Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for sights to see in Okinawa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

In November the Crabby Old Guy and I will be flying to Okinawa to attend our Marine son's wedding. Since we have no intention of joining the honeymoon LOL I was wondering what we can see and do after the wedding. Thanks for your help.

Stay Savvy!
Hugs,
The Savvy Old Lady(c)
ww.thesavvyoldlady.com
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM

It's been quite some years since my last visit, but I would recommend visiting the Rikyu palace (cannot remember the exact name, but it was refurbished maybe about 10yrs ago or so). I also enjoyed browsing through a part of town with lots of open-air pottery stalls. Pretty impressive kiln-works, styles are more folksy than sophisticated, but we bought a couple of sake set and a vase. I recall it was close to a covered market in central part of Naha.

Best beaches are not in Okinawa Isl but outside where you take either a small plane or a ferry. Within Okinawa Island proper, the better beaches are in the north (you'll probably need a car).

Oh, and don't forget the local BlueSeal icecream.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM

There are just way too many good sights to see when traveling to Okinawa but I will try to list a few of the top places to check out while on the main Island (Okinawa Honto)

W9London was talking about Shuri Castle

http://www.okinawa-information.com/n...eing_tours.htm

The former Ryukyu Kingdoms palace that was rebuilt a few years ago after it was destroyed during the battle of Okinawa in WWII

Then I would have to say you have to visit Churaumi Aquarium

http://www.okinawa-information.com/m...hts_travel.htm

This is one of the biggest Aquariums in the world and seeing the giant whale sharks is very impressive indeed

I would say another great place to visit is Okinawa World

http://www.okinawa-information.com/i...an_okinawa.htm

They have all the cultural stuff in one place so you can experience history, music and dance all in one day, there are also some really cool limestone caves to explore and a really old forest where they found ancient remains.

These are just a few but deffiently on the top of my list of favorite places to take people in Okinawa.

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Hello Kennoo,

thanks for the post. I'm heading to Okinawa in February, to take advantage of the cooler weather and the off season. I'll look at your suggestions, but I also wanted to find out your suggestions for boat rides/tours and/or visits to the nearby islands (day trip only- not looking for a 14 hour ferry ride!)
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM

If you are traveling to Okinawa you might consider visting the main part of Japan.

Both ANA and JAL have special priced tickets for visitors (Yokoso fare, or Visit Japan Fare). It would cost about 12,500 yen to fly one way between any two cities in Japan. This would include airports in Okinawa prefecture.

You might buy a ticket to Tokyo and from there fly on the special fare to Okinawa and back to Tokyo (or Osaka, etc).
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Hello mrwunrfl,

I'm already doing that. My flight comes into Narita, I stay overnight in Tokyo, and then the next day I fly from Haneda using one of the Welcome Japan air vouchers I have in hand (two vouchers for 26,000 yen.) I return about four days later for a few days in Tokyo before heading home.