Baan Rai Lanna Resort - Chang Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have there been any recent travelers to stay here? Doing a search netted results from April 06 and I was wondering if anyone had a more recent experience.

Also, any idea how to go about booking a room with them, or pricing? I can't find them on sawadee and tripadvisor gives no idea on pricing.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM

Hi Kat-

I inquired recently and was quoted a rate of 2200 baht for a double room with breakfast. You can contact them directly via the website: www.baanrailanna.com

I haven't yet been, though.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Hi,
Just spent Feb 2007 in Thailand and 4 of those wonderful days were at the Baan Rai Lanna, an hour north of Chiang Mai. My sister and I loved it, Kob is the manager and is a sweetheart that will do anything she can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The accomodations were great and the food even better,find their webpage and the pictures accurately depict the resort. One thing I have to mention.....one the of the best Thai massage I have ever had was at this resort. The location is isolated with no easy access to any small town or city, so night life is not easily available....when we were there we did a day tour of the hilltribe villages and river rafting. Kob is the one to contact for reservations of both activities. The cost per night was 55.00 US and that included breakfast. We used the resort car and driver for transportation to and from the resort. I made the reservation at their website by e-mail but called on phone to give credit card info as they do not have a secured e-mail address. Hope this helps and enjoy!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM

scarlet-

Thanks for the review. How were the prices for meals and massages? Just asking, as it would seem there would be no other dining options but the hotel.

Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM

cruisin,

we stayed there for 3 nights this past November and it was honestly one of the highlights of our trip. it's simple elegance at its' most understated.

when we were there, scott (a british expat...and a wonderful guy) owned and ran the place...not sure who the manager named by scarlet is, so maybe there's been some reshuffling of management.

meals were dirt cheap--maybe 100 to 300 baht max...and it was bar-none the best meals we had while in thailand. don't forget to try the pad see ewe--it's the stuff dreams are made of. didn't take advantage of a massage by tiew (hopefully she's still there), but everyone else who was staying there raved about her and if i remember correctly, those were extremely cheap as well. nothing at this place is even remotely overpriced--it's in the middle of nowhere and it's not really that kind of place.

the whole thing has the feel of staying at a good friend's villa in the middle of the mountains...surrounded by your own little rice patty. it's quite magical. if you're looking for 4 or 5 star amenities, this is not the place for you. we found the surroundings to be gorgeous and the proximity to rafting and elephant excursions very convenient.

for what you pay vs. what you get, it's one of the best deals we found on our entire vacation.

good travels!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM

thanks filmwill. BRL really does sound lovely. I enjoyed your blog (catty comments in particular)! Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Kat,
My sister and I stayed for 4 nights and out total bill was
15,805 baht. Here is the breakdown:
accomodations @ 5400 baht

food and beverages @ 2155 baht

transfer to and
from Chiang Mai @ 2000 baht

the elephant trip
for two and
hilltribe tour
and rafting @ 4000 baht

4- 1 hr massages @ 300 baht each
2- manicure&pedicure 300 baht each

laundry @ 150 baht

Scott is still the owner but was in England during our stay. He hired Kob the end of Nov. to manage the place when he was gone. She does an excellant job and is a joy. Teiw has our vote for the best massages we recieved while in Thailand. We hope to return Feb 2008 and highly recommend this resort. Any other questions just let me know. Have a great time!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful to hear! Thanks so much for the reviews Scarlett and Filmwill!

As soon as I see the H tonight, we'll be sending off inquiries to book.

katherine
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Just wanted to add my review although I am guessing that you have already decided ;-)

We stayed at Baan Rai Lanna in Feb 07 for 3 nights and how much we wished we stayed longer. It is an absolutely delightful hideaway! We had the resort to ourselves for 2 nights and on the last night shared it with only 1 other guest!!! The staff were incredibly helpful, and include an on-site masseuse…

The resort and the area are very relaxing and picturesque. They have mountain bikes available with a map of the local area and villages. We twice went for bike rides, and they turned out to be a highlight of the whole trip – despite being in the middle of nowhere, we felt safe and even explored some poor guy’s banana grove (by accident).

We also organised a tour to the Karen Long Neck tribe –which turned out to be the human zoo as expected - and Lang Dao cave – ok but nothing great. We would have preferred to have staying at the resort to enjoy the birds and mountain scenery from the infinity pool – which by the way, if you go in you are braver than me.

Scott, the owner, was also away while we were staying there. Kob, the manager was hardly seen but Tiew has made our stay absolutely wonderful, she looked after us so well, nothing was too much trouble for her.

We loved Baan Rai Lanna so much, I am hoping that one day soon we can return!
Enjoy your stay you are in for a TREAT!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We made our booking this morning!

We were quoted a rate of 2000THB per night for a room with a king bed, A/C, balcony and breakfast.

I'm so very excited!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Kat-

I'll eagerly await your review of the BRL upon your return.

If it's not too much trouble when you are there, would you mind asking the BRL folks how effected they are by the smoke/field burning in Feb & March? I'm considering staying there next Feb with my family, but that issue concerns me.

Thanks and have a great trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Cruisin - I'll certainly attempt to remember.

I was browsing the website for the Anantara elephant camp yesterday and the director keeps a pretty extensive blog. I found this post and was quite interested in it.

http://news.helpingelephants.org/200...ster-envy.aspx