decidedly untouristy - people's lives revolve around their village, not tourism. <BR> <BR>I really feel one week is not enough to see Bali and begin to understand the culture and people, but then it would be a start! There are many people who come to Bali and stay a long time and never really understand the island at all.