Back in Bangkok!

Search

Back in Bangkok!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in Bangkok!

Hello, or should I say sawadee kah! I'm back in Bangkok. I arrived late last night/this morning and am severely jetlagged.

Even in first class, one doesn't necessarily "sleep" in the true sense. That was true for me, anyway.

I like the Adelphi Suites. The location is really quite nice. It is a short walk down to the Nana skytrain station, and it just happens to be the one entry that has the escalator going UP to the skytrain!! Those of you who have been here before know that not all entrances UP to the skytrain are on escalators. Nice to have one here.

Weather is what I might call "cool" at 10 in the morning. We (DH and I) went for a short walk in the neighborhood this morning after eating the breakfast buffet here. They do a nice breakfast at Adelphi and it is included in the price.

We walked just a little further into soi 8, beyond Adelphi, to take a look at the new restaurant that friends recommended, called Kinneree. It looks a lot like Face from the street. Very Thai looking, set back behind a gate, looks "upscale"... There is no spa at Kinaree. I forget who asked me to find out about that. We plan to do dinner there one night so I shall see what the food does for me. It is a Thai restaurant.

The pool on the 16th floor here is not large but the area is nice. There is also a gym on that floor, with a number of machines, if that interests anyone. The pool is salt water. There are only 4 chaise lounges poolside, and just one small table with four chairs to sit at. We shall see if it is a busy place or not. I can see spending quiet time by the pool!! The air was quite nice and fresh.

Time to go get a new SIM card in my Thailand/Europe phone at MBK. I bought a 500 baht skytrain ticket so I can ride and ride and ride!!

I'll be in touch. So far, so good.

Carol
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for checking in with us. I look forward to your report on Kinneree (There's a place here in Seattle called Kinnaree). Have a wonderful time and let us know about all of your new discoveries!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM

have a great trip....i rule out the pool already....haha

but lucky you with the escalator!!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Have a great trip, carol
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

DH and I just got back from a trip on the skytrain. We went to MBK to get a new SIM card for my phone, and then went from National Stadium down to Taksin pier and took the shuttle to the Oriental. We are booked for the rice boat dinner cruise on Saturday night!! Gloria, we sat in the lobby and had a cup of coffee. Things were pretty quiet there today.

guenmai, if you are lurking, I saw the Teena Page bags. I've seen them before and just didn't recall the designer's name. They are really unique! I may have to get one before going home.

Chinese New Year is really big here right now. It's the year of the rat and the rat is a leader, so not a bad sign, even though we don't like rats.

Via Vai, which is right across the street from Adelphi, doesn't look like much from the outside, but DH and I are both pizza connoiseurs (sp) and if DH says it's good, then it's good! I'm anxious to try it.

Bob and Karen, there is a once-a year sale at a Thai craft market someplace down by China Town... but it is one day only and I'm too pooped to try to get there today. The sale is over in 35 minutes... maybe NEXT year. A Thai lady we met on the Oriental shuttle boat told us about the sale. She sounded very enthused about it. Oh well...

I have taken photos of the apartment and will try to figure out a place to post them. It may not be right away, but I'll do my best to get them out there as quickly as I can.

Time for a little nap.

Carol
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM

Hi Carol! Lucky you in bangkok! and how nice that DH is along this time!

Are the Adelphi suites on the same side as Landmark hotel, or across? I was very happy with that location the time I stayed at Landmark.

Have fun and keep us updated,

Lucy
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Carol-glad you made it. Hope you and DH have a great time. Good thinking about the pool description. That will prevent Bob from ruining the Adelphi Suites.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

It's after 5am and I'm up. Thought I'd get on line and post a bit.

DH and I had dinner with two friends from Illinois last night. We ate at a German restaurant on soi 1, just behind Bumrungrad. It was a nice restaurant, pleasant enough, food was so-so. I'm just not a big fan of German food.

Disaster at home... we had email from DS that there was a blizzard and thunder-lightning storm going on, and computers and phones are down. UGH... just what we need. We had big losses last August from a straight-line 95mph wind that took off our roof. Here we go again... although there is no physical damage THIS TIME! Thank goodness. It'll just take some time to get computers and phones back up. I'm glad we're in BKK and not Illinois!!haha Let DS and BIL and others deal with this situation.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to report a little more about the Adelphi Suites. Internet is not wireless. We have a LAN connection, which is rather spotty as far as staying connected. If I try to post anything lengthy, it cuts off. Might be time-limited?? I'm not sure. If it is idle, while I'm typing, then it cuts off.

Anyway, there are two free computers in the lobby and we have our laptop here in the apartment. So we manage to stay connected most of the time.

Each time I log on, there is a warning about the hotel's web site not being "secure" and so I don't think I would consider trying to buy anything, or put in banking info that someone "lurking" out there might be able to get hands on. But just posting emails to home, and posting here on fodors is not a "security" risk... I hope.

