Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for restaurants in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Cambodia in a couple of days. Would someone please recommend us restaurants worth visiting (any price range).

Also, any suggestions where to stay at Phnom Penh?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Here's my list for Siem Reap. I stole the descriptions from Canbypublications, so thanks to them for that.

If you're feeling adventurous, the best local food I've found is at a little dive called Heng An. It's on Wat Bo Street. No one there speaks english, but the menus are in english and khmer. The food is dirt cheap, always good, the ice is safe. The fried snakehead fish is with green mango sauce is amazing. The rice with pork and an ice coffee with milk is the best breakfast ever and costs $2. The Amok is great, as are the frog dishes. Do not, I repeat do not, eat any western food there.

------------
Aha
The uber chic Hotel de la Paix has just unveiled this stylish new a/c restaurant and wine bar on The Passage (Pub Street Alley), combined with the McDermott Gallery and The Only One Collection, creating an amazing, inviting contemporary space in the heart of the Old Market area. The superior wine selection goes with out saying and the kitchen is offering up an array of ‘small plates’ inspired by Hotel de la Paix’s restaurant Meric - Khmer cuisine and beyond - Grilled Prawns and Radicchio with Duck Confit and even Green Mango and Dried Snake Salad for the adventurous.
Pub Street alley
7:30AM - Late
Tel: 063-965501

Blue Pumpkin-I'm not a big fan, but they do have good pastries.....
Popular, thoroughly modern restaurant/bar offering contemporary menu and ambiance. Curbside and indoor café seating and a comfortable a/c sofa lounge upstairs with full bar. Free WiFi access!!. Nicely prepared pastas, salads, pita sandwiches and finger foods. Burger and fries. Breakfast. Good selection of great, fresh made ice creams. Excellent fresh baked breads and pastries. Reasonably priced.
Visa/MC/JCB/ANZ
Old Market area
6:00AM - Midnight
Tel: 012-946227

Soup Dragon--Have the grilled pork chops with lemongrass and chilis. Their Pho is good also.

Three floors of comfortable, airy seating. Reasonably priced entrees, soups, BBQ and a wide variety of Vietnamese dishes. The Soup Ch’nang Dae is a great value. Rooftop bar. Good reviews. Happy hour. Located one block from the Old Market.
Old Market area, near the hospital
6:00AM - Late
Tel: 063-964933

Khmer Kitchen
Some people love this place. I do not. They have one baked pumpkin dish that is wonderful, otherwise, I think there are better places to get Khmer food.
It's just across from the Old Market

Viroth’s-I adore this place, but bring your mosquito spray

Finely prepared Khmer cuisine with a modern touch created by lauded chef Viroth. Spot on service in a stylish terrace garden setting with both covered and open-air seating available. Viroth’s is receiving excellent reviews from patrons, restaurant reviewers and guidebooks alike. The traditional Khmer dish Amok is truly something special at Viroth’s. Cake and ice cream.
Visa/MC/JCB/AMEX
Wat Bo Road
Lunch and Dinner
Tel: 012-826346
E-mail: [email protected]

Sugar Palm Restaurant
The popular Sugar Palm restaurant is now open in Siem Reap. Lovely balcony restaurant in a traditional wooden house offering a comfortable, gracious atmosphere and serving a good selection of authentic home-style Khmer dishes. Nice place for a romantic dinner or just a good authentic Khmer meal. Dishes include including chicken banana flower salad, coconut soup, prahok kh’tih and more. Full bar with wine list and extensive cocktail menu.
Taphul Road
Lunch and Dinner
Tel: 063-964838

Shinta Mani-they have really wonderful salads here.

Contemporary cuisine created with an emphasis on local flavors and organic produce. Excellent wine selection, cocktails, full bar. Impeccable service.
A/c and outdoor seating.
Visa/MC/AMEX
Old French Quarter, behind the Post Office
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Tel: 063-761998
E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.shintamani.com

Chamkar Restaurant
Unique little Cambodian restaurant on Pub Street alley - the only place on the alley focusing exclusively on vegetarian fare. Sweet potato curry, stir fried egg plant medley, vegetarian oysters, spring rolls and several other dishes and sweets. All 100% vegetarian - no fish sauce, no MSG, etc. Very pleasant sidewalk seating as well as an indoor dining room. Full bar. Sunday hours: 5PM-11PM.
Pub Street Alley, Old Market area
11:00AM - 11:00PM
Tel: 092-733150

Chez Sophéa & Matthieu-a must when at Angkor Wat.

