Ayutthaya Tour in BKK -Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all..we have heard that the Ayuttaya city of BKK is equivalent to Angkor Wat in Cambodia? Is this true? Please share details. And please recommend tours. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:10 AM

I really enjoyed Ayyuthya - but you will read a bunch of posts on this forum from people who thought it was a waste of time and found it boring. IT depends on how much you like ruins and how much time you have in Bangkok. We took a car and driver - you can ask ratt or www.julietaxi.com and hired a local guide. She really enhanced our appreciation of what we saw, the history, context - her name is Kie, she is a college student and you can mail her on [email protected].
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM

It is definitely NOT comparable to Angkor Wat but it is interesting in its own right especially if you are interested in archeology and history. I agree with Hobbes that your enjoyment will be enhanced enormously if you have a guide who can tell you the history. I would hire a private guide as hobbes suggests rather than taking a tour since you can linger or hurry along based on your own interests. I used Ratt the last time I went as a driver. She can also give you some information but since this will be your first time I would suggest you hire a private guide as well.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I too have immensely enjoyed Ayuthaya. If you decide to go, be sure to return to BKK on a cruise, and I also recommend a visit to Bang Pa In (the summer palace of the Sukhotai kings).

I would gladly do Ayuthaya again.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM

P.S. I meant Ayuthaya kings, not Sukhothai. Sorry!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:22 AM

By no means is it in any way comparable to Angkor Wat. You'll see ruined wats in Ayuthaya, but that's the only similarity.

I enjoyed the trip to Ayuthaya. I loved the boat trip (I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if we'd gone by road both directions) and the stop at the summer palace. If you are going to Angkor this trip, I wouldn't do the trip to Ayuthaya because it will pale so much in comparison.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:34 AM

ok everyone has been positive and now i have to say that i did not like it at all...i loved the temples around siem reap (angkor), so i am not anti-ruins...

i much preferred the visit to the summer palace and the adjoining wat/training school...

if you have lots of time, i would include it, but if not it should be a pass..imnsho
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM

I loved Ayuthaya, but we had a fantastic guide. Depends how much you like history I suppose.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:19 AM
CFW

SidB, Who was your guide & how did you arrange for him/her? Did you take the boat back or drive both ways?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I think the boat ride back is a bit of a waste of time. There are much better ways to enjoy the river than on one of these big boats. I'd skip the big tour which includes the boat back, hire a guide and driver and see it at your own pace. I would definitely recommend that you go to the Summer Palace en route.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM

we did both ayutthaya and angkor wat.
both are very hot places but well worth
the visit. we like ayutthaya, the reclining buddha, the buddha head in the banyon tree...great photo on a plate souvenier....we hired a tuk tuk
who took us around the park. we saw a huge monitor lizard cross a four lane road and stop traffic for minutes.
if you have a book, it will explain the major ruins.
you can go by river, train or its an hour taxi cost $25....
angkor wat was incredible, magical and
the most amazing place i have ever seen.
no comparison , it is a treasure not to be missed.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I enjoyed visiting Ayuttaya very much. However, IMO, it in no way compares to Angkor Wat. (I don't think anything does...)
However, I really enjoyed seeing A.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Mark Ath:

Advertising is not allowed on this site.

All of your 14 posts are commercials for Julie's Taxi(very bad commercials I must add).

Aloha!