Anyway, posts will be in segments rather than long diatribes. (andy, how do you like that word)
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

The apartment has two floor to ceiling windows. One is in the livingroom and one is in the bedroom. I like having that lovely daylight coming in! Our view is of soi 6, which is a back street, with a new Sofitel Grand Sukhumvit Hotel in plain view. Looks nice. Bob, the pool is on about the 6th floor and looks very tropical from our point of view.

The walk to the skytrain escalator is only a couple of minutes, yes, lcuy... same side of the street as the Landmark. I can see the top of the Landmark out the window. This location is really handy.

I love the rainbath shower head we have. We also have a great soaking tub in the bathroom. One sink (the raised design) with a good amount of counter space on either side. There is a toilet hose (this is a classy place, after all) which DH likes to use.

There are no pots for cooking. We have dishes and silverware, and we have a hotpot and instant coffee packets to we're good to go. The fridge is a nice size. We have space for our snacks, plus there are some mini-bar type items in there too. Cupboard space is adequate, as is closet space in the bedroom and bath.

All in all, a good choice. I think I would stay here again.

The buffet breakfast is good. There are fresh fruit selections, a couple of cereals, you can get eggs cooked to order (omelets are good) and also breads and such.

The breakfast place is really a Spanish restaurant. DH says it's a good place. Nice atmosphere. You can dine inside or outside. Weather has been nice enough to consider dining outside!!

More later. DH is wanting me to do something.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the report, Carol. Sorry we'll be missing you. Can't wait - just 9 days til we leave.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the report Carol, especially the details on the Adelphi Suites!

I think it will be just fine for us.

Thanks again,
Liz
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM

no energy for a one day sale????? what's wrong with you??? get out there and get bargains!!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Don't forget V9 at the top of the Sofitel Silom and try Aldo's at the Ascot on Sathorn for lunch. Also, if you see Mack, walk down a block or two and check out Siam@Siam.

Its still snowing here. You aren't missing a thing.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Glad you arrived safely, Carol and are having a great time. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Sawadee kah, friends.

I'm still jetlagged so I'm up reading fodors before 6 am here in Bangkok.

Yesterday (wednesday) I made my way to the Central Chitlom department store. They are having huge sales, and have even set up some of their best sale items in their "events center" on the 3rd floor. I think I might just have to buy a Michel Angelo handbag that I saw there. It's calling my name...

Dinner last night was pizza at Via Vai, right across the street from the Adelhi Suites. The pizza was really quite good! There were at least three tables of real Italians dining out on the verandah near us. Must be good if Italians eat there....

I met my dear friend, Maeng, who I have mentioned many times here. She no longer has her Little Kitchen restaurant. There were some problems with the landlord... but she is very happy being back at the Pickled Liver just off soi 11. So life for Maeng seems pretty good right now.

Maeng and I will go today to the "secret market" which I think just about everyone now knows about...lol Perhaps a stop off in Pratunam area as well. I've not been there yet.

There are some really excellent sales going on right now in Bangkok. Bob, I'm sorry I couldn't make the one-day sale at the Thai Center. We were actually on our way back to the Adelphi and did not have the time to make the sale that day.

Be ware of girls in red outfits. DH seems to think that the Thai lady who told us about that craft sale works for the government and tries to get tourists to go to government shopping places. She tried to tell us that she was a nurse; she had seen us having coffee at the Oriental... maybe she assumed we were staying there... (think lots of $$$)

DH has a physical at Bumrungrad this morning. Hope everything goes well.

More later...

Carol
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Carol,

At the moment if you use your American Express card at Central on the weekend and holidays you will get an additional 5% off(3% on other days) and on top of the sales price too. Also I recommend that you apply for "the one card" at Central and start accumulating points and they have many other benefits as well.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Carol,
Its nice reading your updates and seeing you are back in BKK. Now please go get a chicken with cashews so that those of us who can't really get a good one can know at least someone is having a terrific Thai meal.
Have fun.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM

yea...chicken and cashews....
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:10 AM

We are in Bangkok now too - we are just spending our last night of three at the Peninsula - our splurge! We got a Suite Deal for 2 nights and although I then paid for a smaller room for our final night we were offered to keep the suite if we paid a bit extra and so thats what we have done. We have been to Bangkok many times but its out first stay at the Peninsula celebrating a big birthday and Chinese New Year (there was a great lion dance here this morning).

Just to pick up on what you said about the lady and the craft sale. I read what you wrote and then scoured the Bangkok Post for What is Happening Today and still couldn't see the craft fair. I think you are right - that person was a tout or scammer - when you come off the bat at Saphan Taksin a number of smartly dresse. qute well spoken individuals try to get you in conversation - they aren't just being friendly and clearly have it in mnd to take you somewhere or get something. I mentioned this to my husband this morning - I saw the couple who were on the boat across with us stopped by a woman and as I was walking ahead of my husband a smartly dressed man started to ask where I was going. Most Thai people wouldn't dream of approaching someone like that, as neither would we approach someone and ask that in London, unless asked for help. Each day when we have crossed the river these same people are there just waiting to be helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -