Bali in 1-2 days - what must we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are extending our layover in Bali on the way to a Wakatobi dive trip.

If we only have 1 or 2 days in Bali, what is the best thing we should do? We don't necessarily need to "do" anything, we just want to explore and see, especially the rice paddies. Any recommndations for this brief stay?

Also, what is best city to fly "into"?

Thanks so much!

Karen
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM

There is only one city with an airport on Bali: Denpasar.

Bali is really a cultural destination. It's hard to say what will give you a sense of Bali in a mere one or two days. If the rice terraces are what attracts you to Bali, hire a driver and go to the rice terraces.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you're so sensitive, Cross. I've spent the past week trying to plan my dream trip to the best place in the world to dive before I die of cancer, which from what I've learned is Wakatobi. So I've been doing a ton of research. I've never been to this part of the world. When I plug Bali in to try to find a flight, it gives me two cities to choose from. I don't know anything about Bali and will only be spending 1-2 days there, so it hasn't been the focus of my research. I thought this forum could be used for this type of assistance.

Thanks, Kathie, I appreciate your time in informing me there is only one city to fly into Bali.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM

Denpasar is a town in Bali and also the name of a large area encompassing most of South Bali. The airport is closest to Jimbaran one of the beaches in the Southwest.

Where will you stay in Bali? With only 2 days, you don't want to spend all your time in the car. The rice paddies and green lush river valleys are mostly in Central Bali. The area around Ubud is good for for scenery and culture, but bear in mind that it's about an hour's drive from the airport.

Your resort will be able to recommend a car and driver.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM

The airport code for Denpasar is DPS, so that will avoid any confusion on websites when you search for flights to/from Bali. As already noted the island only has one airport. What you choose to do really depends on your interests - beaches (IMO, the beaches in Bali are overated), cultural sights (in which case I'd stay in/near Ubud), scenic sights (rice terraces, etc) temples, etc. You can't see/do it all in 2 or 3 days but you will have a good idea what the island has to offer in this timeframe.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM

Karen: Sorry for your illness.

For a quick trip like that, here's a way to do it as stress-free as posible. You don't say when you are arriving, but let's say its in the morning.

Arrival in Bali and have the hotel pick you up at the airport. Drive straight to Ubud, (one hour) stay at one of the nice hotels of which there are many many choices. Have a massage and relax around the pool to get over jet lag. Have afternoon drink at one of the hotels that overlook one of the rivers, either Wos River or Ayung River (both are in Ubud). Beatiful scenery overlooking river gorges.

Next morning, as the hotel to get you a driver to take you to Tegallalang, the famous deeply terraced, but small fields. It's full of touts but you can jump out of the car quickly and just take a look. It's beautiful.

Then have driver take you to one of the vast rice fields like Jatiluwih, one of the mosst famous views in Bali. There are other places, but this is one of most well known. You will be able to see some of the scope of how much of Bali is agricultural land and mountainous. Depending on your interests, either drive by Batur volcano just for a look or something else, temples, Balinese Dance, etc. Tour time can be less than 8 hours easily. Drive to airport.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Most helpful, Marmot, R James and Kuluk, thank you!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM

Sorry, forgot to tell you, Tegallalang is about 20 or 30 minutes from downtown Ubud, towards the east. Jatiluwih is about an hour towards the west.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM

@Kuluk - that was one of the best responses I have ever seen on Fodors. Well done.