Back to BKK once again!

Search

Back to BKK once again!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to BKK once again!

Hello from Sukhumvit soi 4! I'm staying a few nights at Majestic Grande. The room is rather smallish... two twin beds... but very comfortable. Very attentive staff. A lovely spread for breakfast (included). There are oodles of Americans staying here right now. I'm moving to the Holiday Inn by the Central World Plaza on Sunday and will spend 5 nights there. Majestic did not have a room for me for my entire visit so I opted to try another "new' place for me.

Immigration took a long time, as did waiting for baggage last night (er... this morning very early) at the new airport. I found my way to the taxi stand and paid 230 baht (plus 65 baht tolls) to get from the new airport to the Majestic Grande. That even included the taxi driver going around in circles a bit, due to traffic and construction, and the fact that he wasn't quite sure where he was going...

Took a walk down soi 4 (where I am now doing internet) to visit Omni Tower and maybe see friends. I noted that my old favorite, the Brunswick, is now a new, or should I say updated, apartment building. The former Brunswick is now a lobby. Not quite the same... sad to see an old friend disappear.

I know there was a discussion here about the airport departure tax. Some think it is to disappear, price being added to airplane tickets after Feb 1. I asked at immigration, but he may or may not have known the truth of the matter. He indicated that it is 700 baht. We'll see if I pay it upon exiting BKK in a week.

Will post more in the days ahead. Hope everyone is staying warm back at home in the sub-zero weather!! It's probably 85 here! (sorry... had to do that)

Carol
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM

don't tell a taxi driver to take you to soi 4 as your hotel is on soi 2....

are you new to bkk?? haha

buy, buy, buy

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Your ticket should say whether you already had the tax added to it. Check the bottom portion. I bought a ticket 3 weeks ago and the departure tax was included.

Are you talking about Brunswick Pool Hall on Soi 4?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM

No "E" Carol-keep us alerted to all of your events. Hope you get to eat chili at Ming's. Ignore Bob, as should we all.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

I'll have to check my ticket for that departure tax! I hope it's already paid, but I'll be prepared just in case.

Bob, soi 4 is where I'm doing my internet. It's only 1 baht per minute!

Andy, nothing exciting to report yet. I'm just enjoying the nice weather. No new restaurants to report. Maybe next time I post.

Bisbee... yes, the Brunswick pool hall. It's gone (too bad). We used to all meet up there regularly. No, I'm not a pool player, but DH and DS both love the game. That was their favorite place to play. Lots of friendships have been begun at Brunswick. Did you ever play there? Do you know the place?

Carol
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Carol - save some of that nice hot weather for us - we leave Thursday, arriving Friday afternoon...
Craig and Jeane
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Craig and Jean,
I'm really sorry I'll miss you. I'll be on my way home then. I'm sure you will find plenty of lovely weather here... hot and humid, just the way we like it.

Carol