April in Bangkok, again!

Search

April in Bangkok, again!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April in Bangkok, again!

Tonight will be my park, sleep, fly near OHare, and then I'm flying off to Bangkok (trip #31) tomorrow! This will be a 2-week trip, a typical length for me as it is hard to leave for a longer time. This will not be a shopping trip in the same sense that I used to do, when having a vendor space at a local shop. But, I'll still visit my usual favorite places... Platinum Fashion Mall, MBK, Central Chitlom store, Paragon, etc. I'd thought about a beach trip this time, and still may find time for one by cancelling reservations I've already made.

I'm trying out two new hotels/serviced apartments on this trip. My first four nights (of 13) will be at the beautiful Centre Point Terminal 21. I've had a tour of this hotel, and it really is very nice. The views can be really amazing. We'll see what I get for a "deluxe" room with breakfast included.

Then I will be off to the brand new Marriott apartments/hotel at sukhumvit soi 57. This one is so new there are no pictures posted yet on TA. Anxious to give my own review. I've got a 1-bedroom apartment, with WASHING MACHINE (yippeeee) but no breakfast included. The price is somewhat less than Terminal 21 hotel room!! This may be because it is so new. DH says we might opt to move to this new Marriott in the future, since the skytrain is nearby and it makes moving around the city very easy. A quick taxi ride from lower Sukhumvit (where I spend a lot of my BKK time) when the BTS is closed for the night.

Then, I'll finish up at my home away from home, the Adelphi Suites, Sukhumvit soi 8. It was a toss-up between AS and trying out the Pachara Suites on soi 6. I finally decided to return to soi 8 because I love the neighborhood feel of this soi, and I "know" so many of the folks along this small soi.... food vendors, taxi drivers, etc... and they all smile and say Sawasdee Kah!

DS is already in Bangkok (actually Samui right now) with friends, getting ready for the birthday bash at Tawandang next week!!!

I am expecting some further security enhancement at OHare tomorrow, given the bombing at the Boston Marathon yesterday. I will be sure to give myself added time for check-in. Tomorrow's flights are in business class so should be comfy and restful.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM

Have a great trip Carol,again we will miss each other i am going at the end of May only. Can't wait to hear about the new Marriott and your adventures...
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Tagging along again

Waiting for word on the new digs you are staying in this time around. We are probably heading back next year after Bali. Have a fab two weeks in your favorite city in the world, Linda and I are jealous. Happy birthday to Brad!!!

Aloha!
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Am very envious!
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Bon voyage! Looking forward as always to your reporting...
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM

simpsonc510 - If you wish to see reviews and photos of Marriott at sukhumvit soi 57, you will find some here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...7-reviews.html
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks poutine! I'm on flyertalk, but not into the hotels forum(s). That information and set of pics was just what I needed to get me excited about trying out this brand new Marriott. I'm assuming that as a platinum, I will have access to the exec lounge, even if I am staying in the serviced apt section of the hotel.

jsdakhilesh, you're waaaaaay off topic. I am not going to India. I'm really sorry that fodors opted to allow advertising on these threads. That's a big thumbs down in my book.

Leaving for OHare in about 3 hours.... and then flying off to Bangkok!!
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Flight out of Chicago was delayed over 3 hours. Missed my BKK connection at Narita, so I'm here at the Nikko Hotel for the night. Tomorrow I fly on Vietnam Airlines to Ho Chi Minh City and then onward to Bangkok, arriving about 18 hours later than planned. DS has called my Terminal 21 Hotel to save my room for me!!
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM

I think you are perhaps alone in the joy of going on vacation and having a washing machine!
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

BillT...LOL! Probably so.

I finally made it to Bangkok at 6:30 pm last night. I was in my beautiful suite by 7:45! Remarkable. No traffic jam along Sukhumvit.

I have a fabulous view looking to the north (?) direction, with the Westin in full view, and parts of Sukhumit.

I have two "issues" to mention to management today. The TV remote in the bedroom doesn't do anything, and the fancy "push pot" for my coffee doesn't POUR. The seal is broken and the pot isn't air tight so it won't pour water when you push the button down. Tough life sometime....

Still, it's good to be back in Bangkok. I'm going to be pretty lazy today even though I had a good sleep (at last).
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Ahhhha when you are at a loss of what to do next - how about a load of laundry?
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

BillT... you don't understand about how I pack (well maybe you DO, I know Olive likes to shop). If I have a washing machine I can pack a small amount of clothes, which makes room for all my new stuff!!! lol

Actually, I could have packed for the whole trip in one bag this time, without needing a washing machine.... but then, there are all those gifts for my friends who live here. THAT's a whole 'nother suitcase!

