Avian/Bird Flu

Jan 26th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Avian/Bird Flu

Has anyone recently returned from Thailand? What are people doing as precautions? I just read this article about the bird flu and I'm due to leave next month. Please post messages with any info. I'm deciding whether to cancel my trip or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3428843.stm

Thanks

Jan 26th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Shaveli: Based on replies I have received and more research locally (we are going in Feb) we will NOT cancel our trip!!
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Skaye. During lunch we decided to go.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM

There have been several posts about this on this board. Do a search. Thus far there has been no human to human transmission. Close contact with live chickens, ducks or geese and their manure is required for transmission.
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:42 AM

If things remain the same as in the last three weeks, you won't have a lot of choice about whether or not to eat chicken meat. That's because most restaurants aren't serving it. However, they do serve chicken eggs.
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We were cautious for a while but no new cases, the Gofvernment stepped in and took drastic measures. Certainly no reason to even considor canceling a trip.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM

I'll be visiting Bangkok 3/4-3/13. Was very nervous at first, but it seems they've gotten things under control as far as the flu goes. No human to human transmission. I plan to stay out of markets that carry live birds--if they even do that right now. We're staying in Chinatown--anyone have any thoughts/impressions about the China Princess there? This is the first vacation I've booked online--does it show? To change the subject briefly---Fodor's rocks! I used the guide for India when I traveled to Calcutta in September. What a great trip and a great city. Only had five days so didn't get to see a great deal. Plus the weather was so humid--not unusual for that time of year I think--that it was too oppressive to try to do much during the day. We stayed at the Peerless---a bit of age on her but still a great hotel and really excellent service for the price. We wanted to eat at the Blue Fox but found it to be under some serious de-construction. Settled on the Oasis just a short distance up the street and it was tremendous.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:59 AM

Wasn't there a recent news story about the first observed bird flu case in cats??? I got the news flash and no details as to how the cat contracted it. It appearantly was a big concern because Canada went on alert as soon as the news broke out.

Moreover, has there been any reports of sars, birdflu, or any other diseases reported in Japan? Or has it mainly affected adjacent islands and china?
Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:19 AM

A couple of cats caught and chewed into the flesh of a couple of birds who had it, that's all, no big deal.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:07 AM

Since we dont eat meat, chicken is a major part of our diet. Is it safe to eat cooked chicken in Thailand? We would never cancel the trip-just eat more fish and Pad Thai.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:19 AM

No meat, fish, or chicken in my diet, however, I still get an uneasy feeling about all this. So no reports of any of these diseases/infections in Japan right?