Reload this Page >

Andrea-Where to shop in Shanghai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 02:56 PM
cpawson

I will be leaving for China next week --- and would like to know if you can suggest <BR>the best place (places) to shop in Shanghai. <BR>Also, where did you find "good" food with the locals. <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 01:13 AM
mark

for good chinese food you should go to a place called '1221' (very popular restaurant). Excellent views to the old and new Shanghai at 'M-on-the-Bund', a contemporary western restaurant. Most stunning place to eat is at Grand Hyatt Hotel (on Level 63 within JinMao Tower). Shopping is an experience at Nanjing Road. But be aware that English is not understood!! Chinese Souveniers and silk you will find at YuYuan Garden. Please ask your Hotel concierge for assistance. Western Shops are mainly around Shanghai Centre (Portman Ritz Carlton Hotel)

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 01:14 AM
mark

for good chinese food you should go to a place called '1221' (very popular restaurant). Excellent views to the old and new Shanghai at 'M-on-the-Bund', a contemporary western restaurant. Most stunning place to eat is at Grand Hyatt Hotel (on Level 63 within JinMao Tower). Shopping is an experience at Nanjing Road. But be aware that English is not understood!! Chinese Souveniers and silk you will find at YuYuan Garden. Please ask your Hotel concierge for assistance. Western Shops are mainly around Shanghai Centre (Portman Ritz Carlton Hotel)

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 02:38 PM
gayle

Many threads recommend M on the Bund for an eating experience with a view and now Mark you also recommend "1221" - It sounds like a great experience but waht sort of price range are these places. Are there any low cost options of their menus that will let us experience the place/view without breaking the bank?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:26 AM
mark

gayle,<BR>shanghai isn't as expensive as hong kong or singapore so check the menu and prices at http://www.m-onthebund.com/e/ <BR>The other place 1221 is cheaper (expect USD 20 p.person/dinner)

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 08:07 AM
lynn

Mark -<BR><BR>Are the prices on the M on the Bund menu US$$? I'm hoping they're in Chinese Yuan...<BR><BR>Lynn<BR><BR

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Sigrid

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Beijing middle of June. We are big travelers but this is our first time in Asia. We are looking for overall advice as to places to eat and shop as well as overall advice on transportation and must-knows. Thanks so much to all who reply to this message

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 10:41 AM
Sigrid-- Beijing advice

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Beijing middle of June. We are big travelers but this is our first time in Asia. We are looking for overall advice as to places to eat and shop as well as overall advice on transportation and must-knows. Thanks so much to all who reply to this message

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:55 PM
Andrea

Restaurants: When I just read the posts above on the costs at M on the Bund, and your reply hoping that they are in RMB, I thought (assuming that prices on the web would have been in USD), "Oh, poor dear, it's just an expensive place - but it's not THAT expensive!" But I checked out the website, and the prices ARE in RMB. So you can divide by roughly 8.3.<BR><BR>We take EVERYONE who comes to town to M on the Bund - there are some new restaurants here trying to compete with M, but you can never beat its location. For me, eating fabulous food in a wonderfully decorated Western restaurant on the Bund in Shanghai is a quintessential Shanghai experience. But if you don't want to spend for a meal like that, here's a tip: the management has opened up a much less expensive, casual Italian restaurant on the same floor as M on the Bund. You don't get the view, but you can eat and then walk through M and get your requisite pictures of you on the terrace overlooking the Bund at night (illuminated between 8 and 11, I think). <BR><BR>1221 is also a standard stop, because it has great Chinese food that appeals to Westerners (the crowd has always been about 80% local Chinese when I've been there).<BR><BR>Another one in that vein is Henry, on Xin Guo Lu and Shanxi Lu (ask your concierege to write it out in Chinese). The restaurant has clean, art-deco inspired lines, and pretty good food. Inexpensive. I think my parents and I ate there (ordering lots of dishes to sample) for US $35. <BR><BR>If you want to combine a bit more upscale place with Chinese food (and an ambiance from the 1920's heyday of Shanghai), the Chinese restaurant in the Peace Hotel is a great place. Price-wise, I think it's in between M on the Bund and the less-expensive places. The hotel has a fabulous history too - be sure to pick up "Shanghai 37" in the bookstore (many hotel bookstores in Shanghai carry it, as does the art museum).<BR><BR>The benefit of the above Chinese restaurants is that they have English menus, which the "local" places will not. <BR><BR>Bi Feng Tang is a perennial locals' favorite - it's a fun, frenzied atmosphere (and dirt cheap), with good dim sum style food. No English menus, though, so you'll have to bring a tourist guide w. menu-words in Chinese characters or just trust in your luck. There is a large Bi Feng Tang across the street from the Portman Hotel on Nanjing Lu.