Off to VASU this morning. Not looking forward to the (poor) exchange rate right now. It's 29 or below... ugh! Will try to post when I know what the rate is.

A haircut/color i
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

A haircut/color is also on today's agenda. That's it!

Tomorrow is a birthday party for a Thai friend. The party will be at the J W Marriott buffet. Never been there before, so looking forward to that event.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:13 AM

Yes that is what we figured- less clothes mean more room for all the stuff to buy! Happy hunting. Depressing what has happened to the exchange rate- this administration's policies has continued to devalue the dollar.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

The exchange rate at VASU was 28.55. Worse than I thought or hoped it might be.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Wow that's bad- I feel good that I saved my Baht from our last trip.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

BillT, I always go home with left over baht. I agree, thank goodness I had some at a previous exchange rate.

I have just done a review of the Grande Centre Point Terminal 21 on TA, but it will not post for s couple of days. My rating is mostly good, but there are some things that were not to be as expected.

1. Broken hot pot (which got replaced when asked)
2. One TV remote needs new batteries, not yet dealt with, but if I shake the remote and slap it against my hand, it will work
3. No dishes or utensils in the myriad of "kitchen" cupboards and drawers. Found out the hard way when I had to eat my late night bowl of corn flakes in a water glass, with a very small plastic spoon that I was given with my 7-11 yogurt (Maybe a call to housekeeping could mean a supply of dining supplies?? Did not ask) There is a microwave with a Pyrex sort of bowl inside of it, but what's the use of cooking something in that bowl and not having forks to eat it!!
4. The suite is showing some wear, as in nicks in the veneer on the desk and sharp corners. Also, dark spots in the grouting of the floor tile... makes it feel a bit gritty...

On the positive side:
1. Space! My suite is very nice in size, with room for a "kitchen" with fridge, sink, microwave and hot pot.
2. Two big screen Samsung TVs. One in living area, one in bedroom.
3. Fancy toilet with gadgets for heating the seat, posterior washing, etc. You get the idea.
4. Location... excellent. Right at ASOK BTS station, and connected by very short exterior walkway to Terminal 21 shopping mall.
5. Internet is very good, and is free.
6. Breakfast buffet is very plentiful and international in flavor.

Will I stay here again? Not sure. If I do, I will not hesitate to book the same type of room I currently have: a grande deluxe suite

Heading off to the J W Marriott for a birthday brunch for a Thai friend of mine. Should be a very nice time. Looking forward to seeing more of the J W since I've only been in the lower lobby area thus far.

I'm thinking of going down to soi 57 to visit the new Marriott (where I will check in tomorrow for 4 nights) and ask what time I might check in (brand new so NOT full, I'm sure) and I'm Platinum with Marriott, so I want to see what that will "get me"..... lol Hopefully I will be able to use the executive lounge even though I'm in a serviced apartment and not the hotel itself. Hotel and serviced apartments are all in the same complex.

It's very hazy today. Could get a brief shower in a while, maybe? Bangkok is quite hot (but it IS April after all).

Looking forward to today!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Well, I just got back from soi 57. "Ex" at the front desk gave me a marvelous tour of the place. My apartment is (will be) smaller than what I currently have, by probably a third. BUT it has dishes and utensils, and it has a washing machine and dryer!! Whoop whoop!

I really like the rooftop bar, which just opened LAST NIGHT for business. You can tall by getting the tour that I got, that it a a brand new hotel. Ex says it was 3 years in the construction stages! The hotel has not yet had its official grand opening. Doubting that anyone has stayed in "my" apartment yet. It will be fresh and new. I'll break it in.

It does seem a bit far out on Sukhumvit at soi 57. Good news is skytrain station is almost right there.... maybe 5 minutes. You have to cross Thong Lo soi 55, which has a long stop light and can slow you down. Other than that, it is a fairly short hop to the BTS.

Ex says I can check in at anytime tomorrow morning. He will have my apartment ready for me anytime after breakfast!

Nice start to my stay at the new Marriott!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 09:00 PM

Hi Carol. Glad you are checking out a new place. I'm definitely with you on the washing machine. Love having the convenience of it especially since we also usually have a bit of time in Bangkok.

Also love the space of a serviced apartment.

I'll be following along with your trip
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mary. I am excited to try the new Marriott. Will post my review in a couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -