Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone here that can share some info about Cambodia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

My wife and I have just started thinking about an Easter vacation (beginning of April) and we like Asia as a vacation destination. We have already been to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand several times so maybe it is time to try something new. Does anyone here have any experience with Cambodia? At the moment I guess a trip would include stops in Siam Reap (for Ankor Wat), Phnom Phen and a beach destination. Are there nice hotels along the coast? What are the beaches like? Are there places where you can go snorkeling? Is it easy to get around in the country by bus/train etc? How about price level for food, hotels etc? Anyone got any trip reports/blogs that they can share with us?

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM

Gard,

Just wanted to point out that you should take into consideration that mid April is a holiday(Thai, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia) in most S.E. Asian country. You should plan to conclude your vacation before that otherwise it's quite hectic especially for transportation.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for that. Is that the Songkran? I have heard a lot about it and how it is celebrated in Thailand. Is it the same in Cambodia?

Regards
Gard
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been several trip reports here about Cambodia including a very recent one that included Battambang and the coast. Mine is at www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2002, last three pieces.

Take a look at talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide.htm
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM

I know Sihanoukville is a popular Cambodian beach destination, but haven't been myself.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Yes Gard it's call "Songkran" or the Thai new year in Thailand and it's pretty much the new year holiday for Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar as well.

In Thailand the traditional celebration is by gently pouring water over the hands of other people and most of the Wats will have ceremonies to "bath" all the Buddha statues or idols with big processions as well. However, it has grown into one big water fight especially for Chiang Mai and certain part of Bangkok(Khao San Road etc). Most people take the week off and thus the train, buses and domestic flights are usually very, very full.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hi Gard

Making the triangle from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap to the beach is a good choice for a first visit to Cambodia.

April will be hot and I agree that local transportation will be overflowing during the new year holiday. Either avoid that time or make your arrangements ahead of time for transportation. It's actually a festive time to be in Cambodia.

Yes there are nice hotels along the coast. Also plenty of less developed places to visit that are easy to get to if the Sihanoukville "vibe" isn't right for you.

Recommend you go to LP and download the chapter called "South Coast"
http://tinyurl.com/9znvxn
to see what speaks to you.

A trip up to Bokor is worth the trouble if you've got time.

Not sure about snorkeling; not my thing. Maybe someone else can answer.

It's easy enough to get around in the country. There are no trains, unless you count the bamboo train, which is not to be missed if you are in Battambang area. Buses ply the main routes; best to stick to private coaches rather than any public buses. Better chance of the AC working and less flat tires. Taxis are also on every corner, and will take you anywhere, anytime if the price is right.

Getting around overland is slow; it has to be done mostly in the daylight hours. There are budget flights from Siem Reap to PP, but not yet to the coast.

You can't rent a car in Cambodia and in many towns, can't rent a motorbike either.

For food and hotels, it's all over the place. You can have a $1 breakfast at a guesthouse that's costing you $8 a night, all the way up to $40 brunch served poolside at a $700 a night french hotel. And everything in between. Most people are perfectly happy at a $30 a night place, likewise with a $4 meal. Maybe splurge every once in a while when the mood strikes; there are plenty of top notch places to eat, drink and be merry.

Go to Cambodia sooner rather than later. It's changing quickly.

Look forward to seeing your plans develop. I hope I can help you as much as your reports helped me in the past.

I have a few photos at www.pbase.com/loricarlson I think a couple of them link to trip reports.

Cambodia is hands down my favorite area of Southeast Asia. I think you will have a great trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Can anyone recommend any trip reports and pictures?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Mango, there are literally zillions of trip reports here on Cambodia! DO a search.

photos: www.marlandc.com
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks Kathie
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Re the suggestion of a trip to the Bokor Hill Station. Check that the road is open first before you go down to Kampot. I got caught last year but had a very relaxed day at Kampot! I stayed at the Little Garden Guesthouse which was very nice (and friendly staff) at about $20US with air conditioning or $14 without.

Also check out Travelfish for info on Cambodia.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I have two trips to Cambodia on my website, one in July 2002 and one in Dec 2007.

http://www.wired2theworld.com

For anyone contemplating going to Cambodia, especially to see the temples of Angkor, I say GO NOW. The changes I saw in the 5 years between trips were staggering, and not necessarily in a good way. Still, it's a great trip and I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Speaking of transportation, our boat trip between Siem Reap and PP was fascinating although long and cost as much as other ways. We got to see life along the river; lots of photo ops.
There is 1 thing to be wary of. We got to the port in SR very early. 2 guys met us, approached our driver who let the 2 handle our 2 luggages and loaded them into the boat. My spouse handed them $2 for tip; but no, they demanded some ridiculous amount like $5 (or was it $10 ?, can't remember the exact amount). My spouse paid not knowing what to expect if he doesn't pay up. Later on as others were arriving and being demanded money, I saw that the new arrivals were refusing to pay. Not that $3 will break me, and it probably means a lot to them, but being taken advantage of bothers me.
Other than those 2 characters, Cambodians are wonderful .
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Before planning to take the boat instead of the bus or a car between Siem Reap and PP, I strongly recommend reading this: talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-get.htm - search on boat to find the right section. If you want to take a boat trip in Cambodia, better to do the trip to Vietnam.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Gard,
We just returned from Siem Reap and absolutely loved Cambodia and the people. We thought they were even friendlier than the Thai people and that is saying alot. I agree that you must go soon. You can see the changes going on in Siem Reap now and I'm afraid that it will lose its foreigness and charm in a short time. As for prices, we ate well for very little. Entrees in many places were only $3/person. We stayed at the Bopha Angkor Hotel which was situated only moments walking distance from town and which had lots of charm. The major drawback - especially at the time of year you intend to go, is that their is no air conditioned lobby or restaurant to get a reprieve from the heat.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM

Hi Gard

I visited Cambodia in December last year and have to say I really enjoyed the trip...I think the Angkor archaeological site in Siem Reap is beautiful but it spans a wide area so u can probably buy a 3-day pass if u want to fully take in the sights... for the meals, at typical cafes and restaurants in Bar Street in Siem Reap, they are around US$3-5. Bar Street is a lively street with lots of restaurants popular with tourists. Beers are also very cheap, with happy hour prices for draft beer as low as US$0.70... as for accommodation, I would recommend Good Kind Guesthouse in Siem Reap... the prices are really cheap, around US$10 for a double ensuite airconditioned room and the rooms are big and comfortable... the people running the guesthouse are really friendly too... for transport,tuk-tuks are a great way to get around almost anywhere... with some bargaining, u can get to most nearby places (those within abt 15 mins ride) for US$2... Alternatively u can hire a driver for a whole day... it cost us US$12 for the driver's entire day services covering quite a few places.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for your feedback so far. We have come up with this plan now: Bangkok-Ho Chi Minh City-Siam Reap-Phnom Penh and then back to Bangkok. We have about 11 days to cover Ho Chi Minh City, Siam Reap and Phnom Penh and we are thinking about doing 5 days in Ho Chi Minh City, 3 days in Siam Reap and 3 days in Phnom Penh. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Or Should we spend more time in Siam Reap or Phnom Penh?

Regards
Gard
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:28 AM

If by 3 days, you mean 2 nights, I would add one more night to SR, taking away one night from HCMC. @ nights in PP sounds reasonable to me. Sure you would rather not visit Hanoi instead of HCMC?
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Sorry, that should be 2 nights in PP would be ok.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Agree with Femi - you need four nights/three days in Siem Reap. Also, why are you going Saigon-Siem-Reap-PP and not Saigon-PP-Siem Reap? I would highly recommend going by land and boat between Saigon and PP, and by car or bus between PP and SR. I won't go as far as recommending going overland between SR and Bangkok, since you are pushed for time, although I've done it and it was interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -