Search

Bali- Hotel & Itinerary help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali- Hotel & Itinerary help please!

Hello Bali experts,

I am planning a weeklong trip to Bali in Novemeber. I realize this is much too short a trip, all the way from the US East Coast, but I just started a new job and can't take too much time off work.

As a bit of background, I was in Bali for 3 weeks some 15 years ago but my husband has never been.
I would like to stay in the south for 4nights and then go to Ubud for 2 nights (Tjampuan Hotel?).

So far, the best deal I have found is RT air and 6 nights at the Bali Melia in Nusa Dua for $1250 pp. Price is important to me, but I now think I might prefer to stay somewhere more rustic, like Sanur (Tanjung Sari hotel?).

Any advice on intinerary? Best websites/wholesalers to get a package/airfare deal from the US?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Dot

If you want to go a little cheaper in Ubud so that you can stay at the really nice resort at the beach, check out Puri Bunga in Kadewatan, about 5 min taxi ride to Ubud. It is very small, excellent service, very, very nice hotel. Peace and quiet and a pool to yourself. Amazing view over the Ayung and so, so well priced.
http://www.balihotels.com/ubud/puribunga.php
It used to be a part of Kupu Kupu Barong (now closed) next door. http://kupu-barong.com/index.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM

I have always thought that the Tanjung Sari was one of the most romantic hotels going, so I would definitely say you should consider that. If you haven't done so, run a search here for hotel suggestions, there are lots of good ones in all price ranges. You might try the Alia group, which has some great-looking hotels in Bali. Take a look at www.alilahotels.com. One of their hotels is the former Chedi outside Ubud which you might remember. They also have one up in Manggis that looks wonderful, and that is a much more undeveloped area than the Nusa Dua/Sanur area, plus there are some black sand beaches.

Have to put in a good word for Poppies Cottages in Kuta. I know a lot of people don?t' like Kuta, but it is part of the experience, and Kuta is a little quiet oasis. Take a look at www.poppiesbali.com, and see their webcam of the pool. . .Not a luxury hotel, maybe a very good 3 star, but so much charm and such lovely lush grounds. You stay in individual bungalows with bathrooms open to the sky and surrounded by greenery. The pool is built into a rock grotto surrounded by bougainvillea. Very friendly staff and the hotel is small and intimate. You can walk down to the beach for the nightly sunset ritual. At least have dinner in their great restaurant.

In Ubud, I am not sure about the Tjamphuan, I don't think they have redone the rooms in a while and I don't like their pool area at all, dark and cold at the bottom of the ravine. I think you are better off at a place overlooking the Ayung river. There are many other mid-price places to consider. One I like which is a bit outside Ubud is:

ANANDA COTTAGES
Jl. Campuhan, Ubud
Phone: 0361/975376
Fax: 0361/975375
http:// http://www.anandaubud.com
Ask for a room on an upper floor, they are 2-storey wooden bungalows with thatched roofs.

As you have not seen Ubud for 15 years, it may make you cry when you first see how built up it has become, but once you get outside the immediate main streets it is pretty much the same beautiful countryside. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:25 AM

You might try Bali Discovery Tours - www.balidiscovery.com
They have the Melia at $82/nt incl tax and service - that means your airfare works out to about $1000 pp. I checked on orbitz.com for a flight from new york in November (looong layover in Hong Kong) - Cathay Pacific is $1006 pp. You might have more hotel selection if you price separately or try Bali Discovery for a package deal. We used them for our trip (hotels only) and they were great!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have considered doing the air and hotel seperately. What is the best source for cheap airfares? Does Bali Discovery do package deals with airfare?

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I suggest contacting Bali Discovery via e-mail with your requirements and see what they'll do.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:23 PM

I live in Indonesia now and go to Bali frequently, but when I lived in New York I once made exactly the same trip for a week in Bali. My first time was in 1988, about the same time as your trip. I can tell you that Bali has changed a lot since then. (Don't worry, it's still wonderful!) In the tropics, hotels don't age too well, so in my opinion, you're better off going with the newer resorts. My favorites are the Legian on the beach and the Alila in the Ubud area. You can take a look at their websites.

I would also like to point out that the big Islamic holidays will take place this year around November 13-20. Bali isn't Muslim, but many, many people from other parts of Indonesia will be traveling to Bali and elsewhere around the region, so flights and hotel space will be tight.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:27 AM

just too remind folks air-hotel packeges are the best deals in the industry...
off course I rarely practice what I preach. since I tend too stay in guesthouses. but do check what deals are on offer.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I have done some more research a narrowed down my choices, but know I need some more help!

Sanur- eliminated the Hyatt as I don't like big chains, but I do like Sanur so the travel agent recommend
Puri Santrian
www.santrian.com

Jimbaran- never been there, sounds beautiful but is it too far removed from restaurants outside the hotel?
My 2 choices here are
Pansea Puri Bali www.pansea.com
or
Keraton Bali.

I think of all of these that the Pansea Bali sounds the most lux (for my budget anyway). Any comments or reviews?
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to mention that I eliminated Nusa Dua as a possibility, altough there are some great deals on the big hotels there. It just sounded to sterile and un-Balinese.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Dot

We stayed at the Legian Beach Hotel in 2000 and found that it was in walking distance to tons of restaurants, etc., but still was charming (get a beachview cottage) and the beach wasn't too crowded. http://www.legianbeachbali.com
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM
SD3

I haven't stayed at the Puri Santrian but am planning to next Jan. If you go to www.balitravelforum.com and do a search on for the hotel, you will get a ton of info. It gets great reviews. You can get a beach wing room for $67 on quite a few websites.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I stayed at Ananda Cottages in Ubud in June based on one of Cicerone's earlier posts about it. I would love to go back there and spend more time.