Bali Home Base for Solo Traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I am a 22 year old female moving to Canggu from the USA. I am purchasing a one way ticket for August to stay in Bali. Bali will be my home base as I travel around, I am thinking of staying for around 6 months (maybe longer). This is also my first time traveling internationally on my own. I am interested in splitting up some travel plans between exploring Bali and exploring the rest of SE Asia. Can anyone recommend some travel plans? I'd like to visit Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, and anywhere else! I am a photographer and spend a lot of my time backpacking, hiking, and camping in the US. I love pretty much everything especially great beach days, hikes, camping, and nightlife. Wherever I travel, I'd like to stay in hostels or work stays where I can meet people. I also prioritize learning about the culture as I am exploring each location. I am also up for touristy spots if they are must sees but would like to find the best places to go to really understand the places I visit. I would love absolutely any and all travel, hostel, work stays, activities, and any information you can provide! Thank you
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 09:20 PM

Hi,

Congrats on your first international trip!

Do you know that since February 2024, the Bali Government has implemented a tourist tax? It costs around 10 USD, which you can pay before you land in Bali through an app. This tourist tax is different than VOA, which you need to obtain before entering Bali. Bali doesn't have reliable public transportation, so please don't drive motorbikes if you aren't used to it (though it is the cheapest way to drive around Bali). I think it's safer if you arrange a pick-up when you arrive as the drivers at the airport can be quite intimidating. You can install the Gojek/Grab app (similar to Uber in the US), and if you want to take a taxi, please take Blue Bird (the only reliable taxi company in Bali), which also has an app. Canggu is great as a starting point as you will find many good places to eat and partying.

Beaches in Bali tend to be better in the southern part (Ungasan, Uluwatu area), but they can also have big waves and strong currents. Sanur is perfect for swimming as they don't have waves. Ubud is a great place to stroll around, but it can be too quiet for some people. If that's what you're looking for, then Ubud is perfect!

Oh, and August is a perfect month to visit, but it can be pretty hot and humid. Please be prepared! Hope you enjoy your stay in Bali!

Last edited by Moderator3; Apr 18th, 2024 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Remove website promo
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:23 AM

Hello
I am a Frenchman who lives in Hanoi since end of 2007 et knows Vietnam upside down. I have posted many travel notes, which I have gathered in a 55-page document, thus too big to put on this forum. Give me your email-address and I send them to you by return. And do not worry, at 80-year of age and a diploma from one o the 3 best business schools in the world, I do not work fo a travel agency, I am in happy retirement
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 01:39 AM

Hi There!

Thanks for the insights about Bali!
You can also check ON Bali on the website for travels insight to Bali.

Cheers
Adita
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 01:14 AM

Hey there! I would highly recommend to check Canggu section on the On Bali (onbali dot com) website – there are a lot of reviews (hotels, places, activities and etc.) and travel tips (me & my friends visited some cafes & events by their recommendation and it was exactly as they said). And also follow other local communities in your area for any news & opinions.