Amazing location. Moderately priced set menu and a la carte Khmer
and French dishes served in a little pleasant covered open air restaurant opposite the entrance of Angkor Wat. Obvious attention to detail in preparation and presentation. Confit de Canard. Beef Bourguignon. Cheeses and wines. Open until at least 7:30PM. Recommended.
Opposite Angkor Wat
7:00AM - 9:00PM
Tel: 012-858003

Carnets d'Asie
Address No. 333 Sivatha, Siem Reap
Phone 063/746-701
Web Site www.carnetsdasie-angkor.com

Hotel De la Paix
Café de la Paix offers a range of specialties including fresh sandwiches, baguettes, paninis and Mediterranean inspired salads; Meric offers an international and seasonally inspired Khmer menu showcasing the distinctive harvests of local farmers. Australian Chef Paul Hutt heads the culinary team; Wine Cellar Floor-to-ceiling, temperature controlled wine racks housing an extensive collection of international wines. The Arts Lounge Dining, an international wine list and innovative cocktail menu served amongst a changing exhibits of modern and traditional Cambodian art forms.
Visa/MC/JCB/AMEX
Sivatha Blvd.
8:00AM - 10:00PM
Tel: 063-966000

IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT

FCC Angkor (Foreign Correspondents Club)
Sister restaurant to Phnom Penh’s famous FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club), the FCC Angkor carries on the tradition of excellence in cuisine, service and venue. FCC Angkor is set in the tranquil Old French quarter, amongst mature trees alongside the Siem Reap River. FCC Angkor offers an extensive menu of moder- ately price international, fusion and locally-inspired contemporary fare. Full bar, wine selection, cocktail menu. Comfortable, airy, open first floor seating as well as pond-side patio seating overlooking the Siem Reap River. Shopping on the ground floor including a book store, travel agency, boutiques, galleries and the Visaya Spa & Pool.
Visa/MC
Pokambor Street
7:00AM - Midnight
Tel: 063-760280
Web Site: www.fcccambodia.com

Meric
Set in the Khmer-touched contemporary Art Deco stylings of the luxurious Hotel de la Paix, the fine Khmer and Western culinary offerings of restaurant Meric reflect both the combined and distinct cultural qualities of its surroundings. The dinner menu includes a finely prepared seven course traditional Khmer dinner, time-honored Western favorites and perfectly nuanced Western-Asian fusions. One of Siem Reap’s premier dining experiences.
Hotel de la Paix
6:00AM - 10:30PM
Tel: 063-966000

Le Bistrot de Siem Reap
Le Bistrot de Siem Reap is the signature restaurant of Victoria Angkor Resort and one of Siem Reap’s finest dining venues - serving modern French fare in elegant, comfortable surroundings. Featured dishes include Australian Rack of Lamb in Charon Sauce and Sautéed Fresh Duck Liver with Mango Chutney as well as more traditional French offerings. Wine selection and fine liquors and spirits.
Visa/MC/JCB/AMEX
Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa
6:30PM - 10:30PM
Tel: 063-760428

And then there's Samot. Sigh. Bring your wallet, don't be in a hurry. Bring a book or something. Drink A LOT of wine.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Excellent info. Thanks a lot.

Can you recommend a nice hotel in Phnom Penh?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Wow - can't top that list. Amazing work offwego.

I think linnette's being greedy now lol.

Go to Raffles in Phnom Penh. Simple.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM

If you don't feel like spending over $200 a night at the Raffles then have a look at the following

Amanjaya - a little over priced but excellent. http://www.amanjaya.com/

Bougainville - This is where I have stayed. http://www.bougainvillierhotel.com/i

Imperial Garden - http://www.imperialgarden-hotel.com/

Foreign Correspondents Club - http://www.fcccambodia.com/phnom_pen...penh_hotel.php

Quay Hotel http://www.thequayhotel.com/

As for restaurants try

Foreign Correspondents Club - A little expensive but good food. If not a meal then have a drink here.

La Croisette (Sisowath Quay / Street 144) - a french-style cafe on the waterfront where you can get baguettes with ham, cheese and salami, french onion soup and orange or lemon pressé. Great for lunch.

Cafe Monivong - at the La Royal Hotel has a good buffet from around $20 if you want to splurge.

Riverhouse - Dine in elegance. French and Royal Khmer food. H 6 St 110 corner Sisowath quay

Frizz Cafe (335 Sisowath Quay) good Khmer food,
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:23 PM

You gals are incredible.
TWO fantastic lists.