Anyone been to Tioman in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, thinking of visiting around mid feb - anyone been that time of year? We don't mind rain, its been a bit rainy here on east coast thailand too, but heard it all shuts down a bit this time of year. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:10 AM

The resorts off the east coast of Malaysia did traditionally used to close for the winter monsoon, generally from about mid-October to early March. However, due to long-haul travelers who don't know much better, IMO, they now stay open.

February is kind of a crap shoot, you can get days of rain (I used to live in Singapore, but am here today and it is very nice, but was completely overcast yesterday and who knows about tomorrow), or you can get nice weather. It will just depend on luck. Remeber also, that the area has been pouned by rain for the previous months, and winds as well, so things are churned up which will make snorelkng not as good and diving much less so. Also, heavy cloud cover will obscure the good colour of coral and fish even if it isn't raining.

But overall, IMO, Tioman is NOT nearly the nicest island in this area by any stretch of the imagination . It is quite developed with rather mediocre resorts or backpacker places, and the beaches are not that nice and there is really very litte snorkeling off the beaches. I would never recco that anyone go there in any event. In Feb, I would go further north to the Redany area which is going to have a better chance of being out of the rain which is moving south.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM

Sorry, that is supposed to be <u>Redang</u> Islands, off of Kuala Terrenganu. No spell check today, I am in a hotel...
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we're looking for an easy travel in and out really, as we're travelling with our two year old, and have found buses, boats etc are not great for her (or us as a result).
Will look into Redang, so thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:07 AM

I really enjoyed JapaMala on Tioman in March. Excellent snorkeling was just a short boat ride away.

www.japamalaresorts.com
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 03:49 AM

Agreed Bisbee, March can be fantastic for snorkeling, because the monsoon winds have eased by then and the dry season renders the sea almost glass-like from the lack of sediment.

That said, February generally is another kettle of fish, pardon the pun. February is still peak monsoon, not so much in terms of rain, but definitely in terms of choppy seas and, hence, more murky water.

You'll find that the beaches also have been slashed away by the high monsoon waves. The sand is usually deposited back by March, so no worries, but in Tioman February will be like without her makeup, so to speak.

Conclusion: Best go in March.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:10 AM

You do know this thread is 5 years old?