Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Asia--1st time traveller--What's the biggest culture shock?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you know because you've given me some great help, I am thinking about a possible trip to Asia (Vietnam spoecifically). This will be our first Asia visit, and I am wondering what gave you the most culture shock. I guess I am trying to discern what will be the most different from other out-of-the-USA trips we've made. These are things I've anticipated could cause culture shock, but I could also be way off base & never even given a thought to the most common issues.

Language issues--I've successfully dealt with these in the past.

Squat toilets--I've used a hole in the floor before & as a long-time camper have done a lot of peeing in the bushes.

Poverty--this is a hard one as it always makes me realize how privileged I am.

Beggars--see poverty--always make me feel uncomfortable.

Masses of people???--I remember wondering when visiting San Francisco's Chinatown if this was a taste of Asia.

This is just a beginning. As I said, maybe I am way off base. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM

You will probably adjust after a few days, and jet lag is part of it.

All of your senses will recognize something different. It smells different, it sounds different, it looks different, and things taste different. And you will look more out of place than you do in Europe.

Most everyone I've talked to has needed a few days to settle into a normal comfort factor on their first trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM

For me, it's the dogs.

I don't know that I'll ever get used to them.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM

I thnk the heat, combined with the sheer numbers of people, and the necessity to haggle over <b>everything</b> are my biggest problems with adjusting into ASian countries.

As Brad said, you get over it, but the first few days in an unfamiliar Asian country are always are always a bit stressful.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM

the spitting (in china)anywhere and everywhere is something I will never get used to!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
From my trip report to Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia posted back in March:

&quot;How to describe our first impression of Bangkok... I can tell you right now that whatever words I find, they’ll be inadequate. The city is overwhelming – an onslaught of the senses.

&quot;It’s hot and humid – oppressively so. It’s crowded – the sidewalks teem with people. It’s noisy – streets are jammed with cars, tuk-tuks, and motorbikes (weaving in an out among the traffic, all drivers apparently having a death-wish). It’s colorful – with bright scarves, beaded jewelry and fresh fruit of every variety imaginable. It smells – a new smell every 10 to 15 feet depending on what’s for sale at the current stand: pungent flower bracelets, curry soup in cast-iron pots, dead fish laid out on display, skewers of meat, or some other unidentifiable substance that is apparently meant to be food. And there’s no end to it – one stand right after the other as far as the eye can see and the legs can carry you. Behind the stands are stores selling everything you can think of - shoes, luggage, jewelry, hardware, incense, housewares, and on and on.

&quot;It’s almost more than the Western senses (especially jet-lagged Western senses) can take in. And it’s totally fascinating – it all screams for your attention. There’s so much to look at, and the scenery changes every few feet, while remaining eerily the same. (Didn’t I just SEE that stand? But no, it’s different and the woman running it is different.)

&quot;Ah, Bangkok. I was totally smitten in that first half hour...&quot;

Culture shock? Yes! Fascinating? Definitely. Wouldn't trade it for anything. And can't wait to go back!

(And if you're interested in my full report - although it doesn't cover Vietnam - you can search for Karen and Julie and it will pop up.)
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM

karen has said it well to add to what the others have said...

the cost is something too...its soooooo cheap....and you get so much for your dollar...

the variety: food, shopping, a/c, dress, smells, toilets, modes of transport, etc, etc...

don't worry, just go and enjoy and join a long line of us returnees....
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
mjs

I think the first culture shock you will have is to understand that Asia is not a monolithic country but a huge continent with many very different countries and cultures. Mumbai and Kyoto for example are both in Asia but are more dissimilar than New York and Rome
which are two different continents. What will give one culture shock would than very much depend on where one is from and where specifically one is going.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM

What gave me culture shock was the enormous amount of color in the streets: colorful awnings, colorful garments being worn by residents, colorful plates of food, etc.

What also gave me culture shock was the near absence of the Roman alphabet. The florid calligraphy of Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and the other languages caused me to view them as art rather than as communication.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:08 AM

In Japan it was being STARED at. And I mean someone standing about 6 feet in front of you and Stareing for abut 30 seconds. One guy almost walked into a pillar and an old woman followed me into the bathroom and stood staring at me so close she was almost touching me.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM

Geckos/lizards running around in some of my hotel rooms. I detest reptiles of ANY sort. I'd rather come face-to-face with a tiger than a gecko. Yuck! Happy Travels!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Depends where you are going.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM

Probably it was our first attempt to cross the street, a very wide one too, in HCMC, an unnerving experience at the best of times. You get used to it -sort of. Other than that, the sheer number of people, the unfamiliarity of your surroundings - but nothing too disorienting. After all, you're among people, not alien life forms. The excitement of being somewhere really different, interesting, lively and colourful, with so much to learn, and among such genuinely nice people, outweighs &quot;culture shock&quot; - I think &quot;culture surprise&quot; is a better way to describe it.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Neil Oz I was just going to make that point. It depends how you define culture &quot;shock.&quot; I always think its those things you didn't expect that are difficult to cope with - things like being stared at or people who want to touch you, your hair, your children, to carry your bags for you unasked(and then expect payment!) and just pestering you to buy goods or services you don't want, braid your hair etc. That can be really upsetting when you're tired and always coping with sensory overload
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM

For me the biggest thing about VN was the motorbikes. oodles and oodles of bikes everywhere ... and the vietnamese girls in the national dress.

It was if you were in a sureal place where time forgot.

Toto.. we're not in Kansas anymore =)
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

For me, in Hanoi, it was sheer terror to try to cross the street. I was letting out little screams each time we needed to cross.We had met a nice couple at the BKK airport who had been living in Vietnam for 10 years and they really warned us to be extremely careful crossing as many tourists had been hit. There is never a break in the wave after wave of motorbikes. The other biggie for me on our first day in Vietnam was walking through a market, and looking at one of the stalls where I began to point out to dh, &quot;oh look at all the roasted suckling pi..... aghhhh they were dogs. In the same market, there were oodles of fresh flower stands, and I was able to buy several bunches of exquisite flowers for our room for something like $6. They would have cost me over $100 at home.
Sue
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of the term &quot;culture surprise&quot; rather than culture shock. Thanks for filling me in so I don't have &quot;culture shock&quot;.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I have not been to VN, but I was surprised by the sheer masses of people on my first trip to Asia. And the motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Ditto on the &quot;Culture Surprise&quot;
Actually my first big moment was in the Tokyo subway - Our tickets would not go through the turnstile.
The attendant in the ticket booth came out and figured out that we had purchased the wrong tickets. With many bows, he took our tickets and started to JOG back to the last ticket window to help us get our money back. Then he walked us to a ticket machine and showed us how to purchase the correct ticket.
At that moment I said to myself - &quot;I am not in the US any more!&quot;
I know it's not VN, but anywhere is Asia seems more alien than Europe.