Anyone use Skyauction to Asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we'll be traveling in August, one of the most expensive times of year to travel to Asia from the US.
I'm trying to find an affordable ticket to Vietnam, and barring that, to Bangkok or Singapore.
Skyauction looked like they had some good deals, but I'm not sure if I trust them.
Anyone here have a good or bad experience with them?
Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM

The All Asia Pass at Cathay Pacific would get you there (and many other places) for only $999 as long as you leave on or after August 17. Maybe that price is not affordable enough for you, but I guess I'm just suggesting that you might get the best fare in the later part of August.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM

I've not used skyauction, so can't comment on that.

Generally the cheapest way to get to VN is through Bangkok. So I'd recommend that you look for airfare deals to Bangkok, then buy your tickets to VN from there.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi-
Unfortunately, the all asia pass doesn't cover Vietnam. Plus, we need to go before Aug. 17th. So, it would be $999, plus $300 for August, plus $250 for Hanoi. Not worth it at that point.
Kathie-Yes, I think you're right. I had the same problem when we went to Cambodia. Flew into BKK then to Siem Reap, overland back to BKK. I'm trying to avoid the RT into BKK. That said, probably the cheapest RT to BKK at that time is $850. I think RT to Hanoi from BKK is around $250.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM

Why not just get your ticket direct to Vietnam? I have seen some fares via Tokyo or Seoul to SGN for <$1,000 (for example, CO EWR-NRT, connect to JL). And if you live in a city with some Vietnamese, try one of those travel agent in Vietnamese Town, who can get you some good fares.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:40 AM

i've used skyauction a couple of years too go too Baruit, Lebenon and the price was good and the service was lagit.

maybe check what you can do by going threw hong kong. or taiwan. using either china airlines or EVA.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan-You're right about finding a local population and a travel agent. That has worked for me before in going to Thailand (I live in Southern California). However, no such luck yet for Vietnam. The least expensive quote I have for LAX-HAN-BKK-LAX is $1420! That's almost double of what I paid to go LAX-BKK-Siem Reap-(overland)-BKK-LAX in summer of 2002.
Orgy7-I'm still a little wary of Skyauction. I've heard stories of people having a hard time getting their money back if they couldn't get the flights they wanted. We need very specific dates so it probably won't work for us.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:37 PM

I don't understand. Do you have to go to BKK on this trip as well? If so, you should find the cheapest fare to BKK, and then get a local agent there to get you a cheap fare to HAN.

But if all you want to go is HAN, then a quick search on Travelocity (just an example), find a Korean fare for ~$890 including tax for LAX-ICN-HAN for like Mon-Fri in August.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:24 PM

Just want to add that on travelocity.com, i can book Phillippines Airlines LAX-MNL-BKK for ~$680 basically everyday of the week from mid-August onwards.

And both Thai Airways and Vietnamese Airlines have fares from BKK-HAN for $380 full-fare economy, or under $500 for business class. I'm sure you can find much lower fare with a travel agent either here or in Bangkok.

Therefore, you really cannot spend more than about $1,100 for a trip to BKK and HAN. You just cannot do LAX-HAN-BKK-LAX direct.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Ah yes, well, I don't have to go to BKK, but do want to. My husband and I both like the city very much and can't see going that far without a stopover there. I was trying to avoid having to go there first to get to Hanoi. Actually, I'm thinking of just trying to convince my husband that he doesn't "need" a few days at the Peninsula in Bangkok and forgoing it all together.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, on Travelocity, when I just put in my dates LAX-BKK, it gives me over $1200 RT as my first option. I don't understand why they do that. I discovered that you have to search via the "Low Fare Alert" option to find something cheaper.
Unfortuately, I'm limited by my job to when I can travel and have to leave in early August (so can't take advantage of Phillipine Airlines).
I guess my problem is that besides being limited by work (also I have to fly on weekends), I'm picky. If we fly into BKK, most flights arrive around midnight, and we effectively lose another day in transit.
Sigh. I'm just rying to find the best flight, for the best price, that allows us the most time there. I think I want what I can't have. Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Most flights to Bangkok from the US do arrive at midnight. There is no way around the amount of time you lose. I flew in to BKK at midnight, slept a few hours and flew to Hanoi on a flight around 8 am. We were at our hotel before noon.

I also find I have better luck at the individual airline sites. So, for instance, search at united.com. Form LA, you should be able to get to BKK (and back) for under $800.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie. I didn't realize you'd been to Vietnam too. Do you have a trip report?
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM

Yes, you can find it on this board - I was there in November, 2003. I think it's titled something like Updates on Hanoi. We just had a week for the VN portion of our trip, so we spent the whole week in Hanoi.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM

just an aside...when we flew from bkk to hanoi we flew on air france...i booked through a thai travel agent and go a good deal...
how about trying air france from usa to hanoi??
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk-
I checked the air france website. I'd have to fly from LAX to Cincinnati to Paris to get to Hanoi. 32 hours!
Good thought though...
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to add an update here:
I gave up on the idea of adding BKK into the mix and am just focusing on LAX-HAN.
I've contacted several Vietnamese travel agents here in LA. The best they could do for me was $1200 LAX-HAN on Cathay or EVA. It was odd, most of them didn't even ask specific dates, they just said "August? $1200!" Not very helpful, frankly. I've had better luck in the past using this method.
I also spoke to a Thai travel agent I've used and LAX-BKK is about $850 plus another $300 for BKK-HAN R/T. Back to square one.
I emailed several travel agents who advertise in the LA Times. Best I can get was $890 LAX-HAN on Korean Air, which my husband refuses to fly. Besides their questionable record, they have long (but not quite long enough for sightseeing) layover in Korea on the way home.
So, still looking at Skyauction. I'm thinking if I can find a cheap ticket ($500?) to HK for example, I can get another ticket for HK-HAN for about $300. I'm just concerned that they won't have the dates available I need and I'll have a hard time getting my money back.
Lest anyone think I'm being silly for worrying over $300-$400 on a ticket price, remember, I need 2 tickets, so that's $600-$800 difference. That amount goes a very long way in Vietnam.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM

It's unlikely you can find a fare for $500 to HKG in August, and I believe HKG-HAN fares are higher than BKK-HAN.

Again, no idea with Skyauction.