ATMs

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMs

I'll have a few days in Japan (primarily Kyoto) in January. I am used to using ATMs to get local currency in Europe. Will I find ATMs in Japan, for example, at Narita? My ATM cards can access PLUS, STAR, and PULSE networks. What are my other options for obtaining local currency for the lowest cost?
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM

It is not as easy as getting local currency in Europe. I was able to get yen from a Narita ATM. Ordinary banks for the most part do not take non-Japanese ATM cards. However, the Post Office branches and 7-11 stores have ATMs that take non-Japanese cards and are plentiful in larger cities.
I've always found that using an ATM card was the lowest cost option at least compared with obtaining foreign currency from my bank at home in NYC. It depends on the charges of your particular bank....
Enjoy!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
kja

Hi, zscore -

Here's a link to some info about ATMs in Japan:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

As Mara said, you can probably use your card at post office ATMs. I don't remember the web address, but I used a site that shows all post offices in Japan, with their hours (including the ATM hours). Narita's post office ATM info is at this link:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...st/svc_23.html

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM

At Narita Airport (in both terminals), there is a Citibank ATM just outside the customs hall that is always available and takes foreign cards.
Once in town, youir best bet are Citibank ATMs (in major cities only, but several in Tokyo and Kyoto), Post Office (varying ATM operating hours) and 7-Eleven convenience stores (open 24 hours). Other ATMs are hit-and-miss: some take foreign cards, most don't (esp those attached to local bank branches).
What I do is to stock up on yen whenever I see a working ATM for non-Japanese cards, NOT to start looking for one when I'm running out of cash, esp evenings and weekends. Japan is a safe country (for the most part) and locals routinely carry a large amount of cash. You should exercise commonsense precautions, of course.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Yes, Post Offices, 7-11's and in the large cities there are some Citibank ATMs around.

That is the extent of the ATM use for foreigners in Japan.

It is not as bad as it sounds as there are many Post Offices in every large city and at least one even in most small towns. 7-11's are everywhere just as in the states.

Aloha!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM

There are a small number of other ATMs that take foreign cards. They include some newer banks like Shinsei Bank (often located at train stations), those operated by credit card companies (JCB, Saison ATMs), certain banks (like Mitsui-Sumitomo, but not all their ATMs take non-Japanese VISA cards).
But as their availability and operating hours vary a lot, it's best to rely on the three main sources of cash withdrawals. But if one of the other ATMs is located near to where you are staying, it may be convenient to use it, as you don't have to hunt around for one.
There is no charge for using ATMs with a foreign card (any charge is imposed by your own card issuer) and exchange rate is the one set by Visa/Plus or Mastercard/Cirrus, plus any loading stuck on by your bank. The only exception is 7-Eleven ATMs that charge 210 yen per withdrawal for Mastercard/Cirrus card (but not for any other card).