Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in NY up for a GTG first full week of May? Ekscrunchy? Editor Katie?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in NYC the first full week of May (4th through 11th) for the Wagnerian Ring cycle of operas. My free nights will be the 6th and 8th of May.

Anyone feel like having a GTG at that time?

Ekscrunchy, the panda brought up your name during the recent LA GTG and he would love to see you - but not in New York.

If anyone feels like a GTG, please email me at my junk email address at [email protected] or respond here.

A New Yorker will have to choose the restaurant, tho. I would be totally lost on that topic in NY!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM

easytraveler - you posted in Asia. It might be easier to get people to join us if you list it in the US/NY forum - LOL

Where will you be staying?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Hi easytraveler--I can't say for sure yet if I can commit to this as my mom is flying into town that week. As it inches closer (and you all pick a time) I will probably be able to meet up. Hope it works out!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM

And what about Editor Doug?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Katie: Keeping my fingers crossed that you can make it! Bring your Mom!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Centralparkgirl: What a great suggestion!

For the past few days, I've just been struggling with this monster tree that's between two properties and my neighbor has left everything up to me - she's so trusting. When her husband returns from a business trip he'll find the tree gone! We just have to get the root out is all - and we've already run through half a dozen sawzall blades!

Otherwise I'll try to get my act together and post as regularly as I can!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM

You know maybe that could work; she's definitely been known to lurk here...I'll check with Doug too.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM

I would be interested..

I love the comment about Panda; I guess he can travel to the back of beyond in China but not come near the turf of the dreaded Yankees!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:17 AM

I would be interested too -- let's try to think day/time as I think that would help people pin this down. You could get a lot of interest in the NY forum or none at all -- the great thing about the gtg shainghaise (sp??) put together a few years ago is that we all had our asian trips as a reference point to start the conversation.
For me -- Friday afternoon, early evening is often best.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Good morning, New Yorkers! And greetings from the West Coast!

Shall we set it for Friday, the 8th, then? Will this be a better date for everyone, seeing that it's the beginning of a weekend?

Katie: that'll be so much fun to have your Mom there! It'll be a double bonus!

And if you can persuade Doug to come, then it'll be a triple bonus!

ekscrunchy: glad you can make it! We have much to discuss vis-a-vis the panda.

jenskar: we don't have much of a theme except just to have Fodorites get together and have a bit of fun, conversation, and drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) - maybe food can be thrown in as well!

Centralparkgirl: can you change to the 8th if that's the date that is decided upon? If not, we could have our own mini-GTG on Wednesday.

Could I impose on you New Yorkers to come up with a restaurant that would be convenient for most people? TIA!

(Now back to the monster tree!)
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM

ET -- I'd love to attend if you have an extra WR opera ticket but will patiently wait for your return so we can go on our xiaolongbao mini-GTG.

The GTG jenskar (hi there!) mentioned was in Dec 07 at the Shanghai Tea Garden, 141 East 55th Street off Lexington, the metro stop is Citicorp Center. www.ourplace-teagarden.com For 14 people it was $27/pp, buy your own wine. Baaj from Fodors was the mystery guest Katie sent with the goodies.

I also met EK (DS wants to know when are you in Shanghai next) there too in Feb last year with my DS.

Make sure someone reliable takes photos, our volunteer photographer Ggreen went MIA after the GTG.

Have fun!!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM

On May 8, I will be in Ann Arbor for my daughter-in-law's law school graduation. While my presence is merely ceremonial, I can't miss it. Plus, my d-i-l really likes Mrs. Panda. You will have to go forward without me. Whatever you do, don't leave it to EKS to write the report about the GTG. All will be penalized.

Easytraveler, too bad it appears that you will not be in Boston, the cradle of liberty. Perhaps you could stop in your eastern travels.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM

I can go Wednesday lunch or dinner; Friday I would rather do lunch.

I had an excellent meal at Shanghai Cafe at 100 Mott Street recently, if we want to eat Shanghai. But it is no frills.

The dim sum here has received good reports on Chowhound; the atmosphere is nicer than Shanghai Cafe. Dishes are made fresh, no carts.

http://www.redeggnyc.com/menu.htm
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Shanghainese: we'll HAVE to meet in June for XLB! Thanks for the good wishes!

gpanda: I'm really not happy over the terrible mixup which prevents me from coming into Boston. We'll just have to wait until October.

You do realize that ekscrunchy has a gifted pen - when she does decide to put it to paper?

ekscrunchy: Centralparkgirl wants to do it on Wednesday. Maybe the three of us could meet then?

I don't mind splitting things up - just more good food and drinks and great company to look forward to!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM

If Weds is really better for everyone else, right now I have no appointments that day so could probably get into town. Friday's are always easiest, that's all. I can go with the flow
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I am leaving Saturday for one week. So don't think I am forgetting. I probably won't have a computer. But I am around Friday, tomorrow---
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

jenskar: thanks for your generous offer! We may have to take you up on that offer!

We'll have to combine the different threads on the three different forums and see what the general consensus is on the date.

ekscrunchy: Have a great week! We wouldn't let you forget!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi, all!

Could we please, please, please combine everything on the US forum thread?

'cause I'm easily confused!

I'll post the selected possible meeting places on the US thread. Please join me there.

Thanks muchly!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Update on the US forum. Please